Author Topic: Neurostimulation for Occipital Headaches  (Read 22622 times)

staypoz

Re: Neurostimulation for Occipital Headaches
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 02:52:00 pm »
brp51d,

I know that neurostimulation has been around a long time for back pain, but its use is still fairly new for head pain.  My doctor didn't think I would have any problems getting my insurance company to pay for it, but I wondered if you have encountered any problems with your insurer?

staypoz

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 03:11:28 pm »
Just throwing this in as a point of information and for what it's worth: My wife suffers from spine-related leg pains and the doctors said more surgery wouldn't help.  She went through the nerve blocks and other therapies and the pain, often near-debilitating, persisted.  She flatly refused to take narcotic medicines because, as she put it, "I don't want to spend my life in a fog".  I agreed. 

Her pain management doctor suggested an implanted nurostimulator to counteract the leg pain, which was nerve-related.   She opted for the device.  It was surgically installed by the pain management doctor in the hospital, as an outpatient.  She was given a programmer that she uses to adjust the stimulation as needed.  The battery is supposed to last about 2 years, then a new stimulator will have to be implanted (just above the buttocks) .  Although the operation is relatively minor she was given an anesthetic and was unconscious during the 1 hour surgery.  The stimulator works well and her pain has been reduced approximately 70%, for which she is grateful.  The MedTronics rep was extremely helpful and solicitous and is always available via her cell phone.  Medicare and Blue Cross paid for the device and the surgery, which was billed at approximately $30,000. total although Medicare and BC paid about 25% of that.

Here is a link to the Medtronic web page and a photo of the 'Patient Programmer' that she uses to adjust the device's nerve stimulation.  http://www.medtronic.com/your-health/chronic-back-and-leg-pain/device/neurostimulators/our-neurostimulators-for-pain/mystim-programmer/index.htm

Of course, I have no idea whether this device (or one like it) will be efficacious in reducing headache pain, but the device has worked well for my wife, so far.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mei Mei

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2010, 06:41:56 pm »
Thank you for this story, Jim.  Like the DVD the doctor gave me, this link says that the device is intended for trunk and leg pain and not targeted for our headaches:

http://www.medtronic.com/your-health/chronic-back-and-leg-pain/device/neurostimulators/questions-answers/index.htm

I'm wondering if it should be used for our occpipital headaches, if the supplier says upfront that it is not intended for this.

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

brp51d

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2010, 08:15:29 am »
My insurance company approved the procedure within about three weeks. I believe siutability is determined based on various factors includind attempts to treat with medication.Although, these devices have been used promarily for back pain, experimentation to use neurostimulators for severe headache pain [usually migrain, cluster or similar resulting from trauma or surgery] for about six years. The sample of cases is still comparatively small buut the success rate is at about 70%.

brp51d

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2010, 08:19:40 am »
I read the medtronics link. The ns implanted to treat back pain will not help the other listed sources of pain. The device used to treat headache pain is implanted in the chest with leeds running to the occipital nerves, not the spine or nerves connected to the spine. The very helpful medtronics rep explained all of this to me in detail.

staypoz

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2010, 09:07:48 am »
Thanks for all the helpful information, brp51d.  I have read most of the studies and to the extent I can understand them, am encouraged that another option may be available to those of us with with post-op headaches.  I hope the "permanent" implant is as successful as the trial one was.  Keep us posted.

staypoz 

Mei Mei

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2010, 06:52:17 pm »
Dear brp51d,
I also am encouraged by your results.   I had a very upsetting headache last night and am having coincidentally an appointment with my neurologist this Thursday.   I wanted to ask you if your headaches are constant and occur on a daily and nightly basis.   Mine usually occur at night and sometimes in the daytime.   I don't know if this is enough to warrant having a Neurostimulator implanted.   I've already had several nerve blocks that do nothing to prevent the headaches and have yet to find someone to give me Botox so don't know if that will work for me.

How do you know it is right for you?   Is it continuous pain?

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2010, 08:16:13 pm »
Interesting thread.

I like the idea of the stimulus but not for having surgery again. The fact that its an implant - would that affect having future MRI's.

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2010, 10:16:33 pm »
Good question, Laz.

I read the info on the link, but it didn't say what the stimulus is made out of.

If it's titanium, like the BAHA implant, MRIs aren't an issue.  But if it's made out of something else, they may be.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

staypoz

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2010, 01:23:10 pm »
From everything I have read, MRIs are out if you have one of these implants.

staypoz

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2010, 07:29:47 pm »
I'd think really hard about this procedure if MRI's are out of the question.

Whilst I'm dreading my next MRI (not sure on what is still there) it is still the best measurement tool we have.

A real dilemna this one.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

staypoz

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2010, 10:46:17 am »
brp51d,
Have you had the permanent implant done yet?  How are things going?  On Friday, I am meeting with my doc and the company representative to talk about the procedure and look at the device.  If you are around, please let us know how you are progressing and I'll post after my appointment on Friday. 

staypoz 

dally1932

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2010, 04:10:55 pm »
I considered the neuromodular system about 16 months ago. This was the 4th pain managemnt doctor I had been to in 7 years. He gave me two series of 4 nerve block injections over a two week period and indicated if the last series didn't work he wanted me to try this system which threaded several wires from my lower back up through my spinal column with leeds into my cervical vertbrae. The power pack would be implanted above my waist with a charger that I would place over it to charge the battery. When I questioned them intensley about this procedure they had me contact a patient advocate who worked for the company producing the system. I asked her what the track record was for post operative AN pain. She told me that it wasn't FDA approved for head pain however was approved for trunk and limb pain. I weighed the possible side effects in the phamplet and DVD and decided to hold off until there was more of a track record. It may work, I just wasn't prepared to go through what I felt would be invasive surgery, at least yet. Good luck in overcoming your pain.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 04:19:34 pm by dally1932 »
Left AN Tumor 6/02/02 1.4 X 1.8

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2010, 02:23:18 pm »
I saw a news article on one of these stimulators used for migraine on CNN or ABC or something a few years ago and the woman, who had had migraines all her life, had a great deal of relief. Personally, I would not go to this length without trying Botox first--and I am not talking about Botox once or twice, but at least three to 4 times of at least a dozen to 16 injections.  I had my third round, three months apart-- about a month ago and I have not been this headache-free since I woke up from surgery 7 1/2 years ago.  I seem to even have less headaches than I did BEFORE surgery.  Not to say that I am entirely headache-free.  I still get an occasional occipital headache which I can stop in a few hours with 2 Fioricet, an ice pack, and rest. I cannot take NSAIDS like ibuprophen or aleve at all any more due to tummy issues, hence the Fioricet, which is Tylenol with a mild dose of valium-like stuff in it.  Nothing like the rolling-around-crying holding my head and wanting to DIE ones I was getting before, and I had about a hundred or so of those in the past 7 1/2 years.  I spent tens of thousands of $ on expensive meds--injectable Imitrex, Topamax, even with insurance.

The funny thing is that Botox is what my neurologist mentioned to me on my second visit to him, but my insurance co refused to pay for it.  It was $1200 a visit. But that was almost 8 years ago and with new information and studies some insurance cos. may have changed their tune.  When I got approved for disability, I got Medicare with it and as soon as I found out that Medicare would pay for it, I scheduled the injections.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I think that this treatment should be tried before you go planting weird things in your insides! I'm copying this post to the Botox thread as well.

Happy International Talk Like a Pirate Day to you wicked Wenches and swashbucklin' scallywags!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

cin605

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2010, 02:31:09 pm »
Good to know Medicare covers Botox.I will be using medicare come Dec
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old