Author Topic: BAHA vs. CROS - please advise  (Read 5143 times)

Adri

BAHA vs. CROS - please advise
« on: August 19, 2010, 01:17:06 am »
Hi -

I recently lost the hearing on my left side from my AN.  The doctors have recommended either the BAHA or the CROS to help.

Any info, advice or experience with either aid would be appreciated!

Thanks!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA vs. CROS - please advise
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 07:13:47 am »
Adri -

for all practical purposes the cros is outdated and not usually recommended by neurotologists.

The BAHA is incredible - I've had one for a little over two years now and have never been sorry.  A BAHA isn't a hearing aid - it's an implant or prothesis, which is why insurance companies will usually pay for the surgery as well as the processor. 

You should ask your doctor to let you try the BAHA demo.  It's not as good as the "real" thing, but it will give you a little idea of what it's like.

There are numerous posts here on the Forum - lots of them by me  ;D - but if you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to send me a personal message or email me (my email address is in my profile).

Here is some general info about the BAHA http://www.umm.edu/otolaryngology/baha.htm

You'll find more @ www.cochlearamericas.com

If your doctor doesn't implant BAHAs, there's a section where you can "Find a Clinic" which lists doctors in your area.  I don't know where you're from, but I also know a few doctors (including mine) who do the implant and I could suggest one.

Another great resource is the Cochlear Community (www.cochlearcommunity.com) which is a discussion forum similar to this one for people who wear, or are candidates for, BAHAs and CIs (cochlear implants). 

IMO, BAHAs rocks - and you can't go wrong with one. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 08:31:55 am »
This is a good question & one that I have wanted to post but just haven't had time.  You really have to follow this...my niece's boyfriend's DAD (still with me?) had an AN in 2006.  He called me the other day because Daniel told him I was considering the BAHA.  He talked to me for almost an HOUR - such a sweet man!  Anyway, he is REALLY for the CROS - I think because he finally got it work (after much grief) and it was so wonderful to hear SOMETHING again!  I really appreciate his time and input but I really don't think that is something that I want to waste time persuing...also, my insurance will pay for the BAHA and I doubt that it will for the CROS...

Anyway, very interested...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

tenai98

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 10:14:29 am »
I demoed both the CROS and the BAHA.. the CROS would great but I didnt like the fact of having behind the ear pieces. especially with me wearing glasses. I dint like the amplified noise that the CROS delivered...I went with the BAHA cuz to me its more cosmetic looking and the VA paid for my BAHA....I paid $0.00 for the unit and I love it
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 11:39:31 am »
BAHA is the way to go and it ROCKS!  ;D I used to wear a bone conductor on a headband for 47 years and I can tell ya it's not comfortable to wear to say the least.  ::) I would imagine wearing a Behind the ear would not be all that great, either.  BAHA is the way to go.  Insurance will not pay for the hearing aids but will most likely to  pay for the BAHA and the surgery.
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 02:57:30 pm »
Cochlear will help you with insurance issues if you decide to get one of their BAHA implants and processors.

On their website there is an area called OMS - forget what that stands for - but check it out if you have questions about (or have problems with) insurance coverage.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 03:01:11 pm »
Kay -

I don't remember the specifics of the Cros - but I do remember discussing it with my doc, more than once - and he and I both agreed it just wasn't for me.

He told me that most of his patients who are SSD go with the BAHA or the TransEar.  Although I didn't think the TransEar was for me, he said it is a very good option for those who decide on it.  In the past there have been issues with the wiring, but those have been resolved.

The posts on the Forum from those who have a TransEar support my doc's statement - those who have them are happy with them.

The main thing with the TransEar - as I understand it - is getting the proper fit in the ear canal.  Fit is crucial.

Jan

grega

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 07:44:17 pm »
Hi Adri,

I had transear fitted for me, and tried to use it for a short time, but it was too uncomfortable so deep in my ear, and not effective re sound volume and quality.  Then I did have cros for 3 years, but it was cumbersome, and it was two devices which both needed batteries and still not real effective.  So, about the time I joined this forum in ernest in early 2009, I became interested in the baha, based on what I read herein.  I now have baha and use it mostly in situations where a lot of additional noise would not allow me to hear on my deaf side.  To me there is quite a measureable (positive) difference in sound volume and quality compared to the other devices.

And keep in mind that the baha tester will not help you hear as well as the real thing.

I finally made the right decision.  Best to you in your decision-making.

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"