Author Topic: Headache/pressure upon standing  (Read 33336 times)

jbbrown15

Headache/pressure upon standing
« on: October 06, 2010, 07:42:45 pm »
I've been diagnosed with a 2.9 AN on my left side.  Doctors looked confused when I described one of my symptoms.  A lot of times when I stand from sitting I feel like my head fills up.  I can feel painful pressure in my head and hear a whooshing sound in my ear that muffles my hearing - on both sides.

Has anyone else had this symptom?  Was it realted to you AN?  Did it get better after treatment?

Thanks.

Jean
Jean
2.9 cm AN on left side diagnosed 9/9/2010
Finished 26 sessions of fractionated stereotactic radiation on 11/22/2010
Symptoms of increased intracranial pressure since summer of 2010. Trying to determine if related to AN.  Some good doctors say yes, some good doctors say no.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Headache/pressure upon standing
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 09:16:07 pm »
Hi Jean and welcome to this forum .....

My AN was 2.6cm at the time of removal and yes, I had that same symptom.  However, I still have it occasionally ..... at 2 1/2 years post-op, especially when I stand up too fast.  I have always thought it was related to hypotension (low blood pressure) and somehow the reduced hearing causes me to be more aware of it.

It will be interesting to see what others say about it.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 09:54:55 pm »
Jean:

I get that pressure all the time when I stand up & the whooshing sound too. I don't know that  I had it before surgery, but I sure have it now, even at almost 2.5 years post-op.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

opp2

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 06:54:50 am »
I've been diagnosed with a 2.9 AN on my left side.  Doctors looked confused when I described one of my symptoms.  A lot of times when I stand from sitting I feel like my head fills up.  I can feel painful pressure in my head and hear a whooshing sound in my ear that muffles my hearing - on both sides.

Has anyone else had this symptom?  Was it realted to you AN?  Did it get better after treatment?

Thanks.

Jean

Hello Jean,

Welcome to the forum, so sorry you have an AN.

I too had the pressure and whooshing (in since with my heart rate) . Does it subside relatively quickly if you sit back down? Mine did. These were the symptoms that drove me to the doctor in the first place. I was diagnosed with migraine, as my pressure and whooshing was accompanied by bright scintilating scotoma if I didn't sit down within a few seconds.

My doctors  and especially my surgeons told me they'd never heard of these symptoms associated to AN prior. Dr Akagami also was not familiar but did tell me that mass effect on the brain can do many things. He suggested I wait until after the surgery to see if the symptoms persisted, and then pursue treatment if they didn't. For me I have had only one minor bout since my surgery in July. That happened about 7 days after the surgery.

My tumour was around 3cm and was pushing on the brain stem.

All the best to you, email or PM if you want to talk more.

Nikki

Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Lizard

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 10:20:36 am »
Yep, pressure and wooshing here too! Although I did not have it pre-op.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

kenneth_k

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 11:27:38 am »
Could it be some disturbance in CSF flow?

Best regards, Kenneth

jerseygirl

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 02:27:36 pm »
Hi,

I also had the same thing but that was, indeed, CSF disturbance. I had normal pressure hydrocephalus and the symptoms went away a few months after I got a shunt.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.