Author Topic: 12 days since translab  (Read 2309 times)

vinsterman

12 days since translab
« on: July 03, 2010, 08:31:01 am »
Hi All,

I wanted to drop a quick update, I'm finally a postie now 12 days from my translab. The surgery was longer than expected having lasted 11 hours. The tumor was pretty well encased around the facial nerve but my wonderful Dr's were able to fully resect it and still preserve the nerve.  I have had some facial numbness and have issues with dry/numb tongue and saliva production. It has definitely been a major change. I was hoping my balance would have been better but i do have some deficits to work on. Walking everyday is helping, its just taking a while. The pain hasn't been fun but the last few days don't compare at all to last week and like everything else its getting better, I've also been staying off the pain killers to help the recovery hoping it will my balance.

Thanks again for all the advice and help especially with the diabetes (my sugars were sky high and now finally dropping). I'm hoping to write a better synopsis once I can wear my glasses for more than a few minutes at a time.

Vincent

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 12 days since translab
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 11:27:21 am »
Vincent ~

Thanks for the update - and welcome to 'Postie-Land'!  I know that the recovery process can be challenging but time does help the healing and I believe that your dedication to your recovery and the work you're doing to reach your goals will all pay off, in time. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 01:34:31 pm »
It sure sounds like you are right on schedule w/your recovery!  Keep doing what you are doing and be patient.  I'm glad you had a good surgical team.  It sounds like they were really on top of things.  We will look forward to hearing about your progress!
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 05:30:23 am »
Vincent,

I'm very happy to learn you are doing well.  Just remember that as long as you are on steroids your blood sugar control will be a major challenge.  I didn't get mine under control until 4-5 days after I went off the 'roids.

Best wishes for a continued speedy recovery!

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

moe

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 09:55:48 am »
Vincent,
Congratulations on a successful surgery, and preservation of the facial nerve ;) Take your time recovering. You only recover from brain surgery once (most of the cases anyway :o) so listen to your body like you're doing.

Walking, resting, drinking lots of fluids. You'll know when you over do it, because you'll feel in the next day.

So glad your sugars are manageable. You were in excellent hands and seem to be doing excellent!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 10:34:45 am »
Congratulations Vincent! Stay positive, push hard and you'll be fine.

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 10:04:48 pm »
Vinsterman -

glad to see that your a postie!

Congratulations  :D

Your balance will improve over time; walking will definitely help.

Have patience,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways