Author Topic: Strange BAHA...  (Read 2700 times)

ombrerose4

Strange BAHA...
« on: October 05, 2010, 07:37:51 pm »
I got my Baha back from Cochlear last week after sending it back for the updates that Jan talked about. I wore it for a few days and thought it sounded better than ever. Then about a week later, my husband and were awakened to loud beeps and screeches in the middle of the night. After searching our apt., my husband opened the dry n store and there was my BAHA, CHIRPING AWAY, lol. We turned it off and a few minutes later it went back on, and after a few more times we had to take the battery out. It was eerie, :)  The next day I wore it to school and it was fine for a few hours, but then it started doing the double beep thing like when you change the setting.  Once again I had to take the battery out to stop it. Well I decided to try it one more time beause we were going to a movie. But then about half hour into the film it started beeping and sqwaking like feedback noise, so I took it off and had to take battery out once again. It was quite funny actually, although a bit frustrating. I called Cochlear and they said "send it back", so it is on its way to get those ghostly kinks out. Just thought I would share this funny episode in the life of my Baha ;D
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Re: Strange BAHA...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 09:07:54 pm »
You are suppose to take the battery out and leave the compartment open when you store your Baha in the dry'n'store jar. 
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 09:09:52 pm »
Yikes!  This doesn't sound like a strange BAHA - it sounds like a possessed BAHA.

I've never heard of this happening before; guess you're just "lucky"  ;)

Definitely send it back.  

Also, I don't know about the dry & store (I don't own one yet), but when you put your processor in the drying beads jar you should remove the battery.  You might want to see what the dry & store manufacturer recommends.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 05:40:10 am »
how old was the battery ? an old or weak battery will cause issues...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

ombrerose4

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 06:27:42 am »
I tried several new batteries so that wasn't the issue.. I used to take the battery out when I stored it for the night, but a few months ago I went to a Cochlear support group meeting and the rep said you did not have to remove the battery, so I stopped taking it out. I will check with Cochlear again about that juat to clarify it.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 06:48:08 pm »
Lauren -

the Cochlear rep is wrong.

You want to remove the battery for two reasons.  One - in order for the battery compartment to get completely dry, the battery needs to be removed.  Otherwise the place where the battery "resides" will continue to trap moisutre.  Two - anytime the battery is inside the processor it's basically "on" which means that you are draining the battery unnecessarily.  By removing the battery at night, you should be able to use it for a longer period of time before it's "dead".

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ombrerose4

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 08:09:08 pm »
Jan,

Thank you for this information. So it seems I was doing it right till the rep told me differently. I appreciate your help in clarifying this for me and when I get my Baha back I will remove the battery at night. :)

As always, you are the best!!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010