Author Topic: Urine flow post-op problems.  (Read 3532 times)

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
Urine flow post-op problems.
« on: October 13, 2010, 06:59:56 pm »
Was released the 9th of Oct. And I have a personal nature concern.

16 hour surgery sept 27. Threw up for a whole day. But they did take my urine catherder out the next day. I remember standing up doing my thing. And thinking this is probably the 1st step to recovery. How uncouth.

Then needed a CSF leaf fixed the 4th of Oct (3 hours). They took that catheter out like 2 days later so they could test for spinal fluid in the mean time.

The problem I having is that everytime I go at home. I flow just fine and then air starts coming out like (pee farts) and I'm done. This disturbs me alllot.

I just don't know if it normal or not. In the Hospital I drank a ton of water. At home I'm drinking about average. But getting all the other nice stuff like cokes.

I do NOT have my staples out yet. So I will be seeing the good Doc on Friday. Will I flow like I should again? Or am I going to have problems for a awhile.

Sorry for such a personal nature question.

Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Urine flow post-op problems.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 01:56:38 pm »
FD ~

This is a new one, at least to me.  You should definitely mention it to your doctor on Friday.  He may refer you to a urologist who could tell you if there is a problem and if so, what could be done about it.  Frankly, I can't see how this is related to your surgery but then, I'm not a doctor.  I hope the problem either resolves spontaneously or a urologist can advise you.  

Jim  
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 03:14:00 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 03:09:50 pm »
The urinary problem wouldn't be related probably to the surgery  but to just having the catheter.         Do you feel like you are emptying the bladder completely when you do go?      Any burning with going?   Blood tinged urine?      I wouldn't think an infection would cause it act that way.      Any spasms when it was in?       Do you have an enlarged prostate which could be a factor.   Keep drinking the water         I wouldn't get over worried about it unless you feel you aren't emptying the bladder well or it seems to be getting worse and happening more or hurting.     Do check with a dr if this not stop.             I am only a retired nurse and not a dr but don't remember seeing this happen  when I was working.    Good luck with this.              Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 07:39:47 pm »
The majority of Forumites aren't doctors.

Questions like this are best addressed to your doctor.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Angela R.

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 08:24:26 am »
I had a similiar issue.  When I was in the hospital I had problems the first few times after they removed the cathedar.  They had me stay in the hospital an extra day to make sure that was resolved and they did a test to make sure there was no infection that was causing the problem.    Once home, it took me longer than normal to go.  It seemed to be that I thought I had to go sooner than I actually did, so once I waited longer to go it was easier.
6/2010 translabyrinthine surgery, total hearing loss in the right ear
10/2007 gamma knife surgery

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 11:55:41 am »
I also had a hard time after the catheter and ended up with a UTI...not fun, but very common after being catherterized, especially twice...also had the lovely CSF surgery.
Just talk to your Dr....
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 07:15:59 pm »
Good news, you are not alone.  I had the same experience albeit for a much shorter duration.  The issue cleared up within a few days for me, so I never mentioned it to the doctor.

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

yosemitesam

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 12:32:35 pm »
My surgery to fix my leak was just 6 days ago. While I was in the hospital I was getting
shots delotted for pain and it caused me not to be able to relieve my bladder. Had to get a cather
and then was ok.   good luck
3 surgery girl
multiple CSF leaks
Emory Hospital

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 02:24:58 pm »
Seams all have cleared up on its own. Number 1 and number 2.

The pain in your head while at the hospital and afterwards at home that was talked about in youtube videos about being backed up and stressing I never experienced either.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 04:31:42 pm »
Glad your problems seem to have cleared up.

I had no pain post op in any place but my neck - and that was from being positioned the way I was for 7 1/2 hours of surgery.

I thought I'd have massive head pain - afterall it was brain surgery, right? - but I had none.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways