Author Topic: advice on NYC visit?  (Read 2524 times)

grega

advice on NYC visit?
« on: June 10, 2010, 10:33:10 am »
Greetings ... I'm taking amtrak to NYC this Sunday (mid-day) and returning Monday (early evening).  Taking Mom to see her cousin from OZ, not seen for more than 30 years.  Staying at Sheraton on 7th at 53rd.

Since Sunday night is Tony-night, restaurant availability might improve in that area (?).  At this time, Monday is open, except several in the group want to be part of the usual Today Show craziness early a.m.  I'll skip that, since Matt L. has not yet come to see me .... HA!

I welcome suggestions on restaurants and good stuff on short notice.

Thanks!
Greg

BTW .... baha site healing well .... mid-July should be gotcha
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Jenn15b

Re: advice on NYC visit?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 11:27:11 am »
I was in NYC December 2008, if you can see the Lion King on Broadway, it is an AMAZING show, most shows offer cheaper tickets for matinee's, World Trade Center Memorial was great to visit, the tour is very quick but very emotionally overwhelming.  The NYC library was also amazing, however I went there because I am a Sex And the City fan (Carrie was going to get married there) the library is beautiful, lots of art work, and great stories are held there.  We ate at Gordon Ramsey's Restaurant Maze, while the 5 course meal was expensive I was glad I did it, but don't have to do it again.  If you want the designer knock-off bags go to Chinatown, for great cheesecake go to Juniors, it is in Times Square next to the Minskoff theater where the Lion King plays.   I also heard Jersey Boys was good, that would be my second choice.  If you have any questions let me know.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:28:52 am by Jenn15b »
3.2mm x 3.8mm
Diagnosed 3/24/10
Blog: www.jennsanjourney.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 12:38:35 pm »
Hard Rock Cafe - Madison Square Garden area - but bring your ear plugs  ;D

Will be @ the Jersey shore towards the end of July and may try to stop in NYC for a day or two - daughter wants to go to Tiffany's again  :'(   We'll see  ::)

Have a great time, Greg!
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

grega

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 08:51:03 am »
Thanks Jenn & Jan for your responses!

Back after short but fun trip. Time Sq crazy with all the TONY stuff going on ..... but then again, when is Time Sq NOT crazy ?!?!?!

Couple very exciting cab rides .... more thrilling than all the roller coasters at Hershey Park .... many streets like a full parking lot with all the cars moving all over the place as quick as they can .... and drivers with blinders on.  Too bad we didn't get the Cash-Cab!

Restaurants along 9th (Hell's Kitchen) more interesting and quieter..... I recommend Amarone (Italian) at 686  9th Ave.  Very nice.

Jenn .... FYI, on Tony night, all theatres post on their doors that they're closed cause no actors are available .....  :o  Will try to return sometime for a show ...... but probably not Sex & the City ..... cause not enuf car chases  ::)

BTW Jan why did you say ear plugs  ???  One will do, thank you!  ::)

Take care all!

Greg ;D
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Keri

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 01:35:57 pm »
Greg - glad you had a good trip. I went for a half day / one night / half day trip just after you were there. My husband was in work meetings, so i was on my own (which i think is fun anyway). I didn't see any shows - didn't think i had enough time. did times square, walked from my restaurant (broadway) down to some areas i had never seen - greenwich village, tribecca, kept walking south till i found the brooklyn bridge - walked over that at sunset. it was extremely crowded with lots of crazy bikers whizzing by, but really pretty. took the subway back (very tired and thirsty then). next day rented a bike and biked around central park.

jan - i went to the SCARIEST place in nyc - tiffany's. i hate that place (sorry!!) because my daughter loves it and PLEASE PLEASE MOMMY buy me somehting from tiffanys!! i feel like walking in and saying 'do you have anything less than $100?' i was going to buy her a little charm and it was $200. i bought her one of those little blue glass boxes for some outlandish price. what a waste of money! but it made my daughter happy and she's been through a lot this year and she was really thrilled. i guess i'm just weird - i don't like jewelry that much and can't tell the difference between a real and fake diamond.

i didn't get by ground zero. wanted to but ran out of time and energy. they are building a tall building and i wonder if that is the new WTC? if so, they've made a lot of progress.

i love going to nyc on the train - i got a really good deal this time. how did you get there, greg? did you drive?

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Keri

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 08:42:35 pm »
duh, i don't know why i asked how you got there... you said 'amtrak.'
greg, i looked at the dates. ... you went sunday to monday. i went mid day monday to late afternoon tuesday! too bad i didn't read this post a few weeks earlier! we could have gathered the an'ers for a MD crashes NYC support group!

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 09:37:19 am »
Keri -

I know all about Tiffany's  ::)  Not my type of place - nor is it within my budget - but prior to going to NYC two years ago my daughter informed me that it is THE biggest Tiffany's in the U.S. and she wanted to go there. 

She's been to the Tiffany's near our house (not nearly as large as the one in NYC) where she purchased a pair of earrings for herself.  She funded them through cash she received for her birthday, Christmas, and allowance.

Tiffany's in NYC is VERY impressive - if you're into that type of thing.  I thought the elevator operators were a hoot  :D  I set a limit of $100 which bought her a charm (cheapest option) for about $75 that matches her earrings.  My son spent his $100 @ FAO Schwarz.

This year I don't know if we are going to NYC but my daughter is already hounding me - and I have a hard time saying no - so we'll see.  My nephew from Michigan is vacationing with us @ the Jersey shore, so if he wants to see NYC we may spend a day there.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways