Author Topic: Repairs x 2  (Read 17728 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Repairs x 2
« on: August 03, 2010, 06:24:22 pm »
Well it's been an interesting couple of weeks.

Last Wednesday I had the occasion to chat with the Cochlear support group online about an issue with my BP100.

In a nutshell, I got stuck in program #3 (music) and couldn't access program #1 (normal) or program #2 (noise reduction).  This was a new problem to them - nice to know I'm unique  ;) - and after they attempted to have me reset the processor, with no luck, I was given their Fed Ex account number and told to ship it back for repairs.  I was promised a turnaround time of 5 business days - which sounds great to me.

I've always heard that Cochlear stands behind their products and that they are very customer-service oriented and this experience just proved that to me.

I checked with my audiologist about a loaner, but was told she doesn't yet have a BP100 available to loan.

In the meantime, I've started wearing my Divino again - I'm amazed at how much better the sound quality of the BP100 is - and that's what I'll be taking to Seattle when I leave tomorrow.  Sadly, my repaired BP100 will arrive at my house when I'm not there  :(

Yesterday, I finally had an appointment with my neurotologist to have him remove the screw from my AN surgery that is "interfering" with my BAHA site.  It doesn't cause me lots of trouble - it's taken me over a year to schedule this appointment - but we both decided it's time to remove it.  I thought it was the screw that held the bones back together after they were cut (retrosigmoid approach) but my doc said it's one of the screws that is holding the titanium plate he put in during my AN surgery.  He assured me that removing it won't cause any issues "inside" my head.

Silly me.  I thought he could just whip out a screwdriver right there in his office and take it out - but I was mistaken  ::)

Apparently the screwdriver is a "special" screwdriver - one that doc's typically don't just carry around with them - and in addition, I need a more sterile environment than an exam room for the procedure.  So it looks like there's another OR in my future - albiet one at an outpatient facility.

The plan is to use local anesthesia and have me out of there in about 30 minutes, tops. 

So in a few short weeks, Lori and Kaybo (and Pooter) will no longer be able to accuse me of having a screw loose!  :D

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Repairs x 2
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 06:51:35 pm »
Sorry you won't have your BP100 for your trip, Jan. I'm sure you will appreciate it all the more upon your return home.

As for the other matter . . . I have a spiffy screwdriver with 21 different tips. Surely one of them would fit. I also have an X-acto knife and a sewing kit. If you'd like to drop by Missouri on your way to Seattle, I'm sure I could take care of it for you.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:02:56 pm »
Your no fun........

No Comment!   ::)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:20:22 pm »
Your no fun.......

K   ;D

Well, if it's any consolation, you'll still be able to call me a fat head LOL

Saralynn -

I think the X-acto knife, the 21 tip screwdriver, and the sewing kit would work quite well and we could use Lori's garage as our outpatient facility.

Actually if my insurance company doesn't want to pay for this procedure, I may have to resort to that  ;)

My doc assured me that they will cover it, but you never know when it comes to insurance companies.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:52:01 pm »
Jan, what a bummer!  I have heard of the BAHA "buzzing", but not of being stuck in one mode.  Guess you are pretty unique! 

It is great to hear what you have to say about the Cochlear support.  My audiologist has quite the opposite opinion.  I think she was hoping I would choose the Oticon Ponto Pro, because she has had so much luck with Oticon's service reps.  She has a difficult time getting the Cochlear folks to respond to her.  However, I liked the sound on the demo better on the BP100 and found the controls easier to use.  Now that I know it is easy just to go to Cochlear directly, it may make my life easier if I ever have a problem (which I am not anticipating, and I am not as unique as you are!)
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 04:15:37 pm »
Dale -

Cochlear Americas is known for their customer service.  They are supportive to their customers in many, many ways - from their Cochlear Community to their Coffee Talks for CI and BAHA candidates and wearers.

When I demo'd the Ponto Pro and the BP100 - I preferred the BP100 - but the thing that cemented my decision to go with a Cochlear processor (for the 2nd time) is their reputation.  Oticon has a wonderful reputation as a manufacturer of conventional hearing aids - they've been in business for years - but when I talked to them they had no support whatsoever for their Ponto Pro.

I don't know if this is because the Ponto Pro is their first entry into the BAHA market.  I also don't know if things have changed since the Ponto Pro debutted, but for my money I wanted a company that would treat me like a VIP and Cochlear gets my vote.

Chatting with the customer service rep online was very easy and helpful - saved me a trip to the audiologist's office - and I was emailed a transcript of our conversation for my records.  I also got a followup phone call after the online chat (which I had in my office) by the time I arrived home - about 2 hours later.

So far they have taken excellent care of me - and I've heard the same thing from others.  So at this point I'm extremely satisfied with them.

Jan

Sam Rush

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 12:22:21 pm »
Is there a seperate programming of the BP 100 for volume?  I test drove a BP 100 last weekend and found that the sound was clearer than my Divino, but the max. vol. was not as good as the Divino. The person who lent me her BP said it hadn't been programmed for volume???
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

grega

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 01:30:30 pm »
Hi all  :)

Jan, when you get a chance, please ask Cochlear these follow-up questions after they assess and fix your BP100 .... what caused it to get stuck in program #3 .... and do they have any stats on how often it happens?  I don't now, and don't plan to, connect any music devices to the device, as you do (I think).  Perhaps that had something to do with it getting stuck.

This is timely, since in a week, I'll get my final version (I've had a demo since mid-July, with the none-too-subtle "DEMO" on both sides), and I'd like to know if this situation could rear its ugly head .... while on my ugly head.

Thanks for any feedback that you might learn from Cochlear.  :)

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 10:48:21 pm »
 First of all  I wanted to report that true to their promise Cochlear repaired my BP100 in five business days.

It arrived at Cochlear in Colorado via Fed Ex on Monday, August 2nd and today (Monday, August 9th) it was returned to my home via Fed Ex. 

Now my only issue is I'm in Seattle and my BP100 is in Illinois  :'(  I don't return home until Thursday, August 12th.

Greg -

great thoughts on questions to ask Cochlear.  I'm anxious to see what, if anything, they included in the box with my BP100 or what information they will be willing to share upon questioning.  I'll deal with that "stuff" when I get back home.

The only thing the online support rep (Diane) told me was that the problem I was having was a new one for them.  No one had had it before. 

Sam -

glad you tried the BP100.  I mentioned to you before that the sound is much smoother and natural than the Divino.  You asked me almost a year ago after I tried it at the ANA Symposium in August 2009.

As far as the volume, there are two buttons on top of the BP100 that adjust volume - one increases it; one decreases it.  These buttons reside on either side of the button in the middle.  The middle button is the program button (moves the programs from 1 to 2 to 3) and it also turns the BP100 on and off.  To my knowledge the volume buttons don't need to be programmed, but I could be wrong.

My BP100 wasn't programmed by my audiologist - it was programmed @ Cochlear before I received it.  That's why they returned it to me after the repairs; rather than to my audiologist for programming.

Jan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 09:00:26 am »
Greg -

the paperwork that came back with my BP100 simply said that the middle button was broken and that it took 40 minutes to repair.  It also said that it was under the 2 year warranty period, which it is.

I contacted Cochlear and was told that this is a first for them, and that getting stuck in program 3 wasn't really the issue.  The button not working was the real issue.  It could have just as easily gotten stuck in program 1 or program 2 or the on or off position.  So using the MP3 adapter didn't cause the problem with the button.

I'm anxious to put my BP100 on today.  Although my Divino worked great, the sound is much more smooth and natural with the BP100.

Hope you are enjoying your processor!

Jan

Forgot to mention that my other repair - removal of screw - is scheduled for Tuesday a.m.  We'll be using lidocaine, the procedure takes about 10 minutes, and I've been told I can drive myself home.  So as long as my doc has his screwdriver, it should be a piece of cake  8)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 09:02:22 am by leapyrtwins »

grega

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 11:01:30 am »
Thanks Jan for the info on reason for your middle button problem.  Glad they gave you a little info on what the problem was; they can now be on the lookout for possibly problems in that area.  Hopefully, no pattern of problems will show.

(Yesterday, doc looked at the raised area around the baha-butment, and said he saw no problem w.r.t. interference with processor.  I'll get my white BP100 next Tues, so I've gotta get some colorful sharpies this weekend.)

Keep  ;D -ing!
greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 05:29:19 pm »
Thanks, Donnalynn  ;D

Grega -

glad things are healing well and you are moving in the right direction.

Happy Hearing!!!

Jan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 09:07:00 pm »

Picture of the screw that was removed from my head two days ago.  Other than a small shaved patch of hair behind my ear, it's the only souvenir I have.

It was one of the 4 or 6 holding the titanium plate from my AN surgery. 

Not the best picture, but gives you some idea of the size of the screw (next to a dime).

I was shocked that the screw is so tiny; when it was in my head and I could feel it with my fingertips, it felt huge.

Longest part of the "surgery" was waiting for my clothing so I could change out of my lovely, fashionable gown, robe, and socks and hit the parking lot to retrieve me car.

Actual procedure only took about 10 minutes from start to finish.  I have one stitch under the skin and a steri-strip on top of the skin.  No pain meds necessary; could have probably used a Tylenol later in the day, but really only had a little discomfort, so I refrained.

Return visit to doc in 2 weeks just to make sure everything is a-okay.  99.9% sure it will be.

Jan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 10:20:54 pm »
Did you ever find out 'why' this screw decided to pop out?

Actually I've known about a possible screw removal from my first followup visit after my BAHA implant; a couple of years now.

My BAHA site is in the same area where my AN was removed - right on top of it, really.  My doc told me that the head of one of the screws from the AN surgery was very close to the surface of my skin and that it might pop through at some point.  He said if it did, he'd just remove it with a screwdriver.  At the time he was talking about one of the screws that holds my bones together - I had retrosigmoid. 

Turns out that screw is fine, but this screw - one used to hold down my titanium plate - became an issue. 

While the screw never broke through the skin, and didn't routinely give me pain, from time to time I would scrape the arm of my sunglasses against it when I put them on.  This resulted in some discomfort and annoyance, so I finally decided I'd have my doc look at it and see if he could take it out.

He assured me he could.  He also assured me that there were other screws holding the plate and that removing this one wouldn't be an issue.  If you have a titanium plate, there are typically 4 or 6 screws holding it in place.  I didn't ask him, but I'd imagine that after 3 years there's also been some calcification in my skull that would also hold the plate - even if all screws were removed.  My BAHA implant only took 90 days to calcify into my skull.

Being behind my ear, the "problem" was something that was really hard for me to view - even with two mirrors - so I wasn't really sure what we were dealing with.  Going by feel, the screw covered by skin, was like a "lump" that felt much larger than it actually was. 

My doc likened it to the old pebble in your shoe that you could swear is a rock  :D

I don't think I'm the first person who's had this type of surgery.  It even had a name on my paperwork "Removal of left cranioplasty screw".

Lizard

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 09:02:31 am »
Wow that thing is tiny, thanks for satisfying my curiosity.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt