Author Topic: waiting for mri  (Read 6709 times)

Helsy

waiting for mri
« on: September 27, 2010, 11:01:08 am »
Hi

I am new to this forum and it is great to find a site where other peeps are going through similar experiences. I went for a hearing test about 3 years ago after discovering i could not hear really high pitch noises, like watch alarms etc. It was only when my father in law was at my house and the door on the freezer had not been shut properly that he pointed out how loud the alarm was that was going off. I couldnt hear a thing!

Around that time i recognised i the tinnitis - a constant high pitch whistle in my left ear. Following a hearing test they discovered my normal range of hearing is fine but above 2000kh its severely drops so i was referred to ENT as they said this was very unusual to have this hearing loss and also not common in people under 40 and was 33 at the time. I had an appointment with ENT who seemed to want to put my tinnitis down to stress at the time. I only had one appointment as i relocated.  I recently had my 3 yearly hearing test and the results where the same with a slight decline in my hearing so i am now waiting an MRI scan. Still have the constant whistle in my left ear, which doesnt give me sleepless nights, but occastionally drives me slightly mad especially if i find myself on my own during the day.

I have to say, i am a little bit worried about the results of the scan. I am trying very hard not to think about it until i have to but it is much easier said than done.  Has anyone found anything that helps with the tinnitis? Would be grateful for any info?

Helen

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: waiting for mri
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 11:48:54 am »
Helen

I have posted this a couple of times.  I have gotten relief from tinnitus and fullness of head by taking a supplement called Lipo-Flavonoid Plus.  It does take awhile for it to kick in, they recommend at least a 6 month try.  Cost about $2400 for 120 pills.  It has helped me but I know it doesn't help everyone.

TJ

Stand

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 11:54:06 am »
Helen, I don't know of anything that helps with tinnitus.  I'm 28 and have had it for at least ten years that I can recall.  It's REALLY loud.  Along with that, I hear my heart beating.  So I'm at a loss.  I've just, over time, told myself that it's soothing.  I now believe myself.  Lol!  So anyway.  Hopefully your mri will come back clean and it's just simple hearing loss.  Let's hope and pray!  But I know how you feel.  I finally got my mri this morning.  I took my scan home and so I've been staring at it.  I have a white spot where an Acoustic Neuroma would be.  But I haven't heard back from my doctor yet.  So yeah.  I understand the anxiety.  And I've learned that I have a huge cyst behind my right eye.  Oh for joy...  :(

I PRAY YOU'RE JUST FINE!!!

Helsy

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 12:12:54 pm »
Hi

Thanks for replying TJ, anything is worth a try.  Although the tinnitis does drive me up the wall sometimes i am able to have a laugh about it with my friends and family but i am always hoping that one day it will just turn off. Wouldnt that be bliss to have a quiet life!

I am hoping the diagnosis from the MRI is not AN but i feel i would rather know there is a cause rather than it just being unknown or put down to stress.

Sorry to hear about your mri results Stand. Try not to dwell on things too much and take each day as it comes. We all deal with things differently and there is no right or wrong way but the good thing about this site is that you have support when you need it.

Helen

Stand

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 12:19:39 pm »
Thanks, Helen.  I've been stressing over it for the past 3 or so hours.  I've been just sitting here staring at the MRI and hoping that someone from radiology calls me.  But alas, nothing.  But at least I do have an appointment with my ENT tomorrow morning.  But since I know the woman who reviews the scans in his office, I may just bombard her when she goes to visit her husband after work (our husbands work at the same firestation).  Who knows.  She may want to look at them...

Stand

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 12:20:30 pm »
Maybe the previous comment will help you some.  The solution for the Tinnitus.  I haven't tried it though...

Helsy

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 02:17:45 am »
Hi Stand

Yes, i understand how you are feeling. I think the waiting is the worst thing. Once you know what is happening you seem to be able to deal with it much better. I am from the UK and it appears to work differently here in terms of scan results. My mri scan will be carried out under the NHS and once i have had my scan, i will then recieve an appointment from the consultant to discuss the results approx 3 weeks later. It seems that you get your results before meeting with the consultant? Is that correct? The consultant here in ENT told me it could take between 6 to 12 weeks before i get an appointment for my mri. Seems such a long time when you are waiting but it is not really in the whole scheme of things. I lost my dad a few weeks ago to colon cancer so i appreciate how long this journey is probably going to take. Let me know if you get any update from ENT.

Take care

Helen

Stand

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 08:59:57 am »
Hey, Helen.  I got my results back the next morning after my MRI.  I have a lot of white spots on my brain but the ENT never mentioned them.  I have a large cyst in the nasal area but the ENT never talked about that until my husband made him.  But alas, no acoustic neuroma.  :)

Helsy

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 01:25:03 pm »
gr8 news..... I bet you are so relieved. I am really pleased for you, perhaps you can sleep a little easier now!

Helen

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 01:45:07 pm »
Stand ~

I realize that your ongoing symptoms are vexing but I have to congratulate you on the MRI scan not showing an acoustic neuroma.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.