Author Topic: balance set-back  (Read 3567 times)

suz

balance set-back
« on: August 24, 2010, 09:21:49 am »
Hello friends,
I am stumped! I am almost six weeks post-op and had been making steady progress towards my "normal". Had started to carefully resume activities like hiking and using the treadmill at the gym with no problem other than fatigue.  Then two nights ago I awoke at 2:30 a.m. and the room was spinning just like my first few days post-op. My gait is very off; stumblingand feeling really off balance. The  evening prior I was in  a swimming pool for the first time; my family and I were playing "Keep away" with a ball; I was at one point laughing so hard that I got a sudden headache and stopped playing. The headache went away quickly and I was fine for the rest of the evening Don't know if the headache and the set-back have any connection - I am just trying to make some sense of it all. And to be honest, I really don't want to call my doc! (I know, I will anyway)
Hoping one or two of you wll say that you have had JUST THE SAME THING happen to you, and that it is a normal part of recovery. I really want to get back to my life as it was - especially driving and really working out. I was so close to being there and now  I don't know where I stand.
Would LOVE to hear from others that have had setbacks and how you overcame them.
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

iluuvpups

Re: balance set-back
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 10:18:15 am »
Hi Suz.  Sorry to hear about your setback.  While I don't have the exact same experience since my vestibular system had already compensated by the time of surgery, so I didn't experience dizziness I do sometimes feel like it's two steps forward and one step backward.  I'm almost 3 months post-op now.  And I will get this tightness in my ear that I had thought had gone away recurring.  It's like there's something pressing on my ear drum or like I'm up in an airplane or something.  It goes away then it returns.  I sometimes think the fat they put in there might be shifting around.  I wonder if this might be the case in your instance.  Something got shifted around a bit in there?  I'm sure you will get back to where you were quickly.  Just hang in there!  --Carol Ann 
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

moe

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 11:11:47 am »
I think you just overdid it, and your body was telling you such :o Between the walking/hiking/treadmill/pool, that's a lot going on on the vestib system!

Like Carol Ann said, one step forward, two steps backward.

Give it time, everyone recovers at different rates. 6 weeks is really soon for some.  Back to gentle walks, and balance games!
The WII fit is a great tool for anyone with this surgery. I use mine, not as frequently as I once did,
but still use if. 4 years post op and probably forever, I will be doing the balance games. You just gotta keep working at it.

So no, I never had set back like that, but when I would over do it, my legs would turn to"jello" and I would have to cut back. This went on for about a year for me. Enjoy the simple pleasures of life ;D
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 12:45:51 pm »
I agree with the other two posts, you probably just over did it.  6 weeks post-op is not a long time, you should be thrilled that you can go on the treadmill and play in the pool.  Don't forget to listen to your body and that little headache was your body telling you its time to stop.  If your wonky head doesn't clear up I'd call the Dr. , but its probably nothing to be worried about.  Just try to get some extra rest over the next couple days.
Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

suz

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 09:39:43 pm »
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I think you are all correct in that I overdid it. Haven't gotten rid of the Wonkymonster yet but my physical therapist gave me a few new tricks to try and if that doesn't get me back on target then I'll call my docs. Due to go back to work in two weeks so I am hoping to feel well enough by then.
My kids have Wii fit - maybe I'll check it out. Good suggestion!
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 12:15:46 am »
The fact that you're working hard to get back to normal is what matters. I'm just over a year post-op and I still have occasional days where its not as good...best bet...as previously said is to listen to your body. Of course...sometimes the best thing is to tell it to take a hike...literally. I wouldn't push too hard this short after surgery but once everything is healed the best thing you can do is to push yourself harder than ever before.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org