Author Topic: Thank you, Jan & Lori!  (Read 3335 times)

Goldie

Thank you, Jan & Lori!
« on: October 05, 2010, 05:30:03 pm »
We spent a long weekend in the Duluth, Minn, area enjoying the leaves and beautiful fall weather, and returned home to find a special gift package of a BAHA recovery kit.  Thank you both!  I knew some of the things it would contain, but not all, and I was pretty amazed.   ;)  How thoughtful of you to do this for so many people. 

I was wondering if I could send you a check, Jan, to "pay it forward" to the next recipient?  I would just need an address and approximate $$ amount. 

Surgery's on for this Friday and while I'm still a little apprehensive, I'm looking forward to moving on to bilateral hearing again.   :)

Thanks again! 

Denise D.
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Thank you, Jan & Lori!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 06:44:54 pm »
Denise -

truly glad you liked the kit - and thanks for not revealing the contents; although some it is known, some of it's still a secret  ;)

One of my personal "rules" is that I don't take reimbursement for the kits - the shipping or the contents - it's one of the ways I like to pay it forward.  I've never asked Lori her opinion on this, but I'm pretty sure she'd agree with me - and if not, we'll know loud and clear shortly  :D  ;D

If you absolutely feel you want to pay it forward, please make a contribution to the ANA.  They are always in need of funds and contributions are tax-deductible.

Or use your money to become a member of the ANA, if you're not one already.

Good luck on Friday and forget the apprehension.  I had my implant with nothing but local anesthesia - and a great doc  ;)

I'm confident you'll do just fine.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ksiwek

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 07:23:05 pm »
Jan!!!!!!!!

I haven't been home in a week, but my husband says the kit has arrived   ;D 

Long story, but my grandma took a horrible tumble and it doesn't appear she has much time left  :(  She has lived a long 95 years...and is quite an amazing lady.

Due to her failing health, I have been in Illinois to be close by and decided to stick around until my surgery.  I am excited to see what is in the recovery kit when I get home from surgery on Thursday.  Many thanks in advance!

I echo Denise's comments.  You are such a remarkable resource to AN patients and a pillar in the AN community.  I could never thank you enough for the time and effort you put into your posts and return messages.  I am not sure that I would be even close to getting a BAHA if it wasn't for your encouragement and information about the technology and procedure. Just wanted you to know that I think you are amazing  ;D
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 09:16:11 pm »
Kris -

sorry to hear about your grandma.

My (now our) doctor has seen a kit that I created for another patient I sent to him for a BAHA.  I'm not sure he'll remember what's in it, but if he does I'm sure he'll be happy to give you a few hints.

Thank you for the sweet words - I don't think I've ever been called remarkable, amazing, and/or a pillar before; Jim Scott usually uses some other words to describe me  ::)   I'm sure Lori can remember a few of them (she's younger than I am).

Good luck with the surgery; you are in very capable hands - I'd trust them with my life  ;)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 01:59:13 pm »
Hi, Denise ~

Although I'm not a BAHA user, as a moderator, I read every post (well, just about) and your benevolent offer to pay Jan & Lori for the 'BAHA Recovery Kit' struck me as both generous and affecting.  I hope you'll employ the suggestion our redoubtable Jan made to donate something to the ANA - or take membership, if you haven't already done so.  In any case, your offer was notable and I wanted to publicly acknowledge it.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 06:58:55 pm »
WOW!  Now I'm redoubtable  :o

Thanks, Jim!  - I think

And, not to give Denise's very generous offer any less weight, others have offered to to pay for the kits in the past; which is why I created my "rule".

Jan

Goldie

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 09:22:02 pm »
I am an ANA member but will do something about a donation to the ANA--thanks for the suggestion. 

Trying to think of more descriptive words to add to Jan's growing list - how about awesome?  Not quite as impressive as undoubtable...I should dig out my Thesaurus!

Best wishes to Kris.  It's difficult to lose someone no matter what the circumstances, and my thoughts are with you.

Denise D.
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

lori67

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 06:46:02 am »
Sorry...chiming in late due to computer issues....  Grrrrr...  >:(

I agree with Jan about taking money for something we enjoy doing.  But, hey, if you want to send a check for a million dollars or so...  I guess I could find it in my heart to cash it!  Do they have banks on private tropical islands?   :D  Just kiidding!

Oh, gosh, the words I could think of to describe Jan....   :-X

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 10:18:21 pm »
Oh, gosh, the words I could think of to describe Jan....   :-X

Bless you for not going there  ;)  :D

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 06:43:46 am »
Oh, gosh, the words I could think of to describe Jan....   :-X

Bless you for not going there  ;)  :D
I claim the 5th Amendment ;)

Jan and Lori do such a lovely thing in supporting all future BAHA wearers with this gesture......  yeah, ladies, I wrote something nice about you! :)  If anyone would like to show appreciation, I concur with a donation in their name to the ANA....... what a wonderful way to give back (and to help keep these forums going.....)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"