Author Topic: What foods to eat to heal faster?  (Read 4329 times)

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
What foods to eat to heal faster?
« on: July 30, 2010, 07:29:36 am »
I'm told I'll be getting the Retrosigmoid for debulking cuz the demon is next to my brain stem. And then CK afterwards. The fear and worry is terrible.

To fight back. I'm looking at everything I can do.

I understand constipation is a big issue.

So I guess I'll be eating only oatmeal for 2 days before the slice and dice. Is this smart? Or would some other foods work better?

Just wondering what I should eat to heal faster?
I did Google this site up.
http://www.thedietchannel.com/Post-Surgical-Nutrition-Speed-Your-Healing-With-A-Good-Diet-and-Supplement-Plan.htm

But was wondering if any of the women can be more specific on foods to eat or what to eat post-op?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 07:43:00 am by Funnydream »
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

Mickey

Re: What foods to eat to heal faster?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 08:38:22 am »
Great idea! Smart thinking, good luck, Mickey

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 08:45:51 am »
Welcome, Funnydream .....

I can well understand the fear and worry ..... that is very normal with the diagnosis we had.  Re:  constipation ..... I never gave it a thought and had no difficulty on that score.  Just insist on a high fiber diet post-op ..... not sure about the effects of eating oatmeal pre-op, but it could not hurt (up until 12 hours before, that is).

Best thoughts and tell us a little bit more about when your surgery is and where (if you care to share that information).

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Brewers7

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 09:13:37 am »
A doctor told me recently that vitamin D is good for healing (just regular dosage). Wish I had known sooner.  Good luck.  FYI, my AN was very large and was on top of my brain stem.  I had a rough ride, but I am still kicking 1 1/2 year later.  Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 09:17:00 am »
Hi and Welcome!
I am also in Texas - just moved to Houston from the Panhandle - my brother lives in Southlake.  Please try to take a deep breath and know that everything will be all right!  It is certainly normal to experience the feelings that you are, but know that life does exists after AN surgery!

I, personally, ate whatever I wanted before surgery - especially the night before!  I did have trouble, but I think that was b/c I was so young and none of us even gave that a thought!  I think that since you are aware of it going in, you'll so fine.  I wouldn't worry about that unless you have had a history of problems in that area.

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 01:37:51 pm »
Chocolate.  Definitely chocolate.  Couldn't resist that  ;D

Seriously, if you are concerned about constipation you should start taking a stool softener post op.  At the time of my surgery, it was part of my doc's protocol - not to sound gross - but you don't want to "strain".  I was put on Colace (an OTC med) twice a day and wasn't able to leave the hospital until I had my first "movement".

I don't know what being a woman has to do with this, but I didn't have any diet restrictions either pre or post op.  I don't recall what I ate the night before my surgery, but I'm sure I just ate what I normally would have and it wasn't an issue.

Obviously you are told not to eat a certain number of hours before surgery, that has to do with anesthesia, and you should definitely follow this.  You don't want to mess with eating too close to having anesthesia, as it can cause MAJOR problems.

Jan
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 10:57:46 am by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 05:08:48 pm »
An anti-inflammatory diet would be a good bet.  It involves going mostly gluten-free and loading up on foods that fight inflammation like cherries (I buy Montmorency cherry concentrate and drink it in decaf green tea) and blueberries.  By all means avoid sugar and refined foods.  Tumeric is a good inflammation fighter, too--you can buy it in capsules at your health food store.  Do some research online.

Here's a thread anti-inflammatory eating that I started in the Headache Section:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=12515.0

Best of Luck!

Capt Deb

"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 12:31:53 pm »
Funnydream ~

I admire your determination to give yourself every possible advantage going into AN surgery.  Please understand that I'm not being cavalier about a pre-surgery diet.  You've received some interesting information from previous posters.  However, aside from the no-food-or-drink-after-midnight on the Big Day (surgery) I ate whatever I pleased.  Nothing 'special'.  My surgery went smoothly and post-op, after regaining my appetite, I went back to eating whatever I pleased, although always in moderation (my BMI is 21.5).  I had a splendid recovery.  My neurosurgeon, with decades of experience performing AN removal surgery, never mentioned anything about my diet, so I assumed it wasn't crucial.   

I'm not disputing the benefits of eating or avoiding certain foods (I never add salt or sugar to anything I eat) just mentioning that, like others, I never adhered to a 'special diet' related to my surgery and it didn't seem to have any negative effects.   I did experience constipation while hospitalized (5 days) although I had no distress with it.  Upon returning home, I took a few stool softening tablets and was back to 'regularity' within 72 hours.  It's amazing what being in familiar surroundings and eating real food (as opposed to hospital 'food') can do for one's colon health. 

I'm sure you'll do fine with the surgery and while I don't have any special foods to suggest that might speed up the healing process, I trust that you'll experience a rapid recovery.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

steph28

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 05:17:10 am »
Hi

I was never told about any diet to keep to, but after surgery when they asked me what sort of pain relief I wontted giving me the options I went with Codine and they told me then that constipation was codine best friend. At the time I was so concerned that I was going to be in pain if I didn't take a strong pain killer I didn't care.

Yes I had the problem, but I wasn't eating much to start of with so it didn't really bother me. Its only when I got home to my mum's and she started cooking me meals that I realised I had to take something to help me as I was still taking the codine at night. As soon as I stop taking the codine I didn't have any problems.

Steph

free2be

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 06:12:11 pm »
Following Cap Deb's comments, I would just eat healthy as much as possible. I am trying to do so ahead of my CK treatment just to be as healthy as I can so I'll have every advantage I can. I'm trying to stay away from white flour and sugar; eating lots of greens, low fat proteins, green tea, and taking supplements. It's how I'd like to be taking care of my body anyway; so, now is a good time.

As far as the constipation issue goes...Having dealt with that since childhood under good conditions, I can say that when I had a couple of different surgeries it was a bit of a problem. The anesthesia can slow down everything for a while. As already mentioned, asking for a stool softener post op is probably a good idea. It's easier to not let it become a problem then it is to reverse it later. I don't know that oatmeal ahead of time would prevent a problem afterward. But if you need oatmeal to keep things "normal" ahead of time or just want to eat healthy, it can't hurt.

Best to you,
Connie
Diagnosed Nov. 2008 Right AN 7 mm x 9 mm
Incremental MRIs enhancing mass
June 2010 1.4 cm x 0.9 cm extension into the CP angle
Pre-CK Stanford measurements 1.6 X 1.1 cm
9/29/10 - 10/1/10 CK completed with Dr Steven Chang and Soltys, Stanford.
6-month thru three year (8/13) follow ups MRI: stable