Author Topic: Neurostimulation for Occipital Headaches  (Read 22623 times)

staypoz

Re: Neurostimulation for Occipital Headaches
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2010, 06:47:37 am »
Botox didn't work for me, but as we all know, not everything work for everyone. 

On Friday, I had a long appointment with my doctor and the company rep to discuss the device and have decided to go ahead with trying it out.  I was also able to talk at length to another patient who had the device implanted a few months ago.  She also had brain surgery (not an AN), suffered debilitating headaches, and has found some significant relief since having the device implanted.  She was in the office at the same time, so I got to see how it works on a real human being.  Apparently, it may take up to two months to get all the insurance approvals (a psych consult is required by most insurers).  They will do a test first to see if it really works, which should take about a week, and if it looks promising, move forward with a permanent implant. 

I'll keep posting as I go down this road. 

staypoz   

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2010, 10:13:59 am »
Staypoz--since you don't have a sig line, could you tell us when your surgery was, how long after your surgery did your headaches kick in and the size of your AN and surgical approach? Also did you have headaches or migraines pre-op?  Might help some folks compare their issues with yours.

Best of luck to you.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

staypoz

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2010, 11:14:47 am »
Happy to!  I had retrosigmoid (sub-occipital) and then a CSF leak repair (the leak was from my ear) at Johns Hopkins.  To tell you the truth, I don't even remember how small the tumor was, but it was very small.  I began to experience headaches about two weeks after my surgery and although they have gotten better -- less intense and with less frequency -- in the six years since my surgery, recently there has been an unexplained uptick in both.  It was at that point that I decided to seriously pursue the neurostimulation option.  In the past six years, I have tried:  accupuncture, nerve blocks, hypnotherapy, botox, physical therapy, massage therapy, etc., and various meds, and like most of the rest of us, have gotten various diagnoses.   I was the one who found Dr. Ducic, and after meeting with him, decided against surgery.  I had no headaches pre-op except the occasional garden-variety tension headache.  I should also say that 8 months post-AN surgery, I had to have another, unrrelated surgery that required my being positioned in yet another unnatural pose which I'm sure exacerbated the head pain.  I also have an underlying medical condition that make it tricky for me to take some meds, and even the most benign ones can cause me a problem if taken over a long period of time.

The neurostimulation may not work -- that's why they do a test run -- and it's not intended to be a cure.   But it may take away some of the pain, or at least get me to the point I hear some sufferers finally get to, and that is NO pain!! It IS off-label and as has been mentioned before, you're not supposed to get an MRI with one. 

staypoz

Mei Mei

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2010, 01:11:48 pm »
If you're guts telling you that this will take you away from pain, go for it.   I hate to hear of people in pain as we all are.   Good luck with it and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.   When are you doing it?

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

brp51d

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2010, 01:27:20 pm »
I have held off on writing until I had the surgical stapes and sutures removed. I am now three weeks past the surgery implanting the nuero stimulator. at THIS STAGE,
i AM HIGLY ENCOURAGED. aS YOU MAY KNOW FROM MY PREVIOUS POSTS, THE TRIAL DEVICE WENT VERY WELL FOR ME. iNITIALLY, THE PERMANENT DEVICE DID NOT WORK WELL FOR ME. hOWEVER, AS OF FIVE DAYS AGO i HAVE BEGUN TO EXPERIENCE A SIGNIFICANT REDUCTION IN THE SEVERITY AND FREQUENCY OF The bad headaches. [forgive me for the caps-hit button by mistake and I dont have time to retype this]. I have now gone 5 days without a crushing early am headache. I tried to get Botox by thre way. After several appeals, my insurance company approved it- then wrote me a letter saying they approved the treatment but would not pay for the medicine. If you understand that, please explain it to me. Anyway, as my doctor says, the neurostimulator is not a cure. Howver, I am now of the opinion that it is going to result in a siginificant imprtovement in the quality of my post AN lofe. The surgery was unpleasant. The first several days were painful but nowhere near as bad as the headaches. If you decide to go this route., be patient. Maximum results for headache relief, according to my doctor is 3 to 6 monthe. For me, onset of relief took a little over 2 weeks. Let me know if you have any questions.

brp51d

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2010, 01:30:59 pm »
By the way, anyone considering this procedure should speak to your surgeon. An MRI of the headis still possible with some special precautions.

staypoz

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2010, 08:27:28 am »
brp51d,
Good to hear from you and that you've found some relief!!!

I've been told that the first several months you may need to come in for adjustments to the program.  Is that your understanding/expectation also? 

staypoz 

brp51d

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2010, 09:59:22 am »
yes, the company reps told me that. My device is made by Medtronics and the support has been excellent.