Author Topic: Wound site bump?  (Read 2526 times)

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
Wound site bump?
« on: July 12, 2010, 09:46:17 pm »
I everyone, I have another question, I know I'm full of questions lately.  I guess it's just the post surgery jitters getting the best of me.
Anyways, I noticed the other day that behind my ear where the surgery was, it feels swollen or like a bump.  I had the retrosigmoid surgery in April and I just don't remember feeling the bump before.  My husband says he never had felt it so he can't really help.  It doesn't look swollen or really hurt at all.  I'm hoping it's just a healing process or maybe where the plate is.
Has anyone else experienced this or had this surgery that might be able to help?  I would just like to know that I'm not crazy and that's it's nothing to worry about.  My next appt with the ENT is July 21st. 
Thanks,
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

steph28

Re: Wound site bump?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 01:20:03 am »
Hi

I dint know how much help I can be, but I had surgery in December and like you behind my ear is not "normal". As you know its not the most easiest of places to see and feeling it can make it feel bigger then it is, but when I saw my surgeon last month I asked the question and was told that it was all normal and that there is nothing to worry about. I would ask the question when you go next week, but I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Steph
x

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 01:25:49 pm »
Hi, Susan ~

Like you, I underwent retrosigmoid approach surgery and yes, I have a 'bump' near the incision area, although it isn't noticeable.  I should have but never thought to ask my neurosurgeon about it because I just assumed it's from the surgery and, frankly, since it isn't noticeable or painful, I consider it unimportant.  I suggest you ask your doctor about it and don't settle for a brush-off 'answer'.  Then, tell us what he said.  Thanks. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 01:46:46 pm »
Susan,
I also had retro and do have a bump behind my ear, doesn't bother me either.  If its painful I would have worried, but after all the "activity" that went on in that area I'm not too worried about it.  The area around my incision for my CSF leak surgery is even weirded because there's not a lot of hair  and it gets in the way of my sunglasses...I've learned to deal with it.  The last thing I can say is if you are freaked out about it, call your Dr.  what do you have to lose?

Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

satman

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 06:35:08 am »
I everyone, I have another question, I know I'm full of questions lately.  I guess it's just the post surgery jitters getting the best of me.
Anyways, I noticed the other day that behind my ear where the surgery was, it feels swollen or like a bump.  I had the retrosigmoid surgery in April and I just don't remember feeling the bump before.  My husband says he never had felt it so he can't really help.  It doesn't look swollen or really hurt at all.  I'm hoping it's just a healing process or maybe where the plate is.
Has anyone else experienced this or had this surgery that might be able to help?  I would just like to know that I'm not crazy and that's it's nothing to worry about.  My next appt with the ENT is July 21st. 
Thanks,
Susan

dont worry about it,i also feel mine behind my ear
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !