Author Topic: Military with AN  (Read 1162 times)

sbrn

Military with AN
« on: July 22, 2010, 04:55:41 pm »
Looking for advice from anyone diagnosed with AN who is currently active duty military.  My husband is in the Air Force just two years away from retirement, and we're trying to figure out how this is going to impact him.  His hearing loss started back in 1999, was evaluated by military docs, and chalked up to loud music and hunting.  The information we've found online points to MEB being necessary once he has surgery.  On top of that Try To Get Care (Tricare) is adding to the difficulty of navigating all of this. 
Husband diagnosed 7/10 with 1.2 x 1.1cm AN
Translab 26 Oct 10
Baptist medical center Nashville TN

OTO

Re: Military with AN
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 06:50:10 pm »
SBRN
Take a look in the Insurance category of the forum.  There is a discussion string amongst Active and Retired Military.  It has TRICARE in the title of the discussion.   If any of the members are Active duty, maybe they are willing to discuss their circumstances via Personal Msg.   I do remember a post by Green Giant over 12-18 mos ago.  He was Active duty Army.   He posted once or twice, but not after his surgery.

With all the hearing loss in the service, I can't believe that they would board people out of service, but I guess they do. 

Successful AN surgery requires specialized and experienced neurosurgeon and neuro-otologyist so don't let them send you to any ole surgeon.   By successful, I mean minimize the side-effects.

Good luck.  OTO