Author Topic: Waiting for MRI results  (Read 4265 times)

lifesadance

Waiting for MRI results
« on: August 24, 2010, 10:49:48 am »
Hi

Had my My MRI on Sunday morning and am currently waiting for the results.  I am sure you have all been here too!  I have to say reading all the message board has helped calm my anxiety. 

So I only went to get a hearing test because my husband was sick and tired of me talking so loud.  I have been guessing what he was saying for a long time now.  Not very good at it either.  It was last Feb when I realized just how bad my hearing was getting.  My friend and I were at a conference and she was whispering to me during the speaker.  I had to turn my left ear to her.  We laughed that I was getting old and moved on. I had started to notice that laying on my left side i couldn't hear the TV out of my right ear. 

Went to get a hearing test and found a significant loss at high frequencies in my right ear.  ENT had me scheduled for an MRI with in 5 min and gave me the run down of what would happen if the MRI found anything.  He also started the referall paperwork for the neurosurgeon.  The whole time assuring me it was very rare. The Appt sure turned out diffrent then I expected.  I thought he was going to tell me its normal and suggest a hearing aid.

After reading the symptoms.. Not sure the internet is always a good thing I started to pay attention.  My office has white noise machines.  I got somewhere quiet and realized the whitnoise was always there in my right ear (not really a ringing)  I have no balance anyway due to another nerve issue from 20 yrs ago.  I have a neuropathy in my arms and legs.  Although it may be worse... Might just be the internet too!  I feel like such silly person!

So the ENT is out of the office until tomarrow.  Tried to peek at the MRI while I was there.  I thought I saw the dreaded white spot but I can be a bit overactive too and it was only a peek. I am refusing to stress until he tells me it was something.  The dye made me feel like crap. 

I haven't said much to anyone yet.  My husband doesn't want to discuss it. So I am writing because I feel pretty alone.  I am a women of faith and know that whatever it is I will be fine.  Its the unknown that eats at me. 

So its Tuesday the 24th.  The Dr will be back tomarrow I hope.  Results should be in! What if its not AN?  What else causes Neural hearing loss?

Thanks for being here and sharing your experience Strength and Hope 

iluuvpups

Re: Waiting for MRI results
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 11:07:57 am »
Hi.  Welcome to the forum and to this wonderful supportive community!  You are not alone.  You are among friends here who will help you through this, whatever the results may be. 

I did a quick google on "neural hearing loss" and found that there are lots of results that you can look at if you're interested.  There appear to be a lot of causes.

I find that the unknown eats at me too.  The only thing that helps me is to get my mind off it by getting busy.  Otherwise, I just obsess on the what if's.  Do your best to put this out of your mind until you get the results from the doctor.

Let us know how it goes.  --Carol Ann
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

Lizard

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 12:41:42 pm »
I'm sorry you are in this position, I feel for you and I'm remembering how the wait for the results of the most recent MRI (next one is in Nov).  Many members of my family have hearing loss, which is why I didn't even think twice about it and none other than me have an AN, so there are MANY other causes of this, and could totally be because of age.  Try not to get yourself too wound up, hopefully you hear something tomorrow and if not call them and get a different doctor to read the results. 
Hang in there and I'll be saying prayers for you.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

lifesadance

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 01:35:34 pm »
Thank you both for the words of encouragement. 

I am hoping at the end of this wait I will be laughing at myself "Again" for being so silly! 

I have been blessed by reading all the stories, my heart aches for each one.  I have experiance many challenages in my life.  However, i know that through each one I have earned a flashlight, that is ready and waiting for the person coming behind me who needs some light on the path.  What visual ... This site is lit up like stadium, flashlights shining everywhere!

Renee

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 01:47:08 pm »
Hi, Renee ~

Welcome to our little 'community'.  Of course I certainly hope the MRI doesn't indicate an acoustic neuroma as the cause of your symptoms -  but if it does, I think you'll be O.K.  Although reading AN information on the internet can be a bit confusing and even scary, depending on the source, this website - specifically dedicated to AN patients - and these forums, populated by folks who are sympathetic and compassionate as well as having personal experience dealing with an acoustic neuroma diagnosis, are an excellent place to obtain practical information as well as lots of understanding and support as you work your way through the AN 'journey'.  We're not doctors and cannot give you specific medical advice but as patients, we can offer you practical advice, based on our real-life experiences dealing with an acoustic neuroma.   Although, to be honest, there are some negatives to consider, the majority of AN patients do just fine.  There may be a few set-backs or surprises along the way (we can't anticipate everything) but most complications are temporary and are eventually resolved.  AN removal surgery is decidedly delicate and requires an experienced, skilled surgeon.  Radiation treatment, while non-invasive, carries it's own set of cautions and should be handled by a radiation oncologist familiar with treating acoustic neuromas.

The good news is that acoustic neuromas are 99.9% benign (non-malignant) and very treatable, even when they're grown quite large.  Mine was large and was debulked and radiated very successfully.  Many of our members have similar stories.  Even those with less than perfect outcomes to surgery or radiation usually recover, in time.  My parting thought is that you try not to dwell on the negative, should the MRI show a tumor. This is also a perfect time to draw on your faith.  That helped me, tremendously during my surgery/radiation/recovery.  I"m sure it will do the same for you.

Jim  
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:45:26 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

bell

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 10:58:03 am »
Sorry you are joining our  support group but this is a great site. Do research before you decide to do anything and listen to everyones suggestions. Good luck in your decisions. Stay positive, God Bless
Bell

grega

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 12:59:44 pm »
WOW Renee .... that IS quite a "visual" .... all the lights in this stadium .... that's terrif !!!

Glad you found this forum, and I know that you will find a lotta help herein.  And tell hubby that it is good that he discuss this with you, even if he might also be fearful of the future (just my personal thought).

Keep dancing !!!!!!!!!!   ;D

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

lifesadance

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 03:24:38 pm »
The results are in!!! MRI is normal!!!   Praise God!  He didn't give me any next thing to try other than redoing the hearing test in 3 months. 

So for now I will breath in and breath out.
Thank you all for sharing your stories I know I will check back often and keep this group in prayer

Renee

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 03:27:20 pm »
Renee ~

One word: Congratulations!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

iluuvpups

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 04:13:56 pm »
Congratulations Renee!  What a relief for you!
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

Lizard

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 08:20:23 am »
Congrats!  Happy you don't have to be a part of our club, even though we do know how to have a good time  ;D
liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt