Author Topic: 7months-- always though my nerve was intact????  (Read 4214 times)

KimLyle

7months-- always though my nerve was intact????
« on: September 24, 2010, 04:59:12 pm »
I have my surgery about 7 and a half months ago and do have any movement on my AN side but was told that they did not touch my nerve and it was still intact, I  have a appointment to see the T3 doctor for surgery because I want to have it done before I get off my parents insurance. THE PROBLEM IS THAT ON THE MRI REPORT ITS STATES THAT THE FACIAL NERVE HAVE BEEN REMOVED!!!! what does that mean, my doctor said that my nerve was still intact, I dint understand how this could happend. Does anyone understands what this means..I am kinda fricking out because that means different surgery and everything that i dint have time for because my insurance runs out in December

Kaybo

Re: 7months-- always though my nerve was intact????
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 05:16:11 pm »
I don't exactly what that means but I do know that the T3 surgery has NOTHING to do with nerves...they connect the tendon to the muscle...

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 06:24:41 pm »
Hi Kim,
I know someone who had the T3 surgery & got her movement back afterward, she waited 6 months instead of at least a year before having the procedure.
It's possible/probable your nerve will continue to generate impulses so you may not need the T3 surgery yet. (I remained totally paralyzed on the right side for
1 1/2 years before I had the T3 done).
Like Kay (kaybo) said, with the T3 we're talking 'tendon to muscle,'
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

KimLyle

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 08:00:25 pm »
thanks I was getting really nervous...I know I should wait loner then 10 mouths but with my insurance ending I dont know when I be able to have the surgery. I am also gonna start grad school and just what to do this and put it behind me, becasue I wanna also go for my doc which is gonna be 4 year soo I wanna do this before. Thanks for the info tho. I have my appointment in a week and a half I more excited about it then anything else. I just wanna be able to half smile and take pic with my friends and injoy being 22 not feeling that I dont wanna go out and scard to explain my story. Going to start grad school is scary enough with hearing and balance issure and stuff.
Thanks for the information :)

chelsmom

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 09:00:11 pm »
Hi Kim,

Are you aware that a new health care law went into effect last week that allows you to remain on your parents insurance until you are 26.  The information we were sent from Blue Cross regarding this said that your child can remain you your insurance until 26 years old even if they are not in school, if they are married, or living away from home.  Our daughter, Chelsea, just turned 22 and will be graduating this year.  Before we knew about this I told her she would just have to go to grad school, if she couldn't get a job right away with benefits, in order to remain on our insurance.  Our insurance keeps her covered until she is 25 as long as she is a student.  This new law will now allow her to have a chance to check out what she really would like to do after school without feeling pressured into getting a job with insurance benefits right away.  She is double majoring in math and education with both credentials.  She only went this direction because as a teacher she would have good insurance coverage but she is also interested in engineering.  So now she's thrilled with the fact that she will get a chance to decide.  So,  check into this before you make your decision based on being cut off the insurance.

Did you find out any more information about your facial nerve... is it there?...was it cut? 

Chelsea is in the same situation you are in.  She has right side facial paralysis but is not ready to do any surgeries yet.  She feels that medicine and technology is moving so quickly that there is a chance that another option with better results could be around the corner.  It has been 15 months since her last resection surgery.  She, as we all are, is praying-hoping she will see some improvement soon. This is hard for anyone to go through especially when you guys are so young.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Michelle

epodjn

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 11:19:45 am »
My heart goes out to you for having to deal with all this at such a young age but it really is too early to make such a serious decision and you should be able to stay on your parents insurance for a few more years and that will buy you some time. You need to find out what was really done but if your nerve is still intact there is an excellent chance that you will be seeing some movement in the next few months. I know it seems like it will never happen!! And it's super slow when it does. I had my nerve completely severed because the tumor was on the facial nerve but they were able to reattach it. It took about 8 months before i saw any movement at all but now that I'm almost 2 years post op I can do a small Mona Lisa type smile. No one understand how important a smile is until it's gone. It's a really hard thing to deal with, especially in social situations. Hang in there and keep posting. You are not alone in the feelings you are going through. There are alot of us who understand.
Julie
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 12:25:52 pm »

I did not get any movement until 13 months postop!! (and it was very little)... it was a 2 year process.. (starting at the 13 months!)   a little more movement every few months... now at 5 years , its not great.. but I can smile at least !!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 03:39:26 am »
KIM: seems like the first step is to confirm with your doc if you still have the 7th nerve or not, makes all the difference in the world where you go from here. Gee I would think if he removed it he would remember when talking to you, he should be dictating his surgical notes immediately after surgery and referring to them before he answers a thing like that!
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)