Author Topic: Other reasons for a widening of the IAC (Inner Auditory Canal)  (Read 6990 times)

saritarita

Hi,

I got a CT Scan the other day to exclude acoustic Neuroma. It came back saying I had "widening of the IAC" and the couldn't rule it out and recommended an MRI. they didn't mention n if they could or couldn't see an actual AN. Is there any other reason apart from AN that this could happen? My symptoms aren't a severe as a lot of peoples on this forum: constant tinnitus in ear but only bothers me at night and vague wobbly feeling, specay feeling and a bit unsteady. Also have cracking/popping neck and headaches on the opposite side but I'm guessing these aren't related.

Thanks!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Other reasons for a widening of the IAC (Inner Auditory Canal)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 01:37:00 pm »
Hi Sritarita - and welcome to the ANA discussion forums.

Although we're not doctors and can't offer medical advice, your question is valid. An observed widening of the internal auditory canal (via CT scan) is a common occurrence in the presence of acoustic neuromas - but does not necessarily indicate an acoustic neuroma.  The widening could be caused by other issues but only an MRI - with contrast - will give you the answer you're looking for.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

saritarita

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 07:20:32 am »
Thanks Jim, off to the docs again tomorrow to request an MRI with contrast-the hospital haven't triaged my referral yet so going to pay for it. Hopefully won't need to be back here!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 06:04:57 pm »
Welcome, saritarita .....

Even if you do not have an AN, please let us know what you find out ....... lots of mother/father hens/roosters on this forum.   :o

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

saritarita

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 08:28:22 pm »
Hi all,

Well had the MRI and I don't have an AN so the answer is yes there are other reasons-not sure what or whether its really relevant now. Will head back to gp re the dizziness & tinitus.

Good luck everyone who is waiting.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 11:45:40 am »
Thanks for letting us know the results.  Very glad it is not an AN.  Hope you have answers and treatment soon for your bothersome symptoms!

You can still keep coming back here for reassurance anytime!   :)

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011