Author Topic: 2 Things...Hmmmm  (Read 9304 times)

Kaybo

2 Things...Hmmmm
« on: August 18, 2010, 04:54:55 pm »
Hello All!

First, I finally scheduled my consultation today with Dr. Vrabec here in Houston about the BAHA.  They will do a hearing test first and then I will meet with him.  Wish me luck!!  :D

On a more serious note...this weekend while we were at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort, someone pulled the fire alarm and it started going off at 11:55 p.m.  It was a false alarm but it got me to thinking...I was asleep on my good ear at the time and I really don't know if I would have heard it if Dave wouldn't have awakened me.  I rarely EVER travel alone, but for those of you who do Business Travel (JAN!), what would you do to make sure you get out safe?  Should we tell them when we check in that we might not hear an alarm??

Give me your thoughts!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

iluuvpups

Re: 2 Things...Hmmmm
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 05:26:36 pm »
Hi.  You raise an important issue.  I think about this a lot as I live alone, so it pertains to me not just when traveling.  I wonder what people who are deaf in both ears do for things like fire alarms in their homes?
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 05:27:48 pm »
Some hotels have a fire alarm strobe light for the deaf. I have read that when read the list of room amenities.    Now if that is also part of a handicapped accessible room, I am not sure but I am in the same boat as you and have never really mentioned that I need one for the few times I do stay alone.      There also might be some other room items for the deaf too.               Good thing to bring up!                                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 05:35:11 pm »
There are all kind of items available for the deaf.   Several catalogs of stuff to use.      We became aware  of that when I was close to all deaf prior to my last surgery.      I was already using the captioned telephone and tv. Now do not need them.     I would have to look up now what the names of some of the companies that have items for the deaf.      I got some info from a center for the deaf and when you walked in, a lamp blinked off and on so they could tell someone had walked in.           
                                                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 11:42:27 pm »
First and foremost, Kaybo, congratulations on scheduling a BAHA appointment with Dr. Vrabec  ;D

If you do decide there's a BAHA in your future, you have one hell of an Official BAHA Recovery Kit (compliments of your two "sisters") to look forward to.  Nothing would make us happier than to "gift" you  :-*

As for the alarm question, great question.  Unfortunately, I have no answer - since I've honestly never thought about this.

When I travel for business my biggest concern is sleeping through the alarm, so I set the one on my cell phone and make sure I fall asleep with it in my hand.  Truthfully  ::)

Not sure what this says about me.  Maybe I'm more fearful of losing my job than I am of burning up in a fire  ???

Cheryl R's idea of a handicapped room is a great one - and I know that most hotels have them.  Whether they all include a strobe light for the deaf, I can't say.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 11:56:10 pm »
Hi Kaybo,
I not only live alone but travel frequently as well.  If I am sleeping on my good ear, I can run into a problem.  In a hotel I have set the alarm (loud), set the alarm on my cell and also asked for a wakeup call.  A few months ago, I had just gotten out of the shower and there was pounding on my room door.  When I opened it, the security crew was standing there.  They called my room twice and when I didn't answer the wake up call, they sent security!  I do what Jan does...I set the cell and either hold it or put it right next to me.  I set it to vibrate as well as ring.  I often do not sleep well when I am traveling BECAUSE I am afraid of missing the alarm.  I have definitely slept through the alarm at home and have missed meetings.  That may explain why I only sleep a few hours a night!  ???
~Dale~
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 01:52:21 am »
Congratulation Kaybo on getting a Baha.  That's a very big step.  Anyways there is something for you to check out this link and browse around.  They have lots for stuff for use in home or travel. You'll find what you might be looking for.    http://www.hearmore.com/store/default.asp?idstore=0

As for the fire alarm in my house, I have a flashing light smoke alarms and I trained one of my dog to alert me if there is a fire.  I used a lighter to flash in her face and she would bark at the fire from the lighter.  
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 01:55:39 am by Kencutus »
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 04:30:19 am »
I often do not sleep well when I am traveling BECAUSE I am afraid of missing the alarm.  I have definitely slept through the alarm

I know the feeling.. I commonly dont hear the alarm ....  When I travel for work , I open the curtans all the way before going to bed... normally the bright sun in the morning gets me up before the alarm goes off !!  8)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 06:33:50 am »
There has been mention a long time ago of the alarm which has pad which you put under your pillow and it vibrates.    I do not know if it has a version that you can take with you easily.    There is also a device for home use which shakes the bed.      I did not look these up but am sure can Google and find them.           I should see about one but have got by with my alarm and husband waking me up.                                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 08:27:45 am »
I recommend the "Shake Awake" - you put it under your pillow and it REALLY vibrates (much more than my cell which I put under my pillow at camp)!  My friend got me one when Dave was traveling b/c I was getting NO sleep for fear that I would not get the kids ready for school.  I have the travel one - which I use all the time - that works great!!

Do you really think a strobe - that might be by the door would wake you...I wonder?

K   ;D

PS - Jan...Don't kid yourself - I'm expecting BIG things from a BAHA Recovery Kit!
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 03:21:19 pm »
PS - Jan...Don't kid yourself - I'm expecting BIG things from a BAHA Recovery Kit!

Recently one of our soon to be recipients (I believe it was Tracy Lynn) asked me if the kits contained alcohol  :D

We may have to consider this upgrade for you, Kay.

I'm not sure what the laws are about sending alcohol across state lines, though.

Oh, yeah, no worries - I'll just put Lori's return address on the package LOL

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 07:40:43 pm »
Kay, there are a lot of different shake awake alarms on the internet.  Do you know the brand of the one you have?  Thanks.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 09:57:52 pm »
http://www.activeforever.com/p-1704-shake-awake-vibrating-alarm-clock.aspx?CMPID=Froogle_shake-awake-vibrating-alarm-clock

this is a picture (hopefully) of the exact one that I have...I saw one on Amazon that had orange on it & it was obviously the same company - I couldn't see any other company beside "Shake Awake"

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

grega

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 07:47:31 am »
Kay .... Yea and hooray for setting up your baha appt .... we can't wait til you (hopefully) join the rest of us who use it.  Each day better and better.  Not many people ask me about it, but I'm preparing answers for when I might be asked.

Yesterday sisters and I stepped out for lunch across street from Christiana Hosp in Newark DE, as Mom was in operating room for several hours.  I thought if anyone asked, I'd say .... These two women just helped me escape from my hospital room, and I couldn't remove all the medical devices before I left .... can you please help me with this last one?  :o

Interesting discussion about alarms .... hadn't thought of this before, as I usually awaken near the same time (body clock stuff) .... good thing tho, cause the dogs need to go out and I don't want to be late for carpool, the former being the most important of course  ::)

I do rely on a lighted alarm clock at home and my cell phone on travel. 

Kay, I looked at and read about that under-pillow clock you use ..... does "The Princess and the Pea" come to mind?  Seems a tad uncomfortable.  And if that pictured lady used it correctly, we wouldn't see the clock .... right?  Not for some, as extra batteries are heavy.

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Kaybo

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 10:33:37 am »
Grega~
You are so funny!

I sleep on 2 pillows so I don't notice it.  I only used one at camp and put my iPhone under it - I didn't notice the uncomfortable-ness...I was just worried that my phone would come out & go crashing onto the floor!!  You are right - she is not using it correctly at all!!

K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!