Author Topic: Just recently diagnosed  (Read 11186 times)

KathleenMary

Re: Just recently diagnosed
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 08:49:40 pm »
Thanks for your comments.  I am scheduled for the gamma knife on August 31st and really would appreciate being put on the calendar.  I will keep you all posted.  Have a headache tonight but also had 2 beers...LOL

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 09:35:44 pm »
KathleenMary -

I put your big "date" on the AN calendar.

Cheers!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

KathleenMary

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 09:06:35 pm »
Hi all,  Just getting a bit wacked out about my upcoming gamma knife trip on Tuesday.  I can't believe how anxious I am.  The nurse from the center called me this week.
She assured me that they would give me Valium to start with, as soon as I get to the suite.  Then at some point I will get Verset (sp) and Phenalin (SP).  This is the stuff Michael Jackson had...and then when it is all over I will get a Vicodin.  Sounds like a lot of drugs but then I really want to be drugged up.  The nurse said that really the only discomfort will be in the injection of novacaine. She stated it burns but only lasts about 5 seconds.  It all looks so uncomfortable.  Anyway folks, I just thought I would post since we will be leaving on Monday.  Will be back home Wednesday and if I am up to it will post on Thursday.  I do know I will be okay.  We have all gone through something and it probably is not as bad as one would expect, when it is all said and done.  I am ramblin.' Kathleen Mary

eab

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 10:26:56 pm »
KM,
Congrats on making a decision and getting scheduled before your insurance switch - great to have Drs that will work with you like that!  I had GK a year ago and the days before are nerve-wracking.  You will be fine, the drugs will do their job and if they aren't be sure to ask for more.  The actual GK is boring so bring a CD of music you like, the Dr. will usually play it for you.  Anything to help you relax! By the time I got home I felt really good, a tad tired so I took a nap but that had just as much to do with taking advantage of the babysitting my mother-in-law was providing - I didn't want her to think she wasn't needed! My side effects were limited - the weirdest thing was that the top of my head was numb for a couple weeks but it's fine now.

If you have any questions be sure to pm me, I would be happy to fill you in on any of the details of the actual experience & procedure.
Good luck, here's to a speedy recovery.

Beth
Left side AN 2.5x1.7x1.5cm, limited hearing loss, limited tin., good balance
GK 7/6/09 Hoag Hospital; MRIs at 2, 6 & 12 months show no change in tumor size - hearing etc. same as before GK.

Lizard

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 09:00:46 am »
KM,
Hang in there just a couple more days and you will be a toastie postie! 
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

moe

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 10:35:02 am »
KM,
Didn't have GK but thought I'd chime in and wish you well for Monday.

Your comment:
Then at some point I will get Verset (sp) and Phenalin (SP).

It's versed and it is wonderful! I love my versed! I've had many procedures and such and it will relax and sedate you so you will kind of be aware of what's going on. Like taking a light nap through it all.
Goes in through the IV and you will just drift off into happy land. :P
The anesthesiologist will monitor you closely and then reverse it so you'll "wake up."

As far as the Phenalin, not sure about that one. All I can find is Phenylin which is a blood thinner. (I'm a nurse, this kind of stuff interests me ;) )

Michael Jackson OD'd on propofol-bad stuff.

The vicodin afterwards will help with the head discomfort. It's one of the less powerful narcotics.

You'll be glad you have them, trust me!

Hang in there, Tuesday's coming.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Cheryl R

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 01:39:58 pm »
I know the versed but wondering if the other meant fentanyl  which is a narcotic analgesic which works fast and can be of short term use.   But it is very strong so not sure if needed for the GK.              I had the propofol for my colonscopy so was out of it for the procedure.   But awake easily once awake.        Inquring minds like to know!   LOL!        I miss keeping up with meds now,
                                              Cheryl R   
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

KathleenMary

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 10:45:23 pm »
You guys are the best!.  Thanks for the encouraging word!.  Cheryl it is the Fentanyl, thanks for the correction of spelling...now I know it is Versed.  I'll keep you posted with an update next week.  I am less anxious after reading the posts.  Kathleen Mary

free2be

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 08:41:33 pm »
KathleenMary,

I'm sure you are anxious, I would be too. But, just think, soon this will be behind you and you can move forward. I'm having CK the last week of Sept and that's what I keep telling myself...it'll be done. Try to have a good trip and relax if you can.

Best,
Connie
Diagnosed Nov. 2008 Right AN 7 mm x 9 mm
Incremental MRIs enhancing mass
June 2010 1.4 cm x 0.9 cm extension into the CP angle
Pre-CK Stanford measurements 1.6 X 1.1 cm
9/29/10 - 10/1/10 CK completed with Dr Steven Chang and Soltys, Stanford.
6-month thru three year (8/13) follow ups MRI: stable

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 02:13:55 pm »
You guys are the best!. 

I love to say, "I told you so"
 :D
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change

KathleenMary

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 06:36:26 pm »
Well, I survived the GK.  Feel pretty icky; started on Vicodin which is making me pretty sick.  Vomiting, no real let up on the headaches.  Any other medication ideas guys.  Was given a med for nausea but that does nothing to help with the Vicodin.  At this point can't keep jello down.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
KathleenMary

moe

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 09:49:20 pm »
KathleenMary,
Congrats on getting that GK done! Sorry you feel icky.
If the vicodin is making you sick, I'd say quit taking it, and call the doc for something different. Good ole tylenol, up to 4000 mg /day is OK, and in between Motrin if ok with your doc.
No fun being sick. Ice chips? Cold packs for the head? Just some ideas.
You'll feel better soon, I'm optimistic for you. Sleep if you can......Zzzzzzzz
yay, it's over!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 10:20:00 pm »
Although I've not had my nuke session yet, I'd agree with maureen. I had some Vicodin for my rotator cuff surgery and I can empathize with you, KM, it made me feel "not of the human species". Maybe some Ginger Ale, or maybe some other Ale  ;)

Good luck, I wish you a very speedy recovery - oh, and get your signature up, you deserve to brag.

Mark
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change

Lizard

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 09:12:49 am »
Sorry you feel icky, I threw up a lot after the surgery because of medication on an empty stomach.  I took the nausea meds about 1/2 an hr before the pain pills and that seemed to help some.  Its not a bad idea to call your Dr., trying liquid pain meds might be easier on the tummy.  Hope your pain clears up quickly and you can get back to feeling human again soon.
Welcome to postie land!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

KathleenMary

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 08:00:29 am »
Starting to feelbetter.  Yesterday only took two tylenol.  How long did it take for the sweling/puffiness around the eyes to go away?