Author Topic: 4mm AN... What Are Your Symtoms?  (Read 16332 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: 4mm AN... What Are Your Symtoms?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 07:33:40 am »
Hello all!! It was interesting to see everyone's responses to this.  I had an 8mm and I was losing my hearing fairly bad when I decided to go get it checked out. I also have had tinnitus for about 3 years prior.  Then the third thing I had that was out of ordinary was a couple of times I would wake up with SEVERE vertigo, the room was just absolutely spinning with no stopping.  So in many ways my symptoms were like most everyone else, in one form or another!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

ColaBurns

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 06:46:04 pm »
Hi Jay, what was your deciding factor to have this thing removed? I've been debating for the past couple of weeks as the Vertigo is really starting to mess with me and now I'm having random bouts of facial twitching on the right side where the tumor is. Hoping to get more info in a month at Mayo Clinic!
Diagnosed June 25th, 2010
Acoustic Neuroma: 4mm right side
Doctor: Dr. Fucci in Chandler, AZ
I now belong to the Watch and Wait Brigade!

jerseyboy

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 08:25:27 pm »
Suzanne,
My AN is also 4mm, has shown no growth in the last 18 months, yet my symptoms are similar to yours, and they're terrible.  Last week I had another vertigo attack for about 8 hours and had to stay home from work.  I saw one doctor last week, who recommended Vestibular Therapy, and am seeing another tomorrow.  I have noted that exogenous varibales really set me off.  First, listening to the radio or ipod via in-ear earphones sets off my (headache) symptoms.  I now avoid in-ear earphones.  Second, eating very salty food, such as salty popcorn, sets of my (vertigo) symptoms.  Vertigo can be generated by a change in the level of fluids in your system, which can be affected by the level of salt in your system.  Try avoiding salt and see if that helps.  I'm flying to Florida next Tuesday night.  If you're near Palm Beach or Delray Beach we can meet for a drink in the evening and share information.
jerseyboy
Watch and wait since May 2009.

Mickey

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 09:00:08 am »
Hi there!!

Its amazing how such a small AN - 4 mm - can cause such problems. I guess a lot has to do with location. While mine is 12 mm, I did have symptoms but they have reduced to mainly tinnitus. Everything has pretty much stabilized since diagnosis going into 4 years now. What I did do I have mentioned before in W+W posts of basically a healthy lifestyle with supplements and exercise. I used to get migraines which I have reduced to basically the warning signs (aura) then just fades away with no or very minor headache. I can live pretty much a normal life like this also considering that things were worse for me even before diagnosis.  Keeping the faith and hoping everyone feels better soon. Happy Holidays! Mickey
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 02:15:43 pm by Jim Scott »

mgrunblatt

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 09:57:36 pm »
7mm AN on left, first diagnosed in 2006 at 5 mm.  My symptoms began with hearing loss, tinnitus, dizziness and facial tics.  Botox relieved the tics.  Dizziness gradually diminished as I carried all work either in a backpack or in front of me.  Without heavy briefcases in one hand, my body re-learned its center.  I still catch myself walking diagonally thru parking lots sometimes, but I feel confident driving again.  The tinnitus can drive me to distraction and has become almost constant.  Speakerphones or pressing the receiver against the bone above my ear improves telephone comprehension.  I often must reflect back others' statements to make sure I understand them.  I have reduced facial function on the left, uneven smile, incomplete blinking, tearing and limited movement, partly masked by a full beard.  I sought treatment for depression, which has helped improve concentration.  Some days are just hard, and I do less.