Author Topic: Nice site. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride...  (Read 1956 times)

WaterOne

Nice site. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride...
« on: July 24, 2010, 02:14:36 am »
  That is, I cannot remedy my situation and I am very fearful.
Tolerance of a physical malady likely delayed my diagnosis. Fell down stairs a decade ago, have grown to love my spinal fusions. 
(Work/Hobby: Systems Software Design/Analysis) 9 months ago: I can't jump and lunge with my dog while training else I nearly fall. Nor hear traffic until it is absolutely upon me. Glad I have a fierce canine as anyone approaching with stealth behind me has additional advantage.

Blonde has ever meant dumb for me yet some of my cognitive process is degrading, physical proprioception askew. Bummed out.

MD (ENT) confirmed my AN, he wishes for diagnostics (Brain MRI) $7,800.00 priced locally.  I am without formal insurance, fortunate to be in good health despite the fall and surgeries.

Question: What is "Slow" growth of these over-growing Schwann's?
Given the symptoms and time frame, does anyone have a rough idea? If its 2 years to 12mm, or relative to location?

Truly grateful for your thought, comment, opinion.

Cheers,
Melissa

Northern California Native (there aren't many of us)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Nice site. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 04:28:28 am »
Welcome to the forum Melissa!! Sorry to hear about your insurance woes...Too often we hear about that on here! I am kind of curious as to how your doctor confirmed your AN without an MRI?  There are a lot of symptoms that mimic AN's, and I know that there are certain tests that can be done that may indicate an AN, but to outright confirming one before an MRI? As far as growth rates, they vary, greatly.  So it's hard to put an absolute number on that.  Only those in the "Watch and Wait" phase know truly their own growth rates (if any). As far as mine, I have no idea when it even started growing, but by surgery time was 8mm.  I hope you find some way of getting that MRI soon so you'll know for sure what you do have, and if so how big.  Good luck and keep us updated!

PS: I was born in Northern California, Santa Rosa! :) But I moved out when I was little so no longer a "Native!"
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 08:01:08 am »
Melissa,

Jaylogs question is a good one. Just how confirmed can a brain tumor without pictures?

Without knowing where the tumor is, the growth rates don't really matter all that much. If the tumor is actually meningioma that started below the brain near the brainstem, it may have been with you most of your life and only in the last couple of years begun to affect the acoustic nerve. That is what happened to me.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this, but fortunately you have found a place with a lot of supportive people.

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

opp2

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 09:09:11 am »
I live in Southern Ontario and I went to Tonawanda to Seton for an MRI. My MRI cost me $979 USD for head and cspine, with and without contrast. A flight from CA to Buffalo, a room and a rental car should be yours four about $1000 all in. Far less than $7000++ but still a hurdle if one isn't financially prepared. I believe they were charging about $357 + contrast for just the head.

All the best.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 01:13:53 pm »
Hello and welcome, Melissa ~

I'm sorry you have to deal with myriad physical maladies.  My wife also has multiple spinal fusions and accompanying physical limitations but pushes though the pain and deficits to lead a relatively active life.  I admire her, you and anyone, AN patients definitely included, that can surmount these kinds of physical challenges.  That stated, your fears regarding an acoustic neuroma diagnosis are not unreasonable.  However, as previously posters have wondered, how can a doctor offer a precise diagnosis of an acoustic neuroma (or any skull-based tumor) without MRI imaging?   Granted, being without medical insurance coverage is problematic, to put it in the best possible terms.  However, if you are without medical coverage now and cannot afford an MRI, obviously, you could not afford AN removal surgery that can easily cost $100,000. Irradiation treatments are equally expensive, but without the hospital stay, less so.  Frankly, I think that $7,800. price tag for an MRI is exorbitant.  My MRI scans (I've had 6) cost about half that, although my medical insurance covers all but 10% of the cost.  I pay the balance in monthly increments, which the hospital gladly accepts, without question.   

To answer your question: the growth rate for ANs can be anywhere from zero to exponential.  Yes, in an 'active' growth stage, 2 mm per year is typical but that can suddenly accelerate (no one knows why) and quickly double in less than a year.  Many AN surgical patients are diagnosed with a tumor that is found to be much larger once exposed and removed.  Mine was measured at 4.5 cm at the time of my diagnosis but when the neurosurgeon debulked it, he said that it was approximately 5 cm.  The salient point when discussing AN growth is that not only the growth rate but the location of the tumor is critical in both how and when it is addressed.  If your AN diagnose is accurate than the tumor needs to be monitored via an annual MRI scan.  I know this is not good news for you - but it is a reality.  MRI monitoring is the only realistic manner of knowing whether the tumor has grown and if so, by how much, thus determining the growth rate and allowing you and your doctor to plan a schedule for addressing the tumor, be it with surgery or radiation.

The cold, hard fact is that, although acoustic neuromas are benign, they cannot be indefinitely ignored.  As my usually avuncular neurosurgeon put it to me when I asked what would happen if we didn't do anything at all: "this thing can kill you".  We scheduled debulking surgery for the following week.

I have no idea where your AN is in terms of growth but although you're without medical insurance, considering your diagnosis and the symptoms you're experiencing, I would advise you to seek alternative sources of financial help so that you can, at the least, obtain an MRI scan (and future scans to monitor the tumor) and, possibly, radiation and/or surgery to remove the AN or, at least, halt it's growth. 

I've posted a link to the United Way '211' website that, by typing in your Zip Code, will give you information about possible financial help with your medical bills and other useful information.   I hope this post and the information therein will be a bit helpful to you, and I sincerely wish you better days.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.