Author Topic: Potential candidate for BAHA  (Read 2652 times)

Tracy Lynn

• If you are going through hell, keep going.
Potential candidate for BAHA
« on: June 28, 2010, 12:59:18 pm »
I had my 6 week post op with Dr. T today. He said everything looks positive.

He had me test a BAHA before I could even ask him about my options. Oh Boy! I think I had my Ahah! moment. I could definitely tell the difference, particularly when the headband started slipping and I couldn't hear again.

We also discussed the Transear and the Cros.

I think I will start seriously speaking to BC/BS about my options. I'm pretty sold already.

I work in a customer service call center so I'm very determined to hear as well as I can. Since I returned to work last week I'm struggling consistently to hear customers and the agents I supervise. I'm concerned that I may have difficulty with any hearing assistance in correlation with a phone headset.

Even though my agents know about my surgery, they get frustrated when I have them repeat things or when my left ear is covered and they try to talk to me. I imagine customers may have difficulty as well.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 01:12:02 pm by Tracy Lynn »
Right ear, 3.5 cm  Diagnosed 3-23-10 pre-op symptoms: 90% loss of hearing, headaches, Tinnitus.
Translab surgery 5-18-10
Post-op symptoms: SSD, Tinnitus, wonky-head
BAHA implant: 9-2-10

*Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end.*

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Re: Potential candidate for BAHA
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 10:11:50 pm »
Hi Tracy Lynn.  I tried to BAHA on a band (they actually had me take it home for a few days) as well as the Oticon Ponto.  You should see if they have the Oticon and then you will have a basis of comparison.  I am having my surgery this Wednesday for the BAHA.  My doctor's office did all the insurance checking, I didn't have to do any of that.  it might be better if you left it to them, because they are very good at picking the right coding so that the insurance company is more likely to say yes.  I am in California and have Blue Shield and they definitely approved it.  Good luck and will be anxious to hear what you decide.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 10:24:46 pm »
Tracy Lynn -

the BAHA is a great option (my choice) and so is the TransEar, but I'm frankly surprised that your doctor would recommend the Cros.  From talking to my own neurotologist, it is my understanding that the Cros isn't that great and that few opt for it these days.  It's kind of "old" technology.

I tried both the Oticon Ponto Pro and the Cochlear BP100 prior to upgrading (from a Cochlear Divino) and found I liked the BP100 much better.  I actually tested them both for my neurotologist and gave him a side by side blind comparison.  When I got my BP100 in April, my audiologist told me that so far none of their patients have chosen the Ponto Pro.  Although they are comparable devices, the service provided by Cochlear and their reputation as a BAHA manufacturer outshines Oticon.  Oticon has an excellent reputation in the hearing aid market, but the Ponto Pro is their first entry into the BAHA market.

If you do decide to get a BAHA, you should have your doctor's office deal with your insurance company.   And if your request is denied the first time, ask again.  Lots of first-time requests are denied, but persistence pays off and subsequent requests are usually granted.  Cochlear will even help you "fight" for coverage.

If you have any specific questions about the BAHA, I'd be happy to answer them.  Feel free to post them on the Forum or PM me.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tracy Lynn

• If you are going through hell, keep going.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 01:12:26 am »
Thanks ladies!

Dale, My BC/BS is through California, so that is definitely reassuring :)

Jan, I  don't think Dr. T recommended any of them per se, they were just the ones he mentioned as options that I was able to recognize names. I too was a bit surprised at the Cros, what i gathered its an older technology. He did give me the Cochlear website, so I assume he was going in that direction. I think I surprised him when I said I'd already been through the site.

I think I will leave the insurance to their offices.

My doc did seem to be having an off day, when he first came in, he asked me to go to another room to have my stitches and staples out. (which I did 5 weeks ago). I guess even Doctors have blonde moments.

Dr. T did tell me that if I decide to go with the BAHA that it would most likely be an outpatient proceedure. I was concerned that it would be more surgery that I would be laid up and out of work for longer. He explained it would be about 30-45 minutes, a day out of work, and then it would be a few months before I could attach the actual apparatus. I didn't realise that they use local anesthesia for the proceedure. The way he made it sound seemed no worse than a root canal or getting stitches. He managed to allay any fear I had.
Right ear, 3.5 cm  Diagnosed 3-23-10 pre-op symptoms: 90% loss of hearing, headaches, Tinnitus.
Translab surgery 5-18-10
Post-op symptoms: SSD, Tinnitus, wonky-head
BAHA implant: 9-2-10

*Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end.*

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 05:33:26 am »
BAHA surgery is  usually outpatient and it's MUCH easier than AN surgery  ;D

I had mine with local and didn't feel a thing.  If you decide to go in this direction, I think you'll be very happy with the outcome.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways