Author Topic: Heat sensitivity?  (Read 2627 times)

Tracy Lynn

• If you are going through hell, keep going.
Heat sensitivity?
« on: June 23, 2010, 01:04:29 am »
This sounds weird. I'm not certain if its due to the onset of summer, if I'm going crazy, or if its a weird post-op thing. I have found that I have become more sensitive to being outside when the weather is hot. I searched the forum, but didn't really find much.

I tend to get worn out moreso in the hot weather than I ever have before. I carry a small hand-held battery operated fan when I leave home.

If I do get stuck in a warm/hot place, I feel fairly nauseated and get headaches more quickly and with more severity than usual. I have taken to drinking so much water since surgery due to the dry mouth that I feel like I could float away, so I don't think its dehydration.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I lived in Florida for 13 years, so I can usually tolerate the heat. I have found that walking in the rain certainly makes me wonky-headed.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 01:16:37 am by Tracy Lynn »
Right ear, 3.5 cm  Diagnosed 3-23-10 pre-op symptoms: 90% loss of hearing, headaches, Tinnitus.
Translab surgery 5-18-10
Post-op symptoms: SSD, Tinnitus, wonky-head
BAHA implant: 9-2-10

*Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end.*

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Heat sensitivity?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 09:16:23 pm »
Hi there Tracy:  your symptoms do sound like dehydration,  though you have said that you drink enough water...   
The heat seems to be worse these last couple of weeks (I live in South Florida),  & we're all feeling it.
Keep drinking the H2O,  & stay out of the heat as often as possible.....

Always good thoughts,  Nancy   ps  glad I live in a condo with a pool !!!  Love jumping in any chance I get !
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Tracy Lynn

• If you are going through hell, keep going.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 12:06:24 am »
thanks Nancy,

I lived in Florida and I managed the heat okay there.

That's why I'm surprised that after 5 yrs in Nebraska now I'm having problems post op in 85 degree weather. It's definitely not as bad as Florida summers. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the how much rain we've had recently. It's been hot, but we've had severe thunderstorms here every day or every other day for the past 2-3 weeks. I don't recall Nebraska having such a rainy, yet hot summer.
Right ear, 3.5 cm  Diagnosed 3-23-10 pre-op symptoms: 90% loss of hearing, headaches, Tinnitus.
Translab surgery 5-18-10
Post-op symptoms: SSD, Tinnitus, wonky-head
BAHA implant: 9-2-10

*Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end.*

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 07:08:39 am »
Nebraska might be though this year!    Iowa is sure having weird weather with excess rain and enough humidity.    Last night was first eve or night no rain here as has been a daily event in some amount.    My sister in SE Iowa had it late afternoon yesterday though.
  At 5 weeks out one can still be having odd ways of feeling so being post op is probably part of it.   Just not fun.      I have never took humidity well and wish could do better.                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 03:34:58 pm »
I live in Arizona where heat is definitely an issue....I really don't notice it too much though, it's more of the pressure changes that get to me.  I noticed that you are just a little bit over a month post-op, so you will still be feeling run down sometimes, regardless if its the heat.  But then again, the heat may be just yet another factor in your recovery...each person does react to different things...well, differently! :)  So just stay hunkered down in the A/C and hope you are feeling better!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

sues1953

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 09:45:40 am »
Hi Tracy,

Yes, I too am having problems with the heat.  I have been through menopause and was sensitive to heat during that time but this is different.  I was thinking that since I am only 5 weks post opp that it's just part of recovery.  I'm trying to think of a way to describe what I feel when I get hot and the only thing I can think of is a fullness in my head that makes it feel like its going to explode.

I love to be outdoors but I can't be outside in the heat.  Thank God for air conditioning.

Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.