Author Topic: Wanting opinions on the BAHA  (Read 4791 times)

gms

Wanting opinions on the BAHA
« on: July 06, 2010, 01:00:31 pm »
I am considering getting a BAHA. Wanting to know how well these work. I have Single Sided Deafness for 6 years. Want some info on them.

Thanks,
GMS

Post. 2.5cm Translab 2004
St. Vincent's, LA
Dr. Brackman/Dr. Hitselberger

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Re: Wanting opinions on the BAHA
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 01:36:47 pm »
I had the surgery last week, but my processor is not attached and won't be for 3 months (protocol).  However, prior to surgery I tried a "demo" on a softband.  They let me keep it for a number of days and I wore it in various environments to get a feel for the difference.  I tried two different kinds (Cochlear BP100 and the new Oticon Ponto Pro).  For me the BP100 was most effective, but everyone is different.  They also told me that whatever improvement I heard would be increased by close to 20% with the "real thing" actually attached to my head.  See if you can borrow a demo for a few days.

~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 05:34:02 pm »
gms -

BAHAs rock!  I don't know how those who are SSD function without one.  As Dale said, try the demo.

I've had my BAHA for a little over 2 years now and am still enamored with it!   ;D

IMO, the implant is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

If you want some more positive reinforcement, check out www.cochlearcommunity.com

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 02:57:14 am »
Like Jan said, "BAHA Rocks!"  I have bilateral BAHAs and love it!  ;D ;D
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

Sefra22

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 07:58:23 am »
I love mine too! When I am wearing it, I don't really notice, but when I am NOT wearing, I am very aware of how well it works! ;D

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

grega

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 07:00:40 am »
Hi all ..... I'll start out with a biggie  ;D cause my BAHA is on .... well, at least the demo is till I get mine fitted in mid-Aug (patient-audiologist vacation conflicts, doncha know - scheeesch!).   

Since AN surgery in 11/04 left me SSD, I've tried transear and cros aids, but the first was uncomfortable, and the second was not effective ..... for me.  So BAHA was the next thing to check into .... and glad I did!

Just got the BP100 snapped on Monday, after waiting the requisite 3 months for the titanium implant to osseointegrate (yep, that's right) with my skull.  I really think there are tiny tiny Swedish workers on the implant adding super glue every once in a while to make sure it properly bonds to my skull .... well, ya never know.

But the time passed quickly, as others have expressed, and the highlight of the waiting period was receiving a special care package from two fine forum posters, Jan & Lori.

The processor was programed with my needs in mind (usual situations that I'll encounter) by my audiologist, with the help of two Cochlear reps .... Megan and Rich from Mid-Atlantic area.  I'm delighted at the difference with it turned on.... it's truly working for me very well.  Using this demo till my own arrives, I'll have time to try it in diff situations to make sure it's the right model.  I could opt for the Intenso with more power, but the BP100's enhanced programming intrigued me from the start. 

Best to you with your decision-making!

Greg  ;D
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

hjb4971

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 12:05:30 am »
I believe that the best thing that can happen to a person with SSD is to get all of their questions answered on sites like this or better still in person by someone who has gone through the surgery and being fitted with the hearing aid.  The on-line surgery video and photos scared me to death.  They are so out of date and so much more invasive than what is done today. Cochlear needs to replace or remove them. My incision was much smaller, I had none of the (visible) skin removed around the incision removed, and most important to me had almost no hair shaved off.
OK, I absolutely admit to serious vanity issues with this surgery. I did not want people to be able to see my hearing aid! Candidly that's one bad issue with the new in-mouth units...they require a behind-the-ear visible hearing aid...yuch!   

Though I have relatively short hair, what is behind my ear hides my Ponto nicely, so most people have no idea I have a hearing aid that attaches to my skull.  However, I would not have known that from Otticon's brochures or the BP100 brochures. It was a young lady at my doctor's office who pulled back her hair and showed me her hearing aid...then answered my questions.  Because of that, I've been offering to counsel anyone considering the surgery and have done this for several people.  The only way I can explain why God let this happen to me is that by overcoming this disability I am able to help others do the same.  So I now consider it both a priviledge and obligation to advise and help others overcome losing their hearing like I did. 
SSD left side since February 2010. Baha surgery May, fitted with Ponto July.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 10:42:32 am »
My incision was much smaller, I had none of the (visible) skin removed around the incision removed, and most important to me had almost no hair shaved off.

I wear a Cochlear processor (BP100) and this was my surgical experience - small incision, no skin removed around the incision, and no hair shaved off.  I have no idea what the Cochlear video shows; I've never viewed it.

The BAHA implant surgery isn't scary or frightening, IMO.  It's a very short, outpatient procedure and I had mine with local anesthesia (absolutely no sedation); over 90% of my doc's patients have the surgery this way.

A good BAHA surgeon does remove the hair follicles from the skin flap, that the abutment is placed in the center of, because hair growing too close to the processor will compromise the sound. 

No skin is removed during the surgery, but it is necessary to remove some of the tissue from the BAHA site so that the processor sits properly on the titanium abutment.  If this isn't done, the processor will sit too close to the skull and sound will be compromised.

As I always say, the BAHA isn't for everyone, but it's a damn good choice.  The surgery is a piece of cake - compared to AN sugery -  and the site typically heals without any issues.  I'd do it again tomorrow; I'm enamored with my BAHA.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

hjb4971

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 09:32:23 am »
Had my PONTO reprogrammed yesterday by my audioigist and a rep from Otticon.  Increased my volume about 50% with no feedback. Because the Ponto is so new many of the audiologists still don't know all the tricks that can be used to program it.  Sat in a meeting this morning and someone whispered "in my left ear"....ha,ha, but I heard him.  This was a good sign.

Do I recommend a baha...heck, yes. You choose which brand of unit that works best for you, and they do improve your hearing on the deaf side.  Mine took another big up-tick yesterday with my adjustment, and I've had no surgical side-effects with the new small incision methodology. I'd never would have had the surgery if I had to do the big "flap" style surgery.  I'm sure glad that the surgeons have progressed and perfected better methodology!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:08:58 am by hjb4971 »
SSD left side since February 2010. Baha surgery May, fitted with Ponto July.

lori67

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 11:12:06 am »
I've had my BAHA for about 2 1/2 years now and I LOVE it.  The surgery was easy, I had no issues afterwards.  I chose to have general anesthesia because with 4 kids at home, I will take any opportunity for an uninterrupted hour or two of sleep, but I could have had local if I wanted to.   :D  I took it easy the night following the surgery and was back to my usual routine the next day. 

I only had a little bit of hair removed for the surgery and it was not noticable at all.  My hair is pretty short now and you can't even see the processor. 

As far as function, the BAHA has been great - not so great for noisy situations, but no hearing aids are.  It's nice to have people walking on my deaf side and to be able to hear what they're saying.  It's nice to be at the dinner table and be able to hear the conversation.  And sometimes it's nice to be able to turn it off so you can't hear the conversation   ;).  (4 kids...you get the picture!).

I wouldn't trade my BAHA for the world!  Well, maybe I'd trade my Divino for the BP100....  ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.