Author Topic: Upgrade already!  (Read 2264 times)

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Upgrade already!
« on: October 07, 2010, 03:17:21 pm »
Hello...well, it has been one week since my Gotcha Day.  I immediately left town after getting wired for sound.  I was very pleased that I could hear things that I normally don't hear.  However, after a day or two, I got constant feedback, squeaking and static.  If I was near a computer (which I am all the time), it would beep, an elevator ding would make it whistle, sound around me of any kind, or sometimes for no reason at all!  So, I got back last night and was in to see the audiologist this morning.  She called Cochlear after testing me in the sound booth and playing with the settings on the computer.  Cochlear said to send it back and they would have a fast turn around....hopefully no longer than a week.  I will be upgraded to the Baha 3 (same Baha, but with enhancements).  She did not have a loaner to give me, so I asked if maybe I could just use the Oticon she had sitting there.  Well, it did not fit on my abutment, so I guess I got the new proprietary abutment by Cochlear!
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Upgrade already!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 10:49:11 pm »
Dale -

in my experience, you want the BP3, not the BP100.  The enhancement to the buttons alone is worth it.

And Cochlear almost always makes good on their promise of a turnaround time of 5 business days.  If for some reason they don't get it to you in 5 business days, call them.  The last time I sent my BP100 (well, technically BP3) in for repairs it didn't get back to me in 5 days so I called them.  They did the repairs that very same day and Fed Ex'd it overnight; it arrived the next morning. 

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 01:50:52 am »
Hi Jan, yes it is the BP 3 that I will be getting.  They said it should be back to my audiologist before the end of next week.  I really want to get this programmed right and totally maximized before I leave for Africa.
Thanks,
Dale
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 04:40:23 pm »
Just got back from the audiologist and have my new upgraded Baha 3.  Actually, as impressed as I was with the sound quality a couple of weeks ago, I am even more so now.  It might also be the my program has been modified and tweaked.  But I am hearing very "crisp" sound.  I am hearing things amplified in a way that I didn't know was possible, since I have had SSD for so long.  It's really neat!  I didn't think the buttons were bad on the BP100, but the buttons on the upgrade are noticeably better.  I think I am going to be a very happy camper!
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 08:40:49 pm »
Trust me, the buttons on the BP100 were brutal.

Every time I pressed them, I'd have to REALLY push hard; they left imprints on my fingertips.

The new buttons are SO MUCH better  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways