Author Topic: seeking feedback on baha  (Read 2282 times)

amysquinn

seeking feedback on baha
« on: May 12, 2006, 05:21:42 pm »
What do you think about baha's?  I want to know the good and the bad.  I am only 2 months out from my surgery.  When should I think about getting one.
Had a rt side, 2.8 x 2.5 cm AN removed on 3/13/06 by Dr. Jerry House & Dr. Troy Payner at St. Vincent Hospital in Indpls, IN.  Had a CSF leak a week later.  I am doing FINE: hearing is lost, face is back, headaches but not bad, getting my energy back.  I'm happy.

Battyp

Re: seeking feedback on baha
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 07:06:18 pm »
Hi Amy and welcome.

Joef is our resident BAHA expert.  I know there are a few others that have gotten them to. 

Wow I couldn't even see the computer 2 mos out! 

wanderer

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 08:02:24 pm »
I just got mine this week and I have no complaints.    My brain is still adjusting to it,  but the sound quality is good and all in all it's been a good experience.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 08:05:46 pm »
I'm blushing ....  ;) I had the baha surgery at the same time as the AN .. did not know you could do that until the week of my surgery .. it was a last min. choice... and glad I did it ! I would say the younger you are, the more you should get it. If you work in a office, your should get it.  If you like going out in a loud resturant .. you should get it ...

Look at the forum for answers to your questions ..
http://www.baha-users-support.com/cgi-bin/2bb/2bb.cgi

My BAHA, with stickers!
(wife made me take stickers off, said only kids have those.... I guess am a 41 year old kid  :) )

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 08:22:00 pm »

The Bad part of BAHA's  >:(

wind noise! ...know the sound of wind on a microphone .. thats it!!

No hats!!! .. its not really a big deal, most of the time when I'm outside.. fishing or working in the yard, I just dont have the BAHA in .. you dont want to get it dirty or wet anyway...this is more of a problem with kids that would be deaf without it, since we are only SSD so its ok ...

rain ...when I think its going to rain,  I carry a small pill container with one of those "do not eat" things for mositure so I can take off the BAHA and have something to put it in...

its not perfect !! .. the sound is "close" to human hearing .. it sounds a little like an AM radio at first , but you kinda get used to it .. but sounds I would miss before I can hear now!! I dont care what it sound like , I can hear it to complain about it !!!

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Obita

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 09:26:43 am »
Joe:

Thanks for the pic and helpful info on BAHA decision making process - I would imagine I would need a half head shave job again for the implant?

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Pembo

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 09:53:26 am »
I had my Baha surgery 15 months after my AN surgery but decided I needed a Baha after only 9 mo being SSD.  I have 3 kids and we couldn't talk in the car anymore when I was driving. (right AN).   The surgery was EASY. I had a lot of anxiety about it but it really was easy.

As for shaving your head, I only had a small piece shaved away and you couldn't even see it. The worst part was trying to get out all the gook they put on your head and around your implant out of my hair. Dawn dish detergent worked wonders.

The Baha is great. It is not a miracle cure but it makes things much easier. I can hear my kids in the car, I can follow group conversations. I know when people are talking to me on the "bad" side. Movies are once again in stereo.

I don't have a problem with wind noise, it might be all my hair that covers it though. My hairdresser has been awesome in working with me to find a cut that disguises my Baha. No one even knows it is there......

If you have any questions feel free to ask........
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006