Author Topic: A few notes on headache meds....  (Read 19903 times)

moe

Re: A few notes on headache meds....
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 03:10:28 pm »

The first comment he said after listening at length and examining me was why didn't I have Gamma Knife, they have Gamma Knife at Hopkins

Really! What's the point in saying that, and ruminating about what COULD have been done? It's not like you can go back and change your mind! Each treatment rather it be GK, surgery, CK has it's risks. I hope you weren't offended. I would have been miffed. >:(
Anyway, I hope he helps you with your headaches, and at least you have the acupuncture! It's a goon nap time. That's what I do during my treatment, so you kill two birds with one stone!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Mei Mei

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 04:16:46 pm »
I know.   I felt badly.   There was a long silence in the room.  Now I have these headaches to deal with.  I sure hope the Verapamil helps.   The naps in the accupuncture sure are great!!!   I will post Verapamil on a separate thread to make sure people notice it.   I've never heard of it as a headache med before.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 05:33:18 pm »
Thank you, I am home relaxing and heeding your advice.   It's hard being the head of household and recuperating at the same time.

News to share:   I finally saw the neurologist that I have been waiting to see about the headaches this morning.   The first comment he said after listening at length and examining me was why didn't I have Gamma Knife, they have Gamma Knife at Hopkins.   He sounded rather frustrated because my tumor was only 1 cm.   He moved to say that he was going on a limb to say that he thought it was nerve damage during the surgery and now I have cluster headaches but not in the same place as the usual cluster headaches.   He ended the appointment by prescribing me Verapamil which is a Calcium Channel blocker and will take about three weeks to start taking effect.   He told me to come back in a month and if this doesn't prove effective he would give me a nerve block in his office.   He told me to continue the PT and accupuncture as I am doing.

That's all I have to report right now.   Will let you know how Verapamil works for me.   I haven't read of anyone else on the forum using this.

Mei Mei

Mei Mei,  I am glad that dr. is trying something new.  BUT, one thing with doctors and trials is HOW will you (or anyone in that position) really know which thing is helping?   Since you just recently started the accupuncture and now a new medicine, it will be hard to tell which is working best.   hmmm    And as for his "why" question.....NO one should be able to ask a stupid question like that unless they have been told they have a tumor growing in their brain and have to be worrying about it, etc.  (my opinion anyways)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Mei Mei

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 06:34:36 pm »
I know, good question Denise,   I was just thinking the same question myself.   I am now trying several things:  PT, accupuncture and now Verapamil.  How do I now which one is working?   I won't, but I am trying to zap this awful this from all directions.   I just got off the phone with a friend that is a nurse in Boston.  She said that she thought Verapamil was a good choice so I am hoping that I'll do well on this.   I only wish that I didn't have to depend on a drug and could go it alone with the accupuncture.

About the comment on my choice of surgery over Gamma Knife I guess he couldn't help but insert his opinion, now that I've lost my hearing and am having these headaches and increased tinnitus.   It was the risk that I took.  I wanted it out of my head.  How was I to know that the headaches would last this long?   I'm trying my darndest to get rid of them and move on to a normal life.  I spent half an hour filling out some forms for Social Security this afternoon and just looking down at the table to write for that long put me into another headache that took two hours to get rid of.   I feel like such a delicate flower.  It's ridiculous.

Well, talk to you all later.

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh