Author Topic: 12 week and 4 week update  (Read 2229 times)

kiwi

• Facebook
12 week and 4 week update
« on: June 09, 2010, 03:00:56 pm »
Well its been 12 weeks since my 10 hour AN removal surgery and although I have residual tumour left on my facial nerve I am confident it will disappear in time.  I am confident my MRI wont show any regrowth. It is now 4 weeks since my 4 hour CSF surgery and I have no leakage but it is a bit weird having no ear canal though, however this does not really affect me in any way.
My balance is great, no need for any excercises or therapy as I think it was so bad before surgery once AN was removed and my balance nerve it was almost back to normal.  I still have facial issues....my eye does not blink or have any tears and I cannot smile yet, there has been some slight movement just under my eye on the cheekbone area. I assume thats a good sign, would be nice to have a normal eye though instead of having to rely on lube and drops.

I have an appointment with my ENT in a weeks time to get my clearance to start back in training at the gym for my next competition.   I feel better than I have in a long time and apart from a CSF glitch I think I have a text book recovery and I am so glad I had this forum to educate myself and my family so we didnt panic so much when my face went south and my nose started leaking! I have been back doing full time work for sometime now except when I had a week off for surgery, it has been great as it makes me feel like my life is moving forward. 

I have given myself permission to talk, complain and cry about all this AN stuff for one year but then I am going to put it behind me and move on.  My personal opinion is people dont want to keep hearing me talk about it so I am not going to and I just want to forget about it.  I will not let it change my life as it has taken up too much time and effort already.  I'm alive and I am going to make the most of it.  It is hard work staying positive but life is full of hardships and you just have to keep on keepin' on.

Jacqui
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 12 week and 4 week update
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 03:16:40 pm »
Jacqui ~

Thanks for the update and congratulations on your progress, which I'm sure will only continue.  You have an excellent attitude that will help you cope with whatever obstacles may arise during your recovery.  Feel free to vent here whenever you feel it necessary - and I hope you can start training again very soon. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lizard

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 11:35:39 am »
I second Jim's note, congrats!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

sues1953

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 07:00:52 am »
Jacqui,

I know how hard it is not to complain, people don't really want to hear it because they just want you to get better.

Here's to a positive attitude and moving on with your life  ;D

Thank you for your post.

Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 06:06:19 am »
Wow, you sound like you are really humming along there!! Keep up to wonderful recovery and if you do take a step or two backwards, don't despair! It's all normal!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston