Author Topic: Emotional Rollercoaster...........  (Read 11006 times)

kathleen anna

Emotional Rollercoaster...........
« on: August 12, 2010, 05:06:17 am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello.....I am new to this sight and also newly diagnosed with an AN on the 29th of July..(happy birthday to me!!)  I have had hearing loss for about 3 years and was told that a virus damaged my nerves.  In February, I had a bout of vertigo and have not truly healed....still off balance, still no hearing, and when I turn my head, it feels like it takes a few seconds for my head to focus on what I am looking at, having pain in the left ear, numbness on the left side of my face and on and in my mouth.  I went in for a MRI and found the AN on the left side.......I have surgery scheduled (translab) on September 15th.   Now here is my "emotional rollercoaster".   I thank God every day that this tumor isnt malignant.  I know that there are many, many more people in this world that receive horrible diagnosis than an AN.  Then on the other hand, I am so tired of physically not feeling good, am scared about the surgery and the recouperation, and I feel guilty feeling this way because I know it could be worse.  I have been a single working mom for 14 years and pretty much can handle things that come my way.......usually look at the glass as half full, not empty.   But I really am having a hard time with this one!   Too many emotions..... Has anyone felt this way and any advise on how to get off this ride??   Thanks.......Kathleen Anna

Cheryl R

Re: Emotional Rollercoaster...........
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 05:27:35 am »
Kathleen Anna,    Many,many of us have felt this way!       The time before surgery is so hard as one can't be told exactly how it is going to be post op!     Once you know post op what effects it has on us does help.       Plus makes for a new way of life for us.   One does adjust in time and many issues get better in time.      How long the time is varies for everyone and may try the patience!          So hang in there and be good to yourself now  and feel free to talk to us all you need be.     We know how scary a time it can be.                                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 06:24:57 am »
Kathleen Anna .....

Welcome to this forum of caring, supportive new friends!  As Cheryl said so well, most of us on here can well remember the emotional roller coaster we were on after diagnosis of an AN.

Please know that we understand and we care.  The best thing that worked for me was to busy myself with fun and/or interesting things to do ..... spend time with family and/or good friends.  It also helps to organize your household to make things a little easier post-op.

Best thoughts and many prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 11:04:22 am »
Kathleen Anna .....

The best thing that worked for me was to busy myself with fun and/or interesting things to do ..... spend time with family and/or good friends.  It also helps to organize your household to make things a little easier post-op.

I agree with Clarice, it helped to surround myself with good people and staying busy was key.  It was still hard and I had to take anti-anxiety meds from time to time, but only on really bad days.  Try to do some of the things you love the most, I rollerbladed A LOT!  It made me happy and helped my balance.  Try to do physical things to help clear your mind.  A good dose of endorphins does it every time.
Hang in there and let us know if you need anything...we're here to give advice, share experiences, but also to listen.
Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 11:19:33 am »
Hi, you are definitely entitled to these emotions you have an AN and having surgery yes it is benign but it is still major... Just try not to get too stress before the surgery think and do some things that you enjoy and if you need to vent we are all here for you.

From someone who does not like rollercoasters but has been on one for a few years...

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 03:16:13 pm »
Hi, Kathleen Anna - and welcome to the ANA discussion forums! 

I'm sorry you've been diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma but I can understand the stress you're dealing with and the emotional 'roller coaster' you've described, because we've all felt like that at some point, so what you're experiencing is quite normal.  Although we're grateful to learn that the tumor in our head is not cancerous, simply hearing a doctor tell you that you have a 'brain tumor' is shocking and often, life altering.  I seriously doubt that anyone hearing those words can remain completely unruffled, so your angst is hardly without cause. That you don't feel well to begin with is clearly a factor in your emotional whiplash.   

AN removal surgery is no picnic but techniques have vastly improved and most AN surgical patients do very well with the surgery and enjoy an excellent recovery.  The surgery can run from 6 to 12 hours.  Mine lasted 9.  You'll be 'asleep' during that time so your waiting family and friends will have it the hardest.  The hospital stay is approximately 5 days, for most AN patients. The first few days post-op are usually spent sleeping but within 72 hours, the majority of AN surgical patients begin to sit up, walk the halls and generally 'come back'.  This was my experience.  Following discharge from the hospital, you'll likely not be physically up to doing much but within a week or so, you'll improve.  Balance-related PT is often helpful at this time.  I had it and it helped.  I also did a lot of walking to regain my sense of balance, and that was also very beneficial. The 'average' AN surgical patient returns to work within six weeks, although fatigue is often a factor and if you can stay home longer, it's often a good idea.  Complications can arise during and after the surgery, but usually these are transient.  Still, we all worry about the unknown, and no doctor can guarantee total success and no complications. If only they could!  Alas, we all have to deal with a certain degree of 'unknown' with AN surgery (or radiation) but fortunately, you've found a great place to vent, ask questions or just read about other AN patient's stories and, we hope, find some solace and maybe a bit of inspiration.  I hope you'll consider the AN forums as a resource and the people that post here as 'family'.  We care about you and want to help in whatever way we can.  Please don't hesitate to post when you feel you need too.  We'll be here for you.  We don't second-guess or judge, we just want to support you and whatever decisions you make.  I look forward to seeing your posts.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 06:28:12 pm »
Hi Kathleen Anna,
Yes, I can totally relate to your feelings and they are NORMAL!

Believe it or not, I was actually relieved to learn of my AN, because I had been feeling crummy for YEARS, and didn't know why. And I DID feel better after surgery. I could actually think clearer, I was able to enjoy morning coffee, without feeling like I had to go back to bed.

I'm optimistic for you that you will feel sooo much better once you get the booger out of your brain! Attitude has a lot to do with it so continue to think pos with your glass half full and you will do fine. Really, once the surgery is over and you recuperate (which can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 month to 2 months (every one is different :) ) youlll be on your way.

Sorry for the crummy birthday gift, but look at it on the positive side. You know it is there and it is treatable, and hopefully you will be on the road to feeling better after surgery. Majority of cases have minimal side effects. If you feel the anxiety is getting to be too much, don't hesitate to ask your doctor for a little help along the way, OK?

We're here for you. give us more specifics if you haven't about where the surgery is, size, etc.... Good info from JIM!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 06:52:47 pm »
I sure as hell do NOT feel guilty for being terrified and climbing the walls over my AN.

I do know I did have my childhood and things could be worst. But when I whack my finger with a hammer. I get really pissed off. Not cuz I'm selfish. Cuz it totally sucks.

Who cares if you have a pity party. Do it. You can only feel sorry for yourself for so long before you get bored with it.

As for your birthday. Your 2010 birthday, you will never forget. And you have me beat. My Initials are BP and July 13 is when I found out about my AN and the day BP capped the well. Its been a bad year for me too. I think someone put the voodoo on BP and hit me instead.

I'm still waiting on a date. So atleast your one step ahead of me.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 11:55:43 am »
Kathleen Anna,
Welcome to our world of "normal,"  but sorry about the dues you had to pay to join!  What you are feeling is right on target.  First the diagnosis and then a barrage of important decisions to make, with all the worries that come with it.  Then you end up w/information overload as you try to understand the tumor and the treatment.  The good news is that this is the right place to get answers.  Whatever your question or situation, one or several of the forumites have been there/done that. Use us get answers, encouragement, or just plain whine!  You are under a lot of pressure and you need to talk to people who "get it." ;)

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

TR4guy

• Hey - what happened to my photo?
    • Inside Scott's Head
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 12:57:34 am »
I've seen those older roller coasters where they have two coasters that run side by side . . .
(Over at King's Dominion I beileve it was called the Gemini . . . and I also believe they started running it BACKWARDS later in its lifespan to try and get more riders)

Anyway ---  I'm right there with you. . . on the parallel rollercoaster journey.

Very similar symptoms.
You were diagnosed several weeks later than me but are getting surgery only 6 days after me!
Things are really moving fast for you! 

I don't know about you, but I'm kind of a mess myself.  A lot of it is of my own making though, since I have told very few people what's going on with me. 
I actually went about 4 weeks without telling anyone about it.
That's something that is likely to change by the end of this upcoming week as I think there will be a general announcement.
It has me a little concerned because for some reason it is the expressions of sympathy and offerings of help from friends (as they all know I essentially don't have any close family) that throws me into an emotional spiral.

I don't know how much helpI can be, but if you want to talk to someone riding the twin rollercoaster at the same time as you, feel free to drop me a line.

Scott
40 yr old single male
Alexandria, VA
3.5cm AN on right side diagnosed July 2010.

Significant unilateral hearing loss
tinnitus
fullness of ear (starting to hurt!)
Occasional headaches on one side
Some loss of balance when moving

Translab Surgery at House Clinic on Sept. 14th. (2010)
Doing GREAT!

Funnydream

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 01:09:59 am »

I don't know about you, but I'm kind of a mess myself.  A lot of it is of my own making though, since I have told very few people what's going on with me.  
I actually went about 4 weeks without telling anyone about it.

I tell everyone. Get lots of sympathy and ahhhhhhs. Lots of people saying they will pray. Even had a permit for construction work on my home that was going to run out soon. Was able to say with a strait face "I have brain cancer and can I get a break?" and got a full one year extra on the permit for no charge.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 05:57:01 am »
Kathleen Anna:

Welcome to this forum, although I think the membership requirement is a bummer.

When I got my diagnosis, I got right on that rollercoaster, front seat. (My diagnosis came very near my birthday, too, check out "Guess what I got for my birthday . . .")

Anyway, this forum is an excellent place to spill your guts, question, whine, proclaim your victories, whatever. Most of all, know that you are not alone. Check in often, let us know how you're doing, let us know how we can help.  :)
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 09:37:24 am »
Was able to say with a strait face "I have brain cancer and can I get a break?" and got a full one year extra on the permit for no charge.

Just wanted to clarify here that an Acoustic Neuroma isn't cancerous.  Statistically 99.9% of ANs are benign.

You have a brain tumor, you don't have brain cancer.  Two ENTIRELY different things.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Louise UK

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 12:12:18 pm »
Im glad you pointed that out Jan. Dont want any newbies getting the wrong idea about AN's. Very reassuring  :)

Louise. x

Funnydream

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 04:36:55 pm »
Was able to say with a strait face "I have brain cancer and can I get a break?" and got a full one year extra on the permit for no charge.

Just wanted to clarify here that an Acoustic Neuroma isn't cancerous.  Statistically 99.9% of ANs are benign.

You have a brain tumor, you don't have brain cancer.  Two ENTIRELY different things.

Jan

Sorry. I'm a newbie 4sure.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm