Author Topic: Question for Facial Paralysis Sufferers and getting CPR Certification  (Read 6142 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

I am a registered nurse and just got offered a job today part-time. This is a huge step for me after all that I've been through and feel like I just hurdled a HUGE obstacle. ONE PROBLEM..........I have to update my CPR certification and I just got off of the phone with the guy who is doing the class. I told him that I had brain surgery/stroke and that I would most likely need to use bag and mask for full ventilation of the mannequin. (ambu bag). He said for me to pass the class I HAVE to do it without that. Any suggestions from you nurses or other healthcare providers with facial weakness as to how I am going to form a good seal on this mannequin................I call them dummies............to make the chest rise? I am nervous because if I can't do it then my job offer is gone as all nurses have to have a current CPR card.
Angie

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
I think you will be able to do it. Practice on your husband.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Cheryl R

Angie,    I was let to get by without having to do the ventilation part.    Thru the last two BCLS  I did.     Is there anyone higher up you can talk to?                Anymore aren't they more concerned about doing the chest compressions than the the ventilations now adays?              I've heard that somewhere.                 The paramedics from our hospital did the classes and they well knew what problems I had.                                  Good luck with this.       Would you be ain a work situitation where would likely be someone else around?                                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

arkansasfarmgirl

I think you will be able to do it. Practice on your husband.

Sara

ROFL ;D

CROOKEDSMILE

Sara, Funny you said that my husband said the same thing. Although they share the same name (dummy...just kidding) the dummy's face is much stiffer than my husband's so it would be hard to compare! And if I blew too much air in Hunter then I would have to deal with the consequences as too much air in the tummy would have to go somewhere!
Sara, thanks for the email. Glad I could give you a great laugh at my expense. I have edited my post! You are too crazy. We MUST meet up someday. Where in the world do you live?
Angie
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 03:06:05 pm by CROOKEDSMILE »

moe

Angie,
Congrats on your part time job offer! That is a great feat.
I do home health part time, which suits me great.
As far as the CPR, the guy IMO doesn't know what he's talking about!  Talk to his boss person.....Shouldn't be a problem.
Sometimes better to just not say anything and then show up.
He probably envisions some half paralyzed, drooling woman trying to do mouth ventilation. The terms Brain Surgery and STROKE bring up all sorts of images. :o

Good luck with your new job.What will you be doing?
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Hi Angie, I am your neighbor to the north in mid-Missouri. Wish you were going to Chicago . . . I'm really looking forward to that trip. But maybe we can hook up in Branson sometime.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

nancyann

• carpe diem
Hi Angie:  CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW JOB ! ! 
I'm also a nurse & when I returned to work I had my PCP write a note stating I am unable to perform CPR due to facial paralysis & sublux L4-L5.
I do not get CPR certified - since this is a disability, there is no problem.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

elderbirds

Re: Question for Facial Paralysis Sufferers and getting CPR Certification
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 09:08:35 pm »
Hi Angie,
I am a nurse practitioner and I recertified four months after surgery and facial paralysis.  they didn't say anything to me.  as long as the instructors knew that I knew what I was doing, (right positioning, right rescue breath count etc) they passed me with no questions asked.  Chances are if you are working in a health care setting you will either have an ambu bag or face mask available.  don't sweat it!  Good luck with the new job.
hope

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 02:28:06 pm »
Problem solved. Went to internet for CPR information and found a site that offered online CPR certification...BLS and it is accepted in all 50 states~ Took the online course and exam in less than an hour, printed out my CPR card and now I'm good to go! No blowing on a mannequin..........and no being bored to death for a 4 hour course.
Angie

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 03:19:49 am »
Angie: When I do AR with my mouth I put the bad side towards the nose and if unable to seal properly I use my hand pinching the nose to help seal the "hole" of my mouth.....works for me on "the dummies"
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 02:42:12 pm »
Hi Angie:  I am very lucky in that my doctor wrote a note excusing me from CPR - the hospital had to accept it.
Good luck,  always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis