Author Topic: Capt Deb goes gluten-free!!  (Read 6886 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Capt Deb goes gluten-free!!
« on: May 16, 2010, 11:23:40 am »
After finally getting a diagnosis on my back problem that has plagued me for almost a year, I have been doing some research on inflammation and gluten-sensitivity.  My brother suffered from ulcerative colitis for years before he was put on a gluten-free diet and made a complete turn around in his health. I have sacroiliitis, an inflammation of the joint that attaches my spine to my hips.

Here are some of the articles I've found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten-free_diet

http://www.dlife.com/photoGallery/viewGallery.php?albumId=199&gclid=CPqn-5WU16ECFVhJ2godV3srLw

http://headacheandmigrainenews.com/the-gluten-syndrome-and-migraine/

http://www.thedailyheadache.com/2008/09/migraine-and-gluten-sensitivity.html

http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/news/20030321/migraine-linked-to-celiac-disease

I can't help but think eliminating gluten from my diet will help both my back and my head.  I'll be the guinea pig on this one, too!  Although I don't eat processed foods, I do bake my own bread and eat pasta.  Not any more starting today!

I'll keep you posted on this one and would appreciate any input from anyone.

Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Kaybo

Re: Capt Deb goes gluten-free!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:52:46 am »
Hope that helps you , Capt'n - I am anxious to see what you figure out!

Good Luck!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Mei Mei

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 12:21:33 pm »
My daughter while living in Baltimore and in Johns Hopkins PhD program was getting headaches and sore throats so at the suggestion of dad went to a homeopathic allergist in DC and he took blood and hair samples and said she was allergic to gluten.   She and now her toddler who has bad excema and bloody noses  have been on a gluten free diet for 3 years now and she swears by it.   She says she is headache free and has a  lot more energy.

I am going to try it.   There are lots of alternatives in the pasta section at whole foods and in the restaurant on Mother's day we told them we had gluten problems and they offered us gluten free bread basket.   The public is becoming quite aware of the problem.

Hang in there with it!

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Jackie

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 01:09:58 pm »
Hi Capt Deb,

It seems that many people today are finding  that they have an intolerance to gluten. My husband is a Celiac, which means he has a disease that he must be gluten free at all times! My kitchen is a gluten-free kitchen. The biggest issue with gluten is that it is hidden in many way, such as an artificial flavoring etc. When shopping for grocery items if it does not say gluten-free it isn't! Also teflon coated cookware, holds gluten, so if you have ever used cookware for cookies, pancakes etc. the gluten never comes out of the teflon. I had to rid my kitchen of all of those utensils, plasticsrapers etc. I have learned alot, and am most willing to share with anyone who may have questions! By the way, another interesting tidbit, if you pay your bills and lick the envelope, you are taking in gluten! More on all of this later, if you are interested!
Jackie in Oregon,( Kitchen has been gluten free for 8 years)
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 04:18:30 pm »
Wow, Jackie, envelopes?  Good to know about the Teflon--I hate Teflon!  I cook in cast iron or stainless with metal utensils.  Do I have to get rid of my rubber bowl scrapers? I am going to miss my homemade pizza, which absolutely rawwwks. My breadmaker came with a recipe book which includes many pages of gluten-free recipes, and our Earth Fare carries almost a whole aisle of gluten-free baking mixes and many kinds of alternative flour.

The deal with so many people turning up gluten-sensitive is that industrialized agriculture has turned to genetically-modified wheat that has had it's DNA altered and makes it unfit for human consumption but lots more profitable. I  have avoided fast food (except for Subway) and frozen crap snacks and dinners for years.  Now I KNOW there ain't no gluten in an apple or a head of lettuce.  We've eaten fish and organic chicken since it first started showing up in most stores.  I will probably not miss the bread and pasta too much, as I would rather eat a piece of fruit than just about anything else.  I guess I'll have to work on my risotto!!

Capt Deb

Jackie

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 07:01:56 pm »
Hi Captain Deb,

There are alot of gluten-free products out there, some good and some not! We have found a great bread, found in the frozen food section at Whole Foods is Udi bread! This section is totally dedicated to Gluten-free products. It's the best by far, as most breads are very crumbly, and the taste just isn't there! For Gluten-free pasta we have found Tinkyada brand to be very very good and they offer many different types, including lasangna noodles. For a great cracker, Glutino original's, taste like a Ritz. Yes, your rubber spatula's hold gluten, so you need to go to metal or new rubber ones that haven't been used for gluten containing products. Also sorry to say your breadmaker is now contaminated also. The biiggest problem with gluten is cross contamination. That's why they say that eating out can be dangerous. There is a wonderful Forum that we visit quite often for Gluten-intolerant folks. If you Google Delphi Forums.com/Celiac that should take you right there! They are wonderful, just like our ANA Forum. Again, I am glad to help in any way that I can! I make pizza, and lot's of other staples for my hubby! Good-luck, oh by the way, shampoos and lipstick also have gluten in them!
Blessings to you and hope your headaches go away, then it will really be worth it!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 06:45:48 pm »
On the anti-inflammatory front--Dr Love ran into a professional nutritionist from our local university today at Earth Fare and told her I was seeking out a holistic approach to my issues with inflammation of the back, neck and head.   She said I was on the right track with eliminating gluten from my diet.  She also suggested some tumeric capsules, which are  a powerful anti-inflammatory.  A few days ago he picked up some sour cherry juice, which I have been mixing with decaffinated green tea.  The cherry juice is pretty pricey, around $22, but it is very concentrated and I use around 1/2 cup in 2 quarts of tea.  I really want to get off the prescription NSAIDS, which are doing a number on my stomach. We'll see how it goes!

Capt Deb 8)

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 09:33:09 am »
Day 11 on the gluten-free, anti-inflammatory diet and I have significantly less pain.  Think I'll stick with it for a while!

A link to Dr Weil's anti-inflammatory diet tips:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02012/anti-inflammatory-diet

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 01:04:59 pm by Captain Deb »

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 03:53:58 pm »
Hey, Cap'n!  Dave and I started gluten-free and a lot of other things free in the last few months.  We didn't have any symptoms to remediate, just decided it would be good for our health.  We love all the new choices and recipes.  Good luck with it.  NancyMc
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 09:13:24 pm »
I feel that anyone having headache problems, or any health issue really, needs to check their diet. When I shop, I shop the perimeter of the grocery store--the fruits and veggie section, the chicken (organic, no-antibiotic or hormones) and fish dept and the fresh dairy dept for low fat milk and soy cheese.  I use the smart balance butter and this Hollywood Safflower oil and of course olive oil. I also hit the bulk food section for brown rice, nuts, quinoa, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, which add texture and protein to salads.  I hit the Bean aisle for my humus ingredients.

I grow a lot of fresh herbs which really flavor up salads and simple grilled proteins.  My homemade tomato sauce rocks and I put it on a variety of non-gluten pastas,  my fave being quinoa spirals.

The trick is to "Eat the Rainbow"--have as much color on your plate as possible.  Absolutley avoid fast food (except Subway where you can load a turkey on whole grain up with veggies that will make it explode! and that is a good thing. My favorite fast food is a nuked sweet potato with a little Smart Balance spread and some "NoSalt" sodium-free salt.     

I made my meat drawer into a veggie drawer so now I have 2 veggie drawers.

White sugar, white flour, saturated fat, trans fat, high fructose corn syrup have all been eliminated from my diet and will stay that way until furthur notice!!!!

Capt Deb

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 03:52:44 am »
Deb,
We've been doing a lot of reading, and we've eliminated soy (ALL soy, except tempeh because it's fermented) and pasteurized dairy and any butter substitute.  And get this, added coconut oil to our exclusive fat duo of raw butter and olive oil!  Love the tropical aroma.  Dave has even eliminated grains and beans as well as dairy.  He's doing the paleo diet.  I've lost weight and eliminated arthritis med and vitamins and calcium.  No more pills!!!  Except for that darn Xanax this morning to get me out of the tube alive.  Never taken it before and not sure if I'm more afraid of it or of the tube!
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

bell

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 02:07:32 pm »
Cap't Deb:
Thank you again for the insight and good luck in getting healthy and headache free!
Bell