Author Topic: Questions about possible treatments  (Read 7295 times)

Lizard

Re: Questions about possible treatments
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 11:05:23 am »
IAny additional input from anyone on GK or surgery is appreciated. Any input on UVA Gamma? Or is it better to do it at UPMC (if that is the way I go)?

Hello and welcome to the forum, this is your best source of honest and free information from those who have been through this first hand.  I consulted with UPMC in 2008 because they did my father's radiation therapy in the late 80's.  They have been at the forfront of radiation therapy on the East Coast.  I ultimately chose surgery because as others have said it is a personal decision.  You have to go with your gut, and nobody can decide for you.  For many, including myself this decision was pretty tough.  Your AN is on the larger side for the recommended GK or CK route, so swelling after the treatment may cause additional concerns, then of course you can weigh those against the possible side affects/deficits and risks associated with surgery.
Please keep us posted throughout your journey, and I'm so happy you found us.  I wish I had the opportunity to learn from ANer's before hand, I believe it takes some of the fear and worry away.

Hang in there,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

annamaria

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 06:46:30 pm »
Thanks to all of you for your comments. I will assimilate ... obviously there are no black/white solutions.  I am a resident of NJ and this Wed. I am seeing/consulting N/NS/NO who are considered to be the best NJ has to offer: Dr. Landolfi & team at JFK. I'm still looking for eventaul out-of-state for procedures, but I need to have a 'base' in my own state ... any additional feedback, suggestions, input is appreciated...

AnnaMaria

Lizard

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 06:56:22 pm »
House Ear Institute in LA is a great place to send your MRI to with any questions or concerns...They are one of the best in the US and pretty much always willing to do a consult.
Again, good luck with your decision,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt