Author Topic: Why is it  (Read 6201 times)

arkansasfarmgirl

Why is it
« on: June 26, 2010, 11:27:49 am »
Why is it that I can walk and even run straight with a baby on my hip, ride a horse at high speeds through 360 degree turns around a barrel, stand on 1 foot with my eyes closed without falling over and I can't push a wheel barrow straight to save my life?   ???  WTH?  LOL  Anybody know?

Vonda

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Why is it
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 11:34:42 am »
Why is it that I can walk and even run straight with a baby on my hip, ride a horse at high speeds through 360 degree turns around a barrel, stand on 1 foot with my eyes closed without falling over and I can't push a wheel barrow straight to save my life?   ???  WTH?  LOL  Anybody know?

God's way of teaching you humility, perhaps?  Frankly, if you can do all the things you listed, Vonda, then your inability to push a wheelbarrow in a straight line shouldn't be of much concern.  Still, it is a puzzlement.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:42:45 am »
Humility.  Hmmm, you might be on to something there.  LOL  I'm really not complaining, it just hit me as kind of funny this morning as I was weaving my way out to the barn.   ;)

V

mandy721

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 02:06:28 pm »
The answer is so easy, you shouldn't be pushing that darn wheel barrow.
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

lori67

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 08:21:26 pm »
Maybe it's the wheel barrow out of alignment - not you?   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

nanramone

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 10:15:24 pm »
this is hilarious! I walked a brisk 8 miles on a beach last week, yet can't walk heel to toe half way across the room without falling over!!!
WHY????? is a great question!

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 11:12:00 am »
Well, since putting down the wheel barrow isn't an option (my hubby hauls hay and unloads feed occasionally, but draws the line at shoveling poop LOL), I guess I'll blame it on the darn thing being out of alignment.  That sounds good.  ;-)

Thanks for laughing with me...
Vonda

Lizard

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 12:59:13 pm »
This is hilarious, because I don't have many off balance episodes these days and I'm back to kickboxing and all normal activities (unless I have a headache, but that's a whole other story), but I can not push a wheelbarrow either.  Swear to God that I just thought it was me, and yes my husband watches me giggling.  I wonder if its just that things are never in the wheelbarrow exactly spread evenly weight wise and now we just can't seem to compensate for the tilting quite as well.

I know I am never alone on this forum, no matter how silly the subject  ;D

Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Tracy Lynn

• If you are going through hell, keep going.
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 01:44:51 am »
I would think that its time to invest in a 4 wheeled cart of some sort. :)

Right ear, 3.5 cm  Diagnosed 3-23-10 pre-op symptoms: 90% loss of hearing, headaches, Tinnitus.
Translab surgery 5-18-10
Post-op symptoms: SSD, Tinnitus, wonky-head
BAHA implant: 9-2-10

*Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end.*

Lynn Mc

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 05:22:22 am »
I got a 2 wheel wheelbarrow!!!  Was sick of the old one being out of alignment!!! (Love it Lori)!  Now I can go in a much more controlled forward motion without it dumping!
I also can ride my horse (no 360's WONKY HEAD BIG time) but seemed to be tipsy with the wheelbarrow!

Toooo Funnny the things that keep cropping up that we normally don't think twice about.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 05:24:46 am by Lynn Mc »
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

grega

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 02:27:11 pm »
Gee, how did I miss this one last June ?!?!?!

Vonda, check your load .... perhaps it's off-balance.  Is it a young child? :o  Is it water? ::)   Is it a barn-yard animal?   ::)

Let us know if and when .... and how ....  you overcome this dilemma.

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

suz

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 03:15:30 pm »
Thanks for the laughs.
I do not own a wheel-barrow but I certainly am not going to buy one after reading this thread!
I have a funny one to add - I discovered that while I can't walk a straight line heel-toe, and look ridiculous doing almost ANYTHING with eyes closed as a weave and wobble so much. BUT - I can walk sideways eyes open or closed; looking this way or that! Doesn't make any sense. My PT and I could not stop laughing at this weird phenomenon.
Since I have trouble walking in the dark I decided that if I ever need to walk the dog late at night I will just have to do so SIDEWAYS. But probably can't push a wheel barrow walking sideways can you? ;D
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

grega

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 01:29:07 pm »
Hey Suz .... sounds as if you might have had a bit of musical stage choreography, what with having no trouble walking sideways.  Simple movement to music usually includes sideways stuff ..... at least most of the community theatre I enjoyed did.

good that you're laughing about it!!   :D

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"