Author Topic: a Prayer Reqest for Fred  (Read 5131 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
a Prayer Reqest for Fred
« on: July 31, 2010, 05:24:37 am »
Odd request  … yesterday coming home from town a couple deer ran across the road in front of me … maybe a quarter mile off … I was going around our 4 lane  bypass that has a 65 mph speed limit and was going about 60  …

I slowed down expecting more deer and after passing where they cut across I started speeding back up … all the sudden a Golden Lab  came popping out of grass along side of road and before I could stop I hit him …not with tires or hard bumper but with the black plastic air deflector that is mounted on the under side of my front bumper … he rolled out from behind the truck … I pulled off on shoulder and backed up and a car stopped …

The dog was laying on his side motionless … but breathing heavily … had a couple spots of road rash on shoulders and one hip and about a quarter inch was gone off the tip of one ear … the man that stopped helped me get him in the front of my truck … I leaned the seat down to sleep position and strapped him in with the seat belt and used the strap of my daughters purse to make a muzzle on him in case he woke up and wanted to bite me … called my vet on my cell and headed back to town to the clinic …

Took the vet about 15 minutes to get there … I wasn’t far from it and got there in about 5 …long 10 minute wait …we get the dog in office and he checks him out … heart rate and BP good …respiration had returned to normal …temperature normal … he x-rayed his head and chest and nothing is broken no areas that look like bleeding  … vet aged him at about 5 month old … just a big pup really …and he also has recently had his nails trimmed and had  a bath in good smelling shampoo but has no collar  … this is someone’s dog … we just have to find them …vet figures he will be fine just in shock …

The vet took him home with him for the weekend … all this time before we left from clinic the dog is laying there snoring a bit and never waking up … so as of right now I have a dog dubbed Fred laying at the vets house and at 8:00 last night still had not woken up … vet hook a IV in him to keep him hydrated … if he wakes up and we can find the owners the vet will pass the bill to them … if not I inherit a dog I honest to God don’t need … vet said he would only charge me the $80 for x-rays and treatment is on the clinic … even told me I could put that on our farm account which at the moment is zero … pay it off over several months

I want this dog to live … he is a beautiful young dog … please keep Fred in your thoughts and help me get two things answered … pray that Fred lives and that I can locate owners … going to put it on the radio pet finder announcements and put some fliers at stores …

Bo saw the plastic deflector was pulled loose in the middle and asked what I had done … I just told him I had hit a dog … haven’t let him on that if owners can’t be found I am bringing him home … vet said he could keep him about a week … then he would have to go to pound because he already has more dogs than he is suppose to at the clinic and home … our pound has a 5 day keep period then it is curtains …can’t let that happen …

if Fred comes here the girls will fall in love with him and look at Bo with their big brown eyes and we will have a new dog that we don’t need with the 3  we already have … if he comes home with me next week and if we find no owners I would like to find him a home that isn’t mine …even though as I was petting him I was thinking I love this animal and if we can’t find him a home I wouldn’t mind having him …

So please say a few prayers for Fred  J
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

sues1953

Re: a Prayer Reqest for Fred
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 08:46:35 am »
You certainly are a good samaritian.  I will pray for Fred, and that the owners come forward. I am sure they are going crazy looking for that puppy.

Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 10:12:52 am »
Prayers coming for Fred and for you!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 10:51:13 am »
What a traumatizing ordeal for you! Fred wasn’t so lucky in one respect, but he was lucky to have survived so far, and that someone with such a big heart is there for him.
We are sending you and Fred our prayers.

Scarlett and Rich
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

Lizard

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 07:33:12 pm »
oh a yellow male, love him and I've never even met him...hope he pulls through and you find the owners.  I could never let the vet bring him to the pound.  On facebook I'm part of a life is labs site (a labbie lover myself as you may already know we put our chocolate female down at the beginning of June, but have since adopted a new dog)  and they will help to find him a new home or I can get in touch with life is labs rescue and get him put up for adoption. You're in the south and that is where most of the dogs are rescued from.  Shoot me a PM if you need to find him a home and I will help...
Well it was too bad he was hit, but at least it was by a person as loving as you.
Let me know how this works out and "Fred" will be in my prayers,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Soundy

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 09:24:49 pm »
talked to vet around noon and Fred's up and about and has been since around midnight ... when he did wake up he was confused and growling but after sniffing around this morning , he has decided everyone is his best friend and should play with him ...he's eating and going to bathroom with no problem

so Fred is doing good ... now just wish me luck finding his owner or a new home ...

so far no luck with finding his owners but hoping with store fliers and radio we will find them ...

I can't pay for my medicine and some people in my position would have left him laying on the road ... but I couldn't ... and I won't let him go to pound if owners aren't located ... and the vet is a good guy and isn't gonna soak me with a big bill ...

you know with 40 chickens , 3 dogs , 4 cats (plus strays)...I try to trick myself into having only 4 cats that are ours seen though we have counted 7 feral cats in yard eating with the ones we claim  ;D ..., 1 goose , 50 cows , 1 bull , 25 calves , 2 donkeys (one on purpose and one that is a rescue ) , 1 mule that is 44 and 3 guineas fowl (whew  :o ) anyway ... I figure with all the farm inmates that one dog more won't take up much more room  :D ...

If we can't find his home I may get with you to get him adopted ... would love him to bits but have about all (sometimes about more ) than we can handle ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

Lizard

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 09:13:21 am »
Its great to hear he's progressing...Wow you do have quite the farm!  And yes in the grand scheme of things what is one more?  Anyway, if you decide to find him a home let me know so I can make some phone calls.

Liz
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 11:58:03 pm »
Did you run an add or article in the paper?  Those are usually such awesome dogs, I would think he would be adopted.

What you did is AWESOME!   

Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Soundy

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 05:57:18 am »
Did you run an add or article in the paper?  Those are usually such awesome dogs, I would think he would be adopted.

What you did is AWESOME!   

Denise

have had anouncement on our local radio pet finder service and on radilo community anounements on theri web site ... can't get ad in paper til today ... and it won't run until Thursday (tiny one horse town) may wait to turn it in until the noon wednesday deadline to get in in the paper ... my luck is that I would turn it in today and give them my $8 and then come home and see someone called and said Fred was their dog and his name was Earl or something ... I am sure now that we are past weekend owner will will be located ... gonna run by clinic and snap a picture and stick up ...

also have thought about boarding him there for the week before bringing him home ... vet charges $5 a day which is more than it would cost to bring him home but don't want him and my girls to meet unless he is going to come here for a while ... they love animals and would not want to return him ... vet went on and gave him rabies and distemper shot ... all this will be passed on to owner if found ...

wish me luck
Translab July 2 ,2007

Lizard

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 06:35:04 pm »
I wouldn't bring him home unless you were planning to keep him...we acquired out yellow female that way.  The people were just going to leave her at the vet and when that happens they usually don't last too long.  i couldn't let them do that to her.  If I could afford another dog...or deal with more hair I'd fly him up here for myself...but that's another chapter I suppose.  I can't wait to become the crazy old family with all the dogs  ;)

Again let me know if I can help,
Liz

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Soundy

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 11:24:38 am »
Well Fred saga is over ... vet called a little bit ago and told me that someone called the pound to see if he had been picked up and they told them that they thought the vet had him by description I gave the pound in case anyone came looking ... so Fred who is really Jud is back home ... he dug under chain link fence and escaped into the woods to chase deer , rabbits and GMC Sierras ... glad he is no longer in doggy hospital and that he is not my responsibility anymore ...

we had to form up and pour a concrete strip between mom's gate posts to keep her dog in the  yard  ... crazy thing would dig under at gate and no where else ... hope they do some reworking of fence so Fred/Jud doesn't make another run for it ... may not be so lucky next time
Translab July 2 ,2007

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 11:34:01 am »
Glad you were in the right place at the right time for Fred/Jud, even though it provided you w/some unnecessary drama!  You have earned some stars in your crown, Soundy.  The good that you do comes back to you eventually.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 04:23:44 pm »
Soundy ~

I was on an anniversary getaway weekend with my wife and just saw your saga of Fred/Jud the Labrador Retriever pup you accidentally nicked with your truck and took great care to have checked out by your vet and then tried to find the dog's owner.  I'm pleased to learn Fred/Jud was finally reunited with his owner and is doing just fine.  You showed both compassion and concern for a helpless animal.  By doing this, you also showed your character - and it is admirable.  Well done.

Jim     
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

opp2

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 05:03:25 pm »
Aye you did. You know Soundy, my Dad's first dog many many moons ago was named Jud. After he married my Mom and had my youngest brother, they raised horses. Then one day the decided to get another dog. A yellow lab. His name was Jud too. Your story gave me chills.

My Dad just celebrated his 69th birthday. They raise Chocolate Labs now but there is a photo of both Jud's in honorable places in their home.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Lizard

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 07:22:36 am »
Oh yay, so happy he was reunited with his family!  Love stories with a happy ending  :)
Liz

-Franklin D. Roosevelt