Author Topic: BAHA software update  (Read 2714 times)

tenai98

BAHA software update
« on: September 15, 2010, 02:12:56 pm »
went in for a follow up and my audiologis said she'd like to send my unit in for a software update....plus they will install a white battery covering....which will keep more moisture and dirt out...My feedback manager squealed when turned on so she is hoping this will fix it...I now have a divino unit as a loaner....
Jan
Do you know anything about this software update???
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA software update
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:59:21 pm »
Jo -

Cochlear has updated their initial BP100 software - happened a few months ago, I believe - the feedback manager which is for noise reduction has been improved.  The new software is giving people less of an issue with squealing from what I understand.

Cochlear is also "upgrading" the battery area on those BP100s that are sent in for repairs.  Basically they are putting a rubber insert around the area where the battery goes and as you state, this is supposed to keep more moisture and dirt out.

My BP100 was in for repairs recently and they put in the battery insert.  They also replaced the microphone for some reason - I'm not sure why - and they changed the buttons on top of the unit.  Now it's much easier for me to change from program to program.  In the past I had to really hold down the middle button to make those changes, but now I hardly have to press the button at all.  In addition, there isn't as much as a time lag between when I push the button and when it changes programs.  In the past, it seemed like I had to wait forever (an exaggeration, I know) for the changes to take place.

I think you'll be happy with the updates.  I certainly am.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tenai98

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 05:30:26 am »
yes same issues I was having and she did mention the rubber part being put in as well
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
Baha surgery sept 22/09
cyberknife on June 7

ombrerose4

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 07:46:56 am »
I guess it's time to see my audiologist, since I seem to be having some of the same issues. I have to push so hard and so long just to get my BAHA to turn on. How long does it take to get the repairs done and get your BAHA back to you? Does the loaner come from Cochlear or from the audiologist? As always, thanks for the info. :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 08:43:44 am »
I got my loaner from the audiologist...don't know how long repairs take, but  have appt oct 22...as that is a good day for me to travel back into the city...
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
Baha surgery sept 22/09
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 10:12:10 am »
Lauren -

loaners come from your audiologist or your doc's office.

Cochlear promises a turnaround time of 5 business days - and both times I had to send my BP100 in for repairs, they made good on this promise.

I contacted Cochlear directly about my issues, using their online support, but you can also go through your audiologist.

If you contact them directly, they will want the serial number of your BP100 to make sure it's still under warranty.  Then they will give you a return item reference number and their account number @ Fed Ex so you can send your BP100 to them on their dime.

Make sure you insure the package (again on their dime) in case for some reason your BP100 gets lost on it's way to Cochlear.  Although this isn't a common occurrence, you don't want to be out approximately $4,500.

If your BP100 was programmed by your audiologist, Cochlear will return it to him/her for programming and you'll have to pick it up there.  If it wasn't programmed - turns out mine wasn't - they'll Fed Ex it back directly to your home address.

The new battery insert is a bit of a pain in the *ss - you have to lift it up to insert the battery, but you'll get used to it.

The new (easier) buttons are like a dream come true.

Good luck,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ombrerose4

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 04:15:25 pm »
Jan,

Once again, thank you so much for all the information. I am on the phone with Cochlear as I am writing to you, waiting for my order number and my Fedex number.
Do you send it back in the white hard case ? Any special packing suggestions? You are the best! :)

/
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 07:45:45 pm »
Lauren -

I sent mine back in the small white case - not the "big box". 

It was hard to find a small box to pack it in, so I used a lot of bubble wrap. 

It got there safely.

Jan