Author Topic: FATIGUE  (Read 6909 times)

cecile k

Re: FATIGUE
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 10:18:18 pm »
Hi Angela:

Fatigue and headaches are very much a part of my life. I am nearly nine years post op after removal of my AN. My recovery took ages and that was pushing myself to the limit. At the time of my surgery my boys were 4, 7, 10, 12, 14 and I was eager to get on with my life and being their mother. God had other plans. I was forced to take it slow - in hospital for two weeks, recuperating at my parent's place for five weeks just learning how to regain my balance and walk stairs, then home again with A LOT of help. Two of my boys were with friends for two months during the time my Hubby was at work. I simply did not have the energy to care for them. Meals were brought to me for two months as well by church folks who were fantastic.

It took years for me to feel someone 'normal' whatever normal is post AN. I have had to deal with an abundance of headaches/tinnitus which didn't help the fatigue either. Fatigue is just a part of my life - I need a lot of rest and am blessed to be able to stay at home and not have to go out to work (we live a frugal lifestyle, living simply but contentedly :-)

I do feel that it is hard for people to understand why I am often tired but that's ok....that is why we have this forum to encourage one another. I also find that you have to look after yourself and, when I am asked to help at functions where there are a lot of people and it's busy, I just have learned to say no. This has been a huge thing for me to be able to say no. Helping others in our church one on one is a good fit for me so that is what I quietly do.

OK, I'm rambling but I hope this encourages you a little to take care of yourself. You may want to print off some responses for others to read (your co workers/family). That has been helpful for me.

All the best!

Angela R.

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 10:28:25 am »
Thanks, Cecile.  It is hard when people don't understand.  If they aren't tired, they expect you to not be tired.  I have learned that I have new limits and I am the only one who will, can and should set my own limits.  Just admitting that, doing it and not feeling guilty about it has really helped!  And hearing all of your stories - totally helps me not feel so alone!
6/2010 translabyrinthine surgery, total hearing loss in the right ear
10/2007 gamma knife surgery

Tumbleweed

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 12:24:57 pm »
Angela, I suffered from profound exhaustion for two months following my treatments (CK). I found that Rhodiola rosea, a natural herbal extract, cut my fatigue fully in half. You can buy it at a natural-food store or online. It doesn't contain any caffeine, but you should nevertheless not take it past, say, 2 PM, as it might otherwise keep you awake at night. Otherwise, I found it had no side effects. Find the best source you can, as quality makes a huge difference in its effectiveness. The best brand I found was Oregon Wild Harvest. It seemed to work better than the NOW brand rhodiola rosea.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Shan1014

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 01:55:17 pm »
Hi,

You have already gotten great advice here so I will just give you my experience.  I had a fairly large tumor also and a not-so-fast recovery but... no complications really.  I am a teacher and had my surgery in March and took the rest of the school year off and then had the summer to recover, fortunately.  I was taking 2-3 hour naps daily through June... so about 4 months.  At that point I had worked myself up to running 30-45 min. a day but I still needed that nap! 
Now, I am 6 weeks post radiation and experiencing quite a bit of fatigue from that but... I am working... usually 4 days a week.  But I am hoping that turns around in the next few weeks.
Good luck and take care of yourself.
Shannon
4.1cm AN 85% de-bulked on 3/09/10
Dr. Willis & Dr. Macias- Phoenix Banner Hospital
July 2010 MRI shows fast re-growth
(FSR) Stereotactic Radiation Novalis Tx 9/27/10 5 days
Hearing loss and slight Bells Palsy Left side
Experiencing balance, facial numbness, double vision, headaches, & fatigue