Author Topic: 16 days post surgery  (Read 4454 times)

ANinMiami

16 days post surgery
« on: August 04, 2010, 06:30:59 pm »
It has been 16 days post middle fasca surgery.  A 17 mm right sided AN.  I am still recovering, dizzy and off balance but overall doing very well.  
We traveled from Miami, FL to LA to have surgery at House with Dr. Brackman and Dr. Schwartz. It was the best decision I ever made.  The surgery lasted 6 1/2 hours but my hearing was preserved and there was no facial nerve involvement at all.  I do still have a mild ringing in my righ ear.  I was in the hospital from Tuesday to Friday afternoon and was home in Miami by the next Wednesday.  The care was incredible.  The people at House and St. Vincents know what they are doing.  There was a definite procedure that was being followed from ICU, to PT to release.  There is something to be said to going to a facility that specializes in AN's and the medical staff knows exactly how to handle post surgery recovery and care.  I have nothing but the highest regards for Dr. Brackman, Dr. Schwartz, House Clinic and St. Vincent's.  If traveling is possible, House is the way to go!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 10:50:23 am by Jim Scott »

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
Re: 16 weeks post surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 12:14:53 pm »
Thats very good news. I hope you keep your hearing.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 12:50:53 pm »
ANinMiami ~

Congratulations on your very successful AN surgery!  It's always inspiring to read about AN surgery patients that retain their hearing and avoid facial paralysis.  Your wholehearted endorsement of the House Ear Institute in Los Angeles is appreciated and certainly helpful to those facing AN surgery and in a quandary as to where to go. Although there are very competent doctors around the country performing AN removal surgery (mine was in New Haven, CT) knowing that HEI is doing excellent work is a great source of comfort and serves as an option for those who cannot find that kind of AN-related expertise in their local area.  Had I not found a very experienced, compassionate neurosurgeon within 30 miles of my home town, I was considering HEI as my 'fall-back'. Your splendid experience at 'House' is appreciated.  I trust you'll enjoy a rapid and total recovery, too. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 12:39:08 am »
Like Jim, I found stellar doctors right in my own backyard, so even though traveling was possible I really had no need to.

I'm thrilled that you had a great experience at House and that your recovery is going smoothly.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Desilu

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 08:15:45 am »
Hi ANinMiami,

I can't agree with you more. Had my surgery at House also. It was probably one of the best decisions of my life. One entire floor of the hospital is reserved for AN patients only. That means that the nurses and everyone else on the floor are knowledgeable about your situation.  As busy as he is, Dr. Brackmann is very accessible. I just celebrated my 5 year post surgery date and Dr. Brackmann gave me a call and said everything looked great (MRI) and unless I have a problem, there is no longer a need to get any more MRI's. I wish you the best on your recovery. Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 10:15:11 pm »
Ahhh, another Brackmann/Schwartz alumn!  I too had them, back on Dec 9th '09.  I too have not regretted going with them vs. doing with local doctors.  I am glad to hear you are doing very well, keep us updated!!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

ANinMiami

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 06:22:37 pm »
Thanks for all your well wishes.  Doing PT has really been helpful.  I just noticed that my subject was "16 weeks" post surgery. It was actually 16 days!! My 1 month anniversary is August 20.  

No problem.  I changed it.  J.S.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 10:52:50 am by Jim Scott »

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 06:58:40 pm »
Ahhh, 16 DAYS huh? Wellll, I suppose since you were only 16 DAYS post-op, we'll let ya slide...this time only!  ;)  After all, it's only brain surgery you went through, right? LOL
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston