Author Topic: Neuro Nursing / AN experience really hitting home :)  (Read 2024 times)

superrmaren

Neuro Nursing / AN experience really hitting home :)
« on: September 19, 2010, 09:35:10 pm »
Hey all! 

I haven't posted on this forum for quiiiiite some time, but have been stalking in the wings here and there. 

I just wanted to share an awesome experience...

I have been working as a neuroscience nurse for about 1 year now, and had yet another AN patient today.  I get them all the time, same doc as me and everything.  (Working with him is a little strange and cool at the same time.  The guy has seen the inside of my head for cryin out loud!!)  But my interactions with this patient were different.

So, anyway, I worked with a patient, we'll call her "Jane" (HIPPA would approve), who had an AN resected about 4 days before I got her as a patient.  Everyone who has had surgery can probably identify with the 5th day (or so) mark...the point where you think "uh-oh, I just had a really serious, possibly life-changing surgery!  what now??"  Well, Jane had reached that point, too.  She expressed lots of fears (and tears) to me about the possible need to change her life, maybe never being able to do the activities she loves again, how things are going to be handled at home/work without her being at the helm, etc.  It was a real shocker to hear these things come out of her mouth because they were the exact same thoughts going through my head (and I'm sure everyone's head after surgery) when I had surgery about 4 years ago. 

I can't even express this correctly in words...

I was able to talk with Jane and (hopefully) allay some of her fears.  She seemed more confident, expressed her gratitude, and wheeled on out of the hospital with her husband.  I spent the rest of the day beaming.  I not only helped her as I was living, breathing proof that you CAN and WILL get better, but helped myself, too.  It was such a cathartic experience.  I don't think I was ever so into believing that "things would work out" as I was today.  I couldn't believe the words I was saying - that it was really me as the experienced veteran, offering words of encouragement - words that I have been living by for 4 years.  I don't need those words to get by anymore.  I am healed 100%, in my mind, of any emotional scars that were lingering.  I feel fabulous.     

I encouraged Jane to check out the ANA site and this forum.  I hope she does as there are soooo many wonderful and supportive people out there from whom she could benefit hearing. 

And I hope she reads this and knows that she helped me, too :)

xox
maren, RN
"the good old days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems"

4.5cm tumor resected at Johns Hopkins in 2006.  Drs. Tamargo and Minor
numerous facial plastic surgeries
12-7 nerve graft 2008
platinum eye weight removed 2009
deaf right - BAHA
residual balance issues
severe dry

GramaSuby

• "Lost my muchness have I"? ALICE IN WONDERLAND
Re: Neuro Nursing / AN experience really hitting home :)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:31:07 pm »
Maren, thanks for the post, its always wonderful when one has such an experience.  It changes ones perspective and rejuvenates ones spirit as well.  Anytime we can help lift another person even if only for a moment its like a drop of water in a pond that sets ripples in motion.
My surgery is on 9/30/10, you don't happen to work at Emory? 
Diagnosed Nov 08  w/ 14x13x14mm left AN. Translab on 9/30/10 w/ Dr's Mattox & Olson at Emory University Hosp. in Atlanta.  Post surgery complications were meningitis & pneumonia. Hospitalized for 12 days, zero memory for the first 5.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 08:07:28 am »
Maren .....

What a beautiful telling of your experience.  It warmed my heart ..... and I feel like I have healed completely, as well.  There is life after an AN!

Thanks for sharing this "upper" for the rest of us.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 08:41:20 am »
Maren~
That is EXACTLY why I (& many others) stick around on here...I definitely think that there is life after an AN (even when you have all the worst side effects!)!  Thank you for taking time to reassure a newbie!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 01:57:02 pm »
Maren ~

Thanks for sharing your positive experience with another AN patient.  It really is exhilarating to see your positive effect on another AN patient that you were able to relate to. 

As Kay stated, this is what anchors some of us to this website and, specifically, the discussion forums.  Occasionally, I read a post or receive a PM thanking me for some piece of information or encouragement I've posted and it tends to make my day.  Of course, none of us remain diligent about helping AN patients just for an occasional pat on the back but because, as AN 'veterans', we understand the physical and emotional issues involved with the AN 'journey' and we want to do what we can to help those walking the same path we were once on and show them that there is plenty of reason to be optimistic.  Our members prove that every day. 

Like some other AN 'veterans', I believe that my 'internet time' is best spent here, rather than on some other site, blathering about politics or hobbies.  Here, I can blather about ANs and, perhaps, do someone some good.  I hope your new friend does seek out the ANA website, read, register and post.  She'll be warmly welcomed, that I can assure you.  :)

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 08:08:55 am »
Hey, supermaren!

Great to see you on the Forum  ;D

You are a wonderful advocator for AN patients - and an inspiration to us all.

How did your last fundraiser go?  After I donated, I kind of lost track  ::)

Thanks for all you do,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 10:48:24 pm »
That is so awesome to hear!  It really makes look forward to a year or two from now.  It's only been 5 months for me so I'm still not all with it some days.  It's nice to hear the future looks good.
You did a great thing by talking with her, I would have loved to have heard that before I left the hospital.  You are truely an angel sent from above :)
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013