Author Topic: Wish me Luck!!!  (Read 5077 times)

onebadass350bird

Wish me Luck!!!
« on: May 08, 2006, 02:03:05 pm »
Well I'm leaving tomorrow for Miami for the Gamma Knife on the residual AN left in back in Oct.  I should be back on Thursday aftersoon assuming everything goes well.  Can anyone tell me how they felt the evening of and the day after they had theirs?

Tom
17 hour Retrosigmoid on 10/19/05 for removal of 4cm AN

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Wish me Luck!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 02:08:05 pm »
Tom,
  I can't answer about the Gamma Knife.  But I can wish the best for your treatment.  Zap that sucker.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

onebadass350bird

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 02:52:21 pm »
My husband is having GK on Friday for residual AN from his surgery in August. So I can't answer your question, but I can tell you we're there with you! He's having his treatment at University of Virginia. We're about 5 hours from the hospital, and they told us he should be able to drive home. I sure hope it all goes well. We feel pretty good about it all.

Thanks again,  so when are you leaving?  I'll post be on Thursday evening and let you know how it goes.

Tom

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 02:54:25 pm »
Good luck Tom!!

Please keep us posted on what happens!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 03:19:57 pm »
Good Luck with everything!

tony

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 03:42:32 pm »
The Gamma Knife was no worse or better than a long MRI scan
- actually easier because there was more room inside, so less claustrophobic overall
either way good luck for a uneventful trip
best regards
tony

shoegirl

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 04:03:48 pm »
Tom,

I had CK so I can't speak for GK - but wanted to wish you good luck!  I am sure you will be just fine.  :)

Best Wishes!
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 06:53:26 pm »
I had Gamma Knife on 4/18/06.  At the facility I went to, they give you a little white pill, I suppose so that you don't decide to bolt and run at the last minute, or get anxious about being in the headframe and being phasered.  This little white pill (Xanax, I think) does it's job quite well.  The whole experience, for me now, is kind of like I was kidnapped by aliens and taken aboard the mother ship for medical testing and then let go, with a muddled memory of what happened, and a lot of missing time!!  That afternoon I slept like a baby, or the dead, because I didn't hear the phone ringing beside me, or anything for about 4 hours, I think. I'm kind of sorry I was drugged up so much, because the experience was kind of interesting, and I was looking forward to taking it all in. But, maybe, if they give you a pill, you won't react as I did. But the nurse told us, "She will not remember some of the things going on here this morning."..so I guess that's what this pill does to you. On the billing we got, that pill cost $168.00.  I hope you read this before you leave for your treatment, because, honestly, it was very painless and stress-free...because of the meds. If you are put on steroids, be aware that a common side effect is insomnia. Get a couple of good movies or books...because you may be awake at 3 a.m and wondering what to do. That was the worst of the whole thing and I was soooo glad when I finally could sleep.  You'll be fine. 

:)
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

onebadass350bird

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 12:56:29 pm »
Well I made it home, and feel the same as I did....for now, let's just hope it stays that way.

Tom

DeniseSmith

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 01:28:59 pm »
Good Luck ;D ;D :D 8)

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 03:25:10 pm »
How soon before you know if it worked or not?

onebadass350bird

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 04:41:06 pm »
6 months for me

Battyp

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 04:49:48 pm »
Hoping in 6 mos you'll get great news!

I'm due next month for another mri...

nannettesea

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 05:17:31 pm »
Good job--we all KNOW it worked.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 11:02:46 pm »
Well Tom,

I had my 2nd follow up MRI today and will find out if there is any regrowth next Thursday when I see my neurosurgeon again.

My father who is now 78 and in excellent shape, had a bout with prostate cancer five years ago. Part of his treatment was receiving radiation five days a week for one month. Although he was uncomfortable toward the end of that treatment peroid, the cancer was stopped!
Radiation works. Now he's back to normal. He was told by his doctor - and I never forgot this - "There are two types of cancer that people should not die from anymore: prostate cancer and colon cancer". This is because of the detection and prevention techniques that have been developed over the years. But you have to be vigilant and fearless when it comes to having regular exams for these things which is where many people slip up and get into trouble.

Hopefully, I'll come up clean next week and be able to relax for another year or so. But I'll do whatever is required to stay healthy!

So, was it that there was new growth detected or just the residual "left overs" of the tumor that they zapped the other day?

Paul

5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.