Author Topic: work release rant and vent  (Read 3044 times)

Vtech

work release rant and vent
« on: June 09, 2010, 02:27:34 pm »
I finally told my boss what was going on and that my only symptoms were occasional dizzy spells. seemed to get it and then today i get called in HR office and was given a form to have filled out by my doctor saying I am able to work. The form is spacific to every aspect of my job being broken down. It made me feel as if I was an invilid in there eyes and a major liability at that. I guess dispite the form I also was upset that it seemed underhanded. It was in the works 48 hours before It was given to me. I would think my boss could have pulled me in and said we are putting this form together, it's not that we dont think you can do your job, but the company poicy is a such. I just want the same honesty from my employer as I have given to them. Ok I guess this is a rant and vent post... but where else can I rant and vent with people who will understand me and what I am going through.

Laurie
Age: 38,  Possible 3.5 cm neuroma found May 2010. waiting on second MRI to conclude either way . "Prey for the dead, but fight like hell for the living." (Mother Jones)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: work release rant and vent
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 03:11:31 pm »
Laurie ~

I'm sorry to learn that this has happened to you but frankly, I'm not shocked that it has because we've read about things like this happening before.  Apparently, your honesty has not been rewarded.  Your employer is attempting to lock you into a position where, if you fall down in your work or seek to take a LOA due to issues connected to your AN, they can deny you the LOA or terminate you for 'poor performance' and use your doctor's statement that you're capable of doing your job as a shield against any future attempt by you to use the labor laws (or sue) on the basis that you were physically unable to work at full speed and that you informed your employer.

Unfortunately, this kind of action by an employer usually indicates that they are seeking to separate you from the company because you've become a 'problem'.  It stinks and is heartless but it's also quite common.  It happened to my wife.  Fortunately , she had disability insurance that protected her income although she was forced to apply for Social Security Disability benefits (she was successful).  As they say: 'business is business'  

I truly hope this unpleasant work situation can be amicably resolved, Laurie.  

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brookes

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 03:51:23 pm »
Laurie ~

I'm sorry to learn that this has happened to you but frankly, I'm not shocked that it has because we've read about things like this happening before.  Apparently, your honesty has not been rewarded.  Your employer is attempting to lock you into a position where, if you fall down in your work or seek to take a LOA due to issues connected to your AN, they can deny you the LOA or terminate you for 'poor performance' and use your doctor's statement that you're capable of doing your job as a shield against any future attempt by you to use the labor laws (or sue) on the basis that you were physically unable to work at full speed and that you informed your employer.

Unfortunately, this kind of action by an employer usually indicates that they are seeking to separate you from the company because you've become a 'problem'.  It stinks and is heartless but it's also quite common.  It happened to my wife.  Fortunately , she had disability insurance that protected her income although she was forced to apply for Social Security Disability benefits (she was successful).  As they say: 'business is business'  

I truly hope this unpleasant work situation can be amicably resolved, Laurie.  

Jim

While this is certainly possible, I don't think you HAVE to assume the worst.  As a small business owner, I can tell you that OSHA rules and Workers Comp implications can be complex, and expensive to sort out after the fact.  It's entirely plausible that the employer is trying to establish that: 1) they can continue to provide a safe workplace for someone who has balance issues, and 2) that if an accident were to occur in the workplace, they can more clearly establish their responsibility.

I certainly hope it's not as bad as you are presuming.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 04:02:35 pm »
Brookes ~

For Laurie's sake, I truly hope you are correct.  However, my wife's unpleasant experience plus four years of reading similar stories on this website have stoked my admitted cynicism when employers start giving AN patients forms to have their doctor fill out.  That having been stated, I should have added that this could simply be an employer attempting to obey the rules and maybe, do a bit of CYA in the process.  On that basis, I'm glad you pointed it out.

Laurie ~

Please take note of the possibility Brooks mentioned: that your employer may just be trying top cover his bases, legally and is not attempting to expedite your exit from the company. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 04:40:47 pm »
Laurie

As the others have mentioned I hope your employer is just getting information to help them in finding work that is appropriate.  But on the down side you need to be aware that if they dismiss you, that would be illegal and you could fit it.

I truly hope for the best, it is hard enough dealing with the AN and now having to deal with work also.

TJ

Vtech

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 07:32:48 pm »
I too hate to think the worst but in this day and age anything is possible. I know I can do my job. I know my limits and my job does not come close to them. I am an IT/Admin clerk. I am not climbing trees or wires. I dont work with sharp objects. I dont work in the public. I spend alot of time sitting in front of a computer, ( no harm of falling there). And on the stairs I always use the hand rail, even before AN.

I do hope it's only policy and procedure. But I always like to think, Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Laurie
Age: 38,  Possible 3.5 cm neuroma found May 2010. waiting on second MRI to conclude either way . "Prey for the dead, but fight like hell for the living." (Mother Jones)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 09:04:38 pm »
This is just standard operating procedure.  Employers have to protect both themselves and their employees. 

They also have to follow certain rules to comply with the Family Leave laws, which your AN treatment may or may not fall under - depending on how much time you ultimately take off from your job.

It is in your best interests to be honest with your employer.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lizard

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 11:24:57 am »
I wouldn't sweat it, but yes it would have been nice for your boss to grow some you know what's and tell you what was going on before you were "ambushed".  I spoke with AR numerous times regarding my AN and surgery etc and they also had my Dr. fill out a release for work, but it still got all screwed up with ST disability.  No matter how prepared you are with your work and home life there are bound to be things that get messed up.  This just seems like one of those things.
Vent away, but I wouldn't let it ruin your day.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 10:28:20 pm »
I agree with everyone that your employer is just trying to cover the butts.  If you are bothered by how they did it or worried, I say confront the HR department.  I know they talked with me quite a bit before I actually had my surgery.  I felt much better knowing they understood what was going to happen after surgery and they were very understanding.  I am back to work and it has been going well.
You have a lot to worry about already, don't let yourself stew over this, just talk with your employer, it will make you feel better insteading of the unknowing.
Good luck with everything and you always have the right to vent here.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 12:03:55 am »
Hi Laurie:  I had to go through the same thing.  Needed my doc to say when I could return to work & how (3 days a week for 2 weeks then full time).
I also had to have my doc fill out an 8 page Medical Leave form justifying my time off.  Policies are policies.   I was glad for the approval of time off !
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Tracy Lynn

• If you are going through hell, keep going.
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 12:37:46 am »
I didn't have many problems getting on LOA. About a month before surgery I called my HR head and gave them all my info and the Doctors names, phone and fax. However, I didn't realise how difficult it was coming back from a leave of absence. I was concerned because I haven't seen my docs since my stitches/staples came out, and I don't see them until this next Monday. Last week I called my Dr's office and asked if they would release me prior to my appointment. After discussing it with my doctor, the receptionist did fax in my release. I called my HR to verify they received the docs.

Twice last week I still received calls from my HR director as the release docs stated I "may return on the 21st". Definitely sticklers.

I have a desk job and was very concerned about the use of my headset for the phone, but I haven't had any issues. More issues with co-workers that try to talk to my on my AN side.
Right ear, 3.5 cm  Diagnosed 3-23-10 pre-op symptoms: 90% loss of hearing, headaches, Tinnitus.
Translab surgery 5-18-10
Post-op symptoms: SSD, Tinnitus, wonky-head
BAHA implant: 9-2-10

*Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end.*