Author Topic: Can anyone in Florida suggest a neurotologist?  (Read 9894 times)

FLsunshine

• A journey of a 1000 miles starts with one step
Can anyone in Florida suggest a neurotologist?
« on: October 05, 2010, 12:18:32 pm »
Just moved to FL and have some serious escalating symptoms.  Because I would be a new patient, I can't seem to get any traction in getting an appt without having to wait 4-8 weeks.  YIKES!  Anyone here from FL can recommend docs that I can call?  Although I live near West Palm Beach, I will travel wherever in FL to get seen and be under continually doctor's care for my AN.
3mm AN diagnosed in 2006
w&w with escalating symptoms
slow growth - at 4mm in 2010

Sonia

Re: Can anyone in Florida suggest a neurotologist?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 07:21:21 pm »
      I am new to AN diagnose however, I have seen two doctors I thought were good. Dr. Fields in Orlando, FL and Dr. Friedman at Shands Hospital in Gainesville, FL. I am leaning towards Shands because Radio Surgery machine is more up to date and less claustrophobic. Shands Hospital doctors are well know for their experience and constant research.
     Good luck and Let me know if you find anything different. I am still looking too.

FLsunshine

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 01:25:11 pm »
I was able to be seen by Dr Danner and Dr Bartels of the Tampa Bay Ear and Balance Center.  They and their staff were great, compassionate, and totally took care of us since we were travelling from out of town.  Others on this forum had recommended them so I gave it a shot and the Center fit my appt right in (within 3 days).  Dr Danner is slanted towards surgery and we talked a lot about his perceptions on radiation treatment and current statitics/studies.  While I am still researching the topic myself (gotta be your own advocate and a knowledgeable patient), what Dr Danner said made a lot of sense to me and I found him to be very credible.  If you want a second opinion on your own situation, I would highly recommend you seeing him for an alternate point of view.
3mm AN diagnosed in 2006

nanlt124

• learning more everyday
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 09:23:20 pm »
i am from clearwater and had my surgery 9/30 by dr danner and dr agazzi (neurosurgeon)    i was treated with total respect and care by everyone involved - including the staff at tampa general   i was definitely given the option of making my own decision for surgery but, i needed to do it because my tumor had grown since last year and 9/30 was the last day of my health insurance  so, my surgery took about 5.5 hrs and i completely lost that day and the next   i was in neuro icu from recovery til monday when i was released (icu due to bp issues)   now , at 4wks post op, i am without my walker, my facial paralysis is almost gone, i took very few pain pills when i returned home (like 3) and i am considering returning to work soon     i see dr danner for my second p/o visit next friday and i have no regrets   he and his staff are always accessible and helpful   they called me every day or two to check on me   my biggest complaints have been a nasty taste in my throat (everything tastes terrible) and my right eye has a lot of dryness    i am hoping that when my paralysis is gone my eye will go back to normal    i hope this helps with your decision about a florida doctor     they are the best!    nancy from clearwater

FLsunshine

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 03:15:46 pm »
Thx for writing about your positive experience with Dr. Danner.  How big was you AN and did you have any balance issues prior to surgery?
3mm AN diagnosed in 2006

JLR

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 04:11:54 pm »
Heard that the Sylvester Center in Miami is excellent.  They were one of the first Cyberknife facilities.  I do not however have a name of a physician. But you can "google" the facility to check them out.  Good Luck!

nanlt124

• learning more everyday
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 10:13:42 pm »
hi   my AN was 1.3x1.1 cm right side   i completely lost my hearing one day at work  and my balance has been off for awhile but, i did not know why   my tumor was seen on mri august 20     i am doing well   today is my 4 wk anniversary     still weave when i walk and my eyes are funny    but, i really cannot complain when i read about other not so good recoveries       stay in touch  n from c

JLR

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 04:00:15 am »
Hi, I was wondering if you had considered Cyberknife rather than the surgery. My AN is 2.3 cm and with pretty good hearing my doctor recommended the radiation rather than the surgery to avoid the complications of hearing loss etc.  Im to have the CK in a couple of weeks and wondered why you choose the surgery.  I am so glad that you are feeling way better and your surgery successful.  Thanks!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 09:04:29 am »
Fl -

I've heard good things about both Dr. Danner and Dr. Bartels.

They both are names that keep popping up on the Forum over the years.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jugee

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 07:58:37 pm »
Hi Fl Sunshine, welcome to the great state of Florida (wear your sunscreen everyday).  We saw Dr. Max Meadry in Orlando, and like him.  We are in the W and W club, but still looking around at options.  Let me know, if you find someone else you like.
Jugee