Author Topic: what are some questions i can ask my an surgon?  (Read 2847 times)

thisisajourney

what are some questions i can ask my an surgon?
« on: July 28, 2010, 04:22:25 pm »
I am four months post op and I go back to see my sergon in dec. my tumor was 4 cm. by 2.9 they did a subocctical and left 3 percent of the tumor. and who knows about radiation? I.E. pros and cons.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: what are some questions i can ask my an surgon?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 07:18:03 am »
Got this information from the main page of the ANA website.

http://www.anausa.org/questions_for_physician.shtml

Hope it helps.

Debulking through surgery and then using radiation to treat the rest of the tumor is common these days for large ANs.  Our own Jim Scott had his AN treated this way.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

suboo73

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 04:50:47 am »
Hi!

Wanted to stop by and say best wishes when you return to the surgeon.
Jan gave the list of questions, and i am sure they will help.

Many thoughts and prayers for continued healing.

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 07:49:33 am »
yes please let us know how your meeting with the surgeon goes...and remember if you don't like the answers find another Dr. and get a second opinion.
 :)
Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

thisisajourney

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 06:52:44 pm »
Got this information from the main page of the ANA website.

http://www.anausa.org/questions_for_physician.shtml

Hope it helps.

Debulking through surgery and then using radiation to treat the rest of the tumor is common these days for large ANs.  Our own Jim Scott had his AN treated this way.

Jan

Thank you, it does.

Oh, this darn tumor messed me all up.  I just cry. It is so hard cause my face is paralyzed and I have to walk with a walker.  I feel way to young for this.  I feel like a bawl baby. I'm not O.K.to go back to work.  This is so hard cause I was alright before the surgery and now, after, I'm worse.  Thank you for helping me

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 01:19:22 pm by Jim Scott »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 12:10:15 am »
Chin up! 

Try not to get too discouraged.  There are often setbacks after surgery - especially for an AN as large as yours was.

You are still in the early stages of recovery and hopefully things will get better over time.

Please feel free to lean on your fellow Forumites for support, advice, or just shoulders to cry on.

Don't lose faith,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 01:43:50 pm »
thisisajourney ~

Hi.  I'm so sorry you're forced to deal with these post-op complications, but, as Jan pointed out in her post(s), things usually improve over time so, although improvement never comes as quickly as we would prefer, you very likely won't always be this way.  We've recently seen AN patients posting accounts of major improvement many months (and even years) after their surgery.  These improvements often happen incrementally but every little bit of progress is welcomed.  Balance can usually be regained to a serviceable level, without the need of a walker, but it can take both time and effort (PT).   There are manifold approaches to intractable facial paralysis, from physical therapy to surgery, depending on your situation.  Again, many post-op AN patients have told us (via the forums) of significant improvement in their facial mobility following various forms of treatment.  However, sometimes, facial mobility is arrived at spontaneously but that is determined by a number of factors better left to a doctor to explain.  Of course, an intact ('live') facial nerve is necessary but even without it, facial improvements can be achieved.   Just ask our members.

As Jan mentioned, I underwent successful debulking surgery on a near-5 cm AN in 2006.  It was reduced to approximately 2.5 cm, then, 90 days later, as planned, I underwent FSR treatments to 'finish it off', as my doctor put it.  It worked.  I was extremely fortunate to have had superb medical care and suffered almost no complications from the surgery or the radiation, although I'm SSD (as I was prior to the surgery).  I'm always distressed to read of other AN patients with large tumors that are struggling with post-op complications, as you are, so I remain an active member of the ANA website forums in the hope of offering what little expertise I have and my account of a successful AN journey.  Your journey may be a lot bumpier but I'm confident you'll complete it successfully, too.  You are certainly not alone.  Your 'AN family' is here to inform and support you so please don't allow discouragement to cloud your outlook. and remember, you won't always be the way you are, today.  Things do get better, I promise you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.