Author Topic: BAHA Babes  (Read 1765 times)

Brewers7

BAHA Babes
« on: August 10, 2010, 09:51:02 am »
We found a surgeon in Jackson, MS who has done a number of BAHA surgeries and who can do them with local anesthesia.  I go meet with him the 25th.  They are going to make sure I have enough bone left to hold the abutment.  (In addition to the AN surgery, I had surgeries through my left temporal lobe for MRSA.  They removed a circle of bone about two inches in diameter which is now covered by a plate.)  How much bone is necessary?  I tried the demo, and it was so helpful.  This issue never occurred to me.  I think that my original surgery was retrosigmoid.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA Babes
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 11:11:44 pm »
A good BAHA surgeon will know to look for the best bone available for the implant.  "Proper" bone is crucial because if the implant doesn't calcify into the skull properly, the implant will fall out.

My BAHA site is directly on top of my AN site (from retrosigmoid surgery) because the bone density there is good.  I have a plate from the AN surgery in this area and have had no problems except for a screw sticking up slightly - which my doctor will be removing with his screwdriver on Tuesday morning  8)  This will be about a 10 minute outpatient procedure with local anesthesia.

Lori (lori67) has her BAHA placed in an entirely different area of her head because she has better density in that area. 

I'm confident your doctor will be able to find a place for the implant; most docs do.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways