Author Topic: Surgery 10/19 -What to expect the first few days after  (Read 4850 times)

cobbler

Surgery 10/19 -What to expect the first few days after
« on: October 13, 2010, 09:50:27 pm »
My Surgery date is less than a week away (10/19/10). Before, it seemed it would never get here and now it seems like time is rushing!

I am getting a little antsy - Just wondering what to expect in the first few days after surgery. If there is already a post on this, I apologize.... I did look  ::)

Thanks Misty
Misty Cobb

opp2

Re: Surgery 10/19 -What to expect the first few days after
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 09:58:13 pm »
Hi Misty,

The rule of thumb iis the first 3 days don't count. I'd have to agree because even just 3 months ago and I don't remember much about it.
You will be tired, and sore. Take the meeds when the nurses offer it. Never say no pain meds.

I can expound tomorrow. Too tired today.

Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 11:10:05 pm »
Wow, I so remember being in your shoes...I was feeling pretty antsy myself leading up to the surgery. That's a pretty normal reaction, the question is what do you do for it? I went and worked out...a LOT!  Lots of walking, playing hi impact video games, you know, things that keep your mind busy.  Too much idle time and then you start to think about things.  Just know that the moment you made the decision to have surgery and where and what kind, it is out of your control now. You are no longer in the driver's seat, so just sit back and enjoy the ride, because it will be quite ride!  Like Opp said, the first 3 days don't count.  Meaning you won't remember much about them.  You'll be on a lot of pain meds, they'll pump you full of steroids for the swelling. Once you get over that initial period, they'll start cutting back on the meds, if needed.  You may get what's called CSF leaks...something also fairly common, but treatable.  But the main thing to remember is that each person is different, and your results WILL vary.  Everything I just described may or may not happen to you.  Whatever happens, just know we here on this forum will have you in our thoughts, as we all know what you'll be going through more than your family or friends.  Good luck and keep posting as much as you can afterwards, or have someone post for you on how you are doing!!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 02:14:37 am »
I am NOT a doctor - but even if I was - its all going to depend on how long you're under the anesthesia.  Anesthesia is not being hit with a hammer in the head and you wake up.  It felt like some kind of poison in me.  I had 16 hours of it 1st time.  Then had the dreaded CSF leak that put me under 3 hours a week later. Those 3 hours of were nothing compared to 16 hours. As far as pain. I was on steroids and morphine for about 2 days after the first 16 hours.  So that's a not to worry about thing in my case. The 2nd surgery was a full 7 days later and I had to call for morphine.  Also was off the steroids because you can only do them for so long.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 01:50:11 pm by Jim Scott »
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

Angel-1

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 10:09:06 pm »
Hi Misty,
I'm 14 weeks post op today and doing better everyday. I remember those days leading up to surgery and it did help me to know what to expect.  I really don't remember much about my first three days post op.  My surgery lasted 7 hours and then went to ICU for 24 hours.  I don't remember being in ICU.  My husband said when they came to see me the first time in ICU my face was normal.  When he returned the next morning I had facial droop.  He said I had nausea from any movement and even the bright lights made me sick. PT did come in and make me sit up. The next day I was moved to a regular room, still don't remember this either.  My husband said I started using the bedside potty.  He said I had some headaches and nausea.  Day 3 after surgery is when I start to remember my time in the hospital.  PT came in had me sit up for a few minutes.  Because of all the nausea, I haven't been able to eat anything.  On day 3 I did have a few sips of coke.  I was still dizzy, nausea and my head was still hurting.  They have med's for all of this, so you just sleep a lot.  Day 4 I got up to go the bathroom, not the beside potty.  Drinking a few sips, but still not eating.  They wanted to put on the patch for nausea, but I'm allergic to it.  This would have helped the dizziness and nausea and I could have recovered a little quicker. I didn't have the room spinning that some have, but when I would roll over onto my back I would feel that I was upside down.  I would roll back on my side and this would go away.  This happened for several days.  Day 5 after surgery, still having headaches.  Finally ate something a few bites of orange Popsicle. PT took me out for a walk today.  Day 6 after surgery, nausea a little better.  Facial paralysis making it difficult to even use a straw.  Lumbar drain was removed and head bandage.  My hair looked like a bad Mohawk, once they took off the bandages.  I felt pretty good this day and even had a half a bowl of soup for dinner. Day 6 after surgery, I had to show PT I could walk and was discharged.              Angela
Tanslab on 7/8/2010
Total tumor removal
SSD, facial weakness (but facial nerve still intact),
balance issues getting better
Duke University, Dr. David Kaylie, Dr. Allan Friedman & Dr. Fukushima

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 11:25:55 pm »
Misty:
I was in the hospital for 5 days. I had soo much nausea & dizziness. I had my eyes closed for most of the first two days. One eye felt like it was spinning & the other like it was bouncing. Just looking around made me so dizzy & nauseous. I didn't even want to watch TV. I threw up alot so I hardly ate anything.

On day 2 I stopped taking the pain meds. After that, the only drug I was taking was the stool softener.

On day 3 I was moved out of ICU. A PT came by on day 3 or 4 to help get me out of bed. She helped me first sit up in a chair. That was the most difficult thing I've ever had to do. The next day I started walking the hall with the PT's help & a walker.

I think the head dressing came off on day 4.

On day 5 I was sent home with a walker, which I used for only about 2 days. The pain meds also came home with me, but I never used them. The incision never caused me much pain. I think the staples helped numb the area.

I stayed with my sister & her family for 2 weeks after being released from the hospital.

Syl
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 10:12:37 am by Syl »
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Angela R.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 08:37:11 am »
Misty,

I wish someone would have told me what to expect.  It helps knowing what you are in for because often times our mind is thinking of the worst case scenario.  I was in ICU for 3 days because they did not have a regular room for me.  I remember waking up off and on and just feeling a little out of it, tired and sore.  I didn't feel like eating or have the strenght to eat.  Like others have said, I don't remember much of those few days.  However I know I did not have any nausua or vomiting.

I was in a regular room for 3 days before I was released.  To be honest, my eye caused me the most discomfort and I had no idea to even expect that.  Since I had the facial weakness it would not close and it was getting dried out and bits of crust that felt like they were scratching my eye.  It helps to have someone with you in the hospital during your stay because for me they were coming and asking me questions and giving me information and I just wasn't "with it" enough to understand everything that was going.  I couldn't get up by myself so I had to have someone walk me to the restroom every time I needed to get up. 

Once I got home the steroids were making me really uncomfortable because I could not sleep.  I was also told I could not walk on my own for the first week, so time just crept by.  I didn't feel well enough to really watch tv and I couldn't sleep so it was pretty difficult just laying there.  My doctor said I would feel like I got hit by a truck and he was right.  I was just aching all over, bad headaches, eye pain and difficulty eating due to weakness in the mouth.

I know it sounds like a lot, but trust me - it is temporary!

Best of luck!
6/2010 translabyrinthine surgery, total hearing loss in the right ear
10/2007 gamma knife surgery

moe

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 11:22:35 am »
Hi Misty,
As you have read, no two stories are the same. So you try to sleep through what you can, in between being awakened for your "neuro" checks so you can tell them your name and where you are at.

I was amazingly alert right off the bat after the 11 hour surgery and had bad headaches which weren't managed well. Part of the problem was me_ I'm a nurse, and they knew it. So they would ask me if I wanted something for pain (duh, yea).
Think I got Morphine the night of the surgery, threw up, and then didn't want any morphine, because I thought I was allergic to it. (Here I am, not even 24 hours post brain surgery and worrying about what med I'm getting! ) So I don't know if they were pushing anti nausea meds in the IV, they should have, and they should have been pushing the morphine with the antinausea! They kept saying how great I was doing the next day. I felt like hammered you know what, but in the big scheme of things I was doing great. Up the first day to a chair, walking the first or second day, no bleeding into the brain (YAY)

(Other than the facial nerve issue, but that is rare, and so don't EVEN worry about that).

Anyway, if you have pain, let them know, as well as nausea. Keep those two things under control and that will help tremendously.

I was home on day 5 with no balance or dizziness issues, because my other side had already compensated (just headache which did go away, and I have no long term headache issues) My tumor had been in there a very long time. I was also very fatigued and short of breath from losing blood during the surgery(again this is NOT the norm- I was a special case).

Expect fatigue for some time, and plan on lots of sleeping,walking post op and napping/sleeping again! I enjoyed the relaxing CD with headphones to relax and then started listening to books on tape.

Hope this helps, see you on the "other side." :) Everything will be ALL right!

Maureen

06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

clr

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 11:45:57 am »
Hello Misty,

I can tell you what the first few days are like for the caregiver.  I stayed at the hospital with my daughter. In the ICU they gave me a recliner to sleep on. When she went to another room, I was given a bed.   My daughter did not want any noise, no light, and certainly no food. She was on steriods and pretty irritable, also. When I say no noise, that meant no talking to her or anyone. If anyone called my cell phone, I had to leave to talk to them. In fact, I went to call some relatives and came back and she was walking in the hall with a nurse. This was a few hours after her surgery!  Her surgeries were on Monday's and each time we left on a Wednesday. By Wednesday, she was always doing so much better, still irritable but better.

Good luck!!
Cindy (& Betsy)
I do not have an AN, my 23 yo daughter does. Her username here is Bets.
4.6cm x 3.6cm x 4.4cm  UPMC Retrosigmoid 12/29/2009, 01/19/2009, 06/22/2009 
CK Oct 2009, Dr. Hirsch
SSD before & after surgery
After 3 surgeries, some facial paralysis, but will come back

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 10:15:45 pm »
Misty,
No worries, things will go great.  Just remember to sleep when you can and always take the pain meds.  I remember constantly awakening in recovery and the nurses always asking my pain level, I think I said a 10 everytime.  When they asked if I was nauseous, I would always say yes.  I didn't dare want to get sick, I heard that would be the worse case.  I even told them before surgery that the anesthesia would make me sick.  They gave me IV emend and then later the pill form.  That helped a lot.  I was in ICU for the first night and was kicked out by afternoon the next day.  My surgery was 7 hours, retrosig.  I remember the ICU night quite well.  I was awoke every hour to check vitals, neuro, and get meds.  My husband stayed the night with me the first night, I think he was worried about me, I looked pretty bad, oxygen in my nose, cup on my head, iv's everywhere.
I wasn't hungry much either like the others, jello was my friend.  The sooner you get up to walk, the sooner you can go home.  I went home on my 5th day.  I didn't have many balance issues, my balance was already 97% gone before surgery, I think that helped me from being sick.
Just take it easy and let everyone help you.  Don't try and overdo it, they are there to help you.
Good luck and please keep us posted.  I had my husband and daughter update on here and had a caringbridge page to keep everyone else updated as well.
Best of luck and God Bless,
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

cobbler

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 07:47:56 pm »
I appreciate everyone's reply! Very helpful. We just arrived to our hotel across the street from Duke Raleigh Hospital. Sort of an eerie sight knowing that I will be there. I check in on Monday for pre-op antibiotics. Surgery is Tuesday am.  :o :o
I do have quite a problem with nausea from anesthesia, so I will be sure to request all the nausea meds that I can get!
Trying to keep a positive attitude ;D We are 4 hours away from home so my poor hubby has to endure this on his own. Thank goodness he loves me!!!

Thanks again for all the replies. Will update when I am able!
XXOO
Misty
Misty Cobb

moe

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 08:57:28 am »
Misty,
Prayers going out for a successful surgery tomorrow. If your husband has his lap top, and feels so inclined, he can always post on the site here how things went, and we will send more positive vibes your way and words of encouragement.
 :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Angel-1

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 10:11:28 am »
Hi Misty,

I'm praying for a very successful surgery.  Is Fukishima doing your surgery?  I went to Duke North with Kaylie, Friedman and Fukishima.  Do you live in North Carolina.  I'm about 3 hours from Durham.  My husband was with me the whole time.  Your husband will do great.  If he needs any support, my husband who just went through this 14 weeks ago would be glad to talk to him or email him. I will be glad to do the same for him or you.  You are in great hands at Duke-Raleigh.  I was just at my AN Support group in Chapel Hill on Saturday and most of the members also went to Duke-Raleigh with great outcomes.  Praying for both you and your husband.

Angela
Tanslab on 7/8/2010
Total tumor removal
SSD, facial weakness (but facial nerve still intact),
balance issues getting better
Duke University, Dr. David Kaylie, Dr. Allan Friedman & Dr. Fukushima

Lizard

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 11:01:21 am »
Misty,
Sorry I haven't had a chance to comment until now.
Good luck tomorrow and try to remember the first three days of recovery are tough and around here we say they don't count.  Once you're on the other side, out of ICU and able to get out of bed then does the recovery start.  I was VERY sensitive to light so try to bring something to put over your eyes, I used an empty pillowcase...it was my saving grace. 
Take care, my thoughts will be with you tomorrow.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 10:20:50 pm »
Misty -

as others have said, the first few days are the toughest.  It's usuallly mostly downhill from there.

Good luck tomorrow.

See you soon as a postie!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways