Author Topic: Just Diagnosed with An  (Read 1862 times)

xenoula

Just Diagnosed with An
« on: May 10, 2006, 09:42:33 pm »
I was diagnosed with AN by Dr. Storper in  Columbia - NYC. He recommends gamma knife.
14  x 14  x 12 mm in the left cerebelloponine angle ????!!!! whatever!
Trying to get info. on doctor's that take my ins. (Blue Cross HMO). Anyone have this ins.?
Dr. Storper recommended Dr. Sisti at Columbia but he doesn't tke my ins. 
HELP!!!!
Greek Goddess

Battyp

Re: Just Diagnosed with An
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 09:49:57 pm »
I xenoula and welcome to our exclusive little club. 

I'm sorry I cant' help you with any insurance infor for doctors in your area but I'm sure someone can!

Have you do any research in your area for gamma knife centers?  There you should be able to get some names and check to see who is covered.  I'd also recommend getting a case manager from blue cross who will coordinate your benefits.

thecakes

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 04:42:03 am »
Exnoula, sad to have you have to come to our club!

Raydean

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 04:43:23 am »
Most health insurances used to provide members with a Doctor/facility membership book.  You could ask the case worker for one,  Lately more often then not they provide a list of Doctors on line.
I'm pretty sure BC has a website,      www.bluecross.com    Type in your zipcode and  or click on doctors search.  It's important with whatever treatment option that you chose that your medical team has vast experience in the treatment of AN's

Follow up at your first appointment and make sure that you ask if they still take your type of coverage.  Rarely, but sometimes a doctor may drop the plan after printing  ( which may explain why they have the on line list now, it can be updated .  

know that many on this list will be here to help you  and walk with you as you confront various issues.     There's a wealth of inspiratation, knowledge and compassion here on this site.

Thinking of you
Raydean  

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 10:02:44 am »
Xenoula...I would do some serious research before making your decision.  With a 1.4cm you have all the options available to you.  Translab would remove the tumor with little chance of facial problems, but perhaps other side effects, theres the gamma knife you were told, there is the cyberknife, etc.  I spent 5 months researching before I decided on the Translab approach, which I thought best for me and my circumstances.  Get a second opinion and then shop around.  Its already been mentioned but go with the top guys you can find (who will take your insurance, even if you have to travel to get to them.)  I was fortunate and had a top notch experienced pair of surgeons in Kansas City where my kids lived so coming here was no big deal.  A lot of people here go to House Institute in California where everyone is top notch.  Now is the time to say to yourself "OK, I've got this problem, now lets do some research and see how to take care of it!"  Everyone on this site has been where you are, and they will, I assure you, give it to you straight without sugar coating and then add a little love and comfort to ease the pain.

Good luck, but research before making a decision.  These are really slow growing tumors.  You have time to make a decision.

Road Trip Dale!
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO