Author Topic: My M.R.I. Scans  (Read 7635 times)

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
My M.R.I. Scans
« on: May 04, 2006, 08:24:34 pm »
My M.R.I. scans...Hope this works!.....Paul

5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: My M.R.I. Scans
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 08:34:27 pm »
Paul those scare me every time I see them.  Here's my fluffy ice cream cone of 3.1 cm:

3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 08:37:43 pm »
Mr. Cat
You are lucky to be alive--musta been the rock 'n' roll! I've seen MRI's on the web of large ANs your's takes the cake!  Bravo to your surgeon.

Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

matti

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 08:56:04 pm »
WOW :o   

What were your symptoms? did you have headaches?  Ditto what Capt. Deb said, bravo to your surgeon!

Gennysmom - It does look like a fluffy ice cream cone. Very symmetrical (must be that virgo thing again)

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

stein78

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 09:24:01 pm »
I'll say it again Paul, WOW.  I can't believe the size of that tumor.  I hope things continue to improve for you!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 09:26:45 pm by stein78 »
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 10:19:36 pm »
It IS a Virgo thing!!!!  see the three nicely formed scoops?  That would be peanut butter and chocolate, cookie dough, and moose tracks.  All my favorite flavors. 

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 10:59:45 pm »
WOW Paul, You win!  What we're not sure  LOL  You had some awesome docs working on you!

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 11:04:09 pm »
Raydean and Chet, do you have photos to share?  I'd love to see them.  And everyone else....I'm finding I'm fascinated by MRI slides.

Crazycat

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 11:58:42 pm »
Wow is right. I still can't believe it when I look at those scans!!

Ã‚   No Matti, I never really had much in the headache dept. My big problem was equilibrium and double vision, especially toward the end - and of course increasing deafness which I started noticing since 1999. I remember in January, 2002, the double vision started and I lived with that with no problem, even though I knew something was terribly wrong with me. Working as a musician 4-5 nights a week I figured that it was all ear related and had even come to the conclusion in my internet searching that I had an acoustic neuroma. But I needed the proof that only an MRI could provide.
 Ã‚  The average night at work went like this: I'd show up at the venue looped; feeling like I was on the verge of coming down with the flu, almost feverish and achy and always lightheaded. Yet, when it came time to work, to move gear and exert myself, I felt fine. By the end of the night at 2:00am I'd feel almost normal. This went on for two years or so. I was also jogging 5 miles a day during this period and when I'd complain about my symptoms, my friends would quip, "You're not jogging enough!" I thought at times I was hypoglycemic. I had friends that had type II diabetes. Several times they'd test my blood sugar with the kits that they carried around with them and my readings were always normal. They'd say, "whatever it is that's bothering you it's not that!"
 Ã‚  It wasn't until Feb. 2005 that my equilibrium really went on me. I couldn't even walk downhill without having to grab hold of something to break my forward momentum. I was staggering around like a drunk. I began to think I had either M.S.or a brain tumor. There were a few times the soles of my feet were burning. I remembered reading that Montel Williams, the tv talk show host and former Navy Seal that has M.S. reported having the same symptoms. Also, my handwriting was deteriorating.
 Ã‚ There were several moments that I remember as being especially powerful that I'll never forget. Moments that demonstrated to me very clearly that I was in deep trouble and something had to be done about it because there wasn't much time left.
 Ã‚ The first moment came when I drove out to a place where I used to run alot - a huge cranberry bog. I walked out to the path to begin and I just couldn't do it. I couldn't even take the first step. I knew I was done. The next moment came when I was trying to run, or let's just say, walk, at this point, down a trail in the woods - very hilly terrain. This was in March, 2005. I could not even remain upright going downhill. I ended up on my ass and crawiing down the hill and it was cold and rainy that day. I went to see my family doctor who always saw me as as an extremely fit and healthy person. At one point, during the exam, he looked down at his paperwork and declared, "I'm sorry.......You're sick, I feel bad". It was at that point things started happening in the way of treatment.

Ã‚ After that MRI, the doctors were kind of looking at me like a freak of nature. They couldn't believe that I had gone as long as I had.
I was lucky to have the people working on me that I had. The neurological staff at Mass General and Mass Eye & Ear are top notch.
 Ã‚   I had problems with fluid as well. Still have the shunt in.
 These days I'm doing well and back to my old routines but I still have more healing to do. I really haven't had to take so much as an aspirin since October! I have another MRI coming up next Thursday.

Ã‚                        Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 

DeniseSmith

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 06:26:50 am »
Paul,
I can only say OMG! and I am so happy you made it through.  Phyl says you look fabulous and that you would never know you even had the surgery.  I am jealous! ha ha!

I am happy you made it, I am happy to be your AN friend, you are much appreciated by me!!!!

Denise

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 08:03:21 am »
As with everyone else I am amazed at the MRIs.  Obviously, your general overall physical conditioning was a contributing factor in your coming through in so well.  Good for You!  I thought I was doing great but I sure didn't have that to contend with.  Keep up the great attitude and don't neglect that physical conditioning.  Do what you can.  I'm only 3 weeks post surgery but have started (at least to attempt) to jog again.  Keep us up on your progress....Man, I am so impressed.  Your doctor's were great.
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 09:05:06 am »
now, having seen these MRI films up close and personal.. trust me, seeing them on a computer monitor does not do them justice.  BUT, the sucker was big, CrazyRockerDude is doing fabulous and you'd never know that he had this sucker in his head nor went through surgery in the past year. He looks, sounds, acts (ok for the most part!) normal! :)  Does say a great deal about medical care in Boston... gawd, does that sound biased or what?  ;)  (go BoSox!)

Paul, I commend you hun and I feel another coffee run in our near future! :)

xoxo
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

onebadass350bird

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 09:13:37 am »
wow, appears slightly bigger then mine  :o
17 hour Retrosigmoid on 10/19/05 for removal of 4cm AN

Crazycat

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 11:48:50 am »
Thanks for all the kind words and inspiration everyone!! I'm so happy to have found this forum and be able to communicate with all of you!

And yes Phyl, it's almost coffee time again!

Paul

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 01:25:10 pm »
works for me Paul... Need to find an all-night coffee house so we don't get kicked out again! :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"