Author Topic: Was fine, now nervous....11 days and counting!  (Read 2398 times)

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Was fine, now nervous....11 days and counting!
« on: June 19, 2010, 06:38:21 pm »
Ok, so I am having my BAHA surgery in 11 days.  I really have not been nervous about this at all.  Though I have not had an AN, I have had a non-malignant brain tumor with surgery (1991) and know what a big deal THAT is.  So, in comparison, this is not such a big deal.  I think it makes it worse that I am a nurse and worry about a lot of minuscule medical details that "normal" people don't worry about.  So.....any words of wisdom from those of you out there that have gone through this?  Any post-op pain?  Any post-op symptoms?  Did you feel claustrophobic under all the drapes during surgery? Did you have conscious sedation or just a local?  Just want some "BAHA surgery stories" so I have some things to latch on to.  I have privately heard from a few people with very positive experiences, but just wanted to put it out there to see if anyone else wants to share.
Thanks....
~Dale~
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
Re: Was fine, now nervous....11 days and counting!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 07:51:05 pm »
Best of luck with your Baha... not there yet but I am glad it is an option
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

ombrerose4

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 09:16:10 pm »
My experience with getting my Baha post was wonderful. I had conscious sedation, no pain at all, just alittle bit of tenderness in the area. I was allowed to take my bandage off the next morning and really, the whole thing was no big deal at all. There really is nothing to be nervous about. Relax, think about the joy's of the Baha and you will look back and say "hey, that was no big deal." :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 12:13:39 pm »
Thank you so much. That is very encouraging! :D
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego