Author Topic: Hearing aid spectacles???????????  (Read 6818 times)

Micky

Hearing aid spectacles???????????
« on: May 12, 2010, 05:51:05 am »
Hi all

Does anyone on this site use hearing aid glasses (spectacles) I have an appointment with my audiologist and are going to try a bone conducting spectacle aid that is attached to the glasses. If anyone has tried them would love to hear from you..

Mick
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 05:36:34 pm by Micky »
3cm+ Acoustic Neuroma Removed 30/01/08

jerseygirl

Re: Hearing aid spectacles???????????
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 10:38:48 am »
Hi,

All I know is that it is very old technology available for many years before BAHA and Transear were invented. I am not sure how its performance compares to either BAHA or Transear but historically this technology had low adherence rate for the following reasons:
  1) appearance - who likes to walk wired? Is it a hearing aid or a conversation piece? You practically advertise that you need a hearing aid and many people do not like it so much that the prospect of unaided SSD is actually more promising.

2) convenience- you lose your glasses, you lose your hearing aid. What about sunglasses, or different glasses for driving/reading? What if your eyeglasses prescription changes? You also always need your glasses to get hearing aid amplification. What if you don't always wear them? I would ask all of that of the audiologist who recommended that along with why he does not want to try Transear or at least CROSS hearing aid. To get BAHA, you would need to go to ENT because surgery is involved.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Micky

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 04:27:16 am »
Gday Eve

I could get a BAHA and have spoken to the ENT about it and had one at home for 3 weeks on a head band. Worked really well but i don’t want to have the operation and have something on the side of my head. I don’t really want to wear cross aids. So i am having a look into this spectacle hearing aid. A professor has a bone conducting aid attached to his glasses you can’t even tell he is wearing them he also just has plain glass as he also doesn’t wear glasses. I just want a little extra help hearing people on my deaf side even if it helps me recognise someone on the deaf side and i can then adjust my head to hear ect. I have been told its older technology but its seems in the UK they are still producing the units, This could mean a well deserved holiday :+)   look at the link below
Mick

http://www.spectaclehearingsystems.co.uk/

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 08:54:39 am »
Hi,

I did not realize that Transear is not available to you since you are in UK. I know they were working on it, so it might not be too long. I would call or e-mail them with the question. I really don't know how hearing aid glasses compare  to anything modern performance-wise but I refused it when it was offered to me after my first surgery in 1988. That was before BAHA and Transear were available. I know that most people after AN surgery refused either CROSS or hearing aid glasses in those times. I know only one person who went with eyeglass hearing aid and he was happy with it. I suspect it is similar in performance to anything else due to the nature of bone conduction. So, best of luck with it, hope it works for you and turns out to be an acceptable solution.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Micky

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 05:17:57 am »
Great news I am going to get a trial with the Amico@digit digital two-channel bone conduction hearing eyeglass

Link below cant wait!

http://www.coselgi.it/prodotto.php?id=10&l=eng

I suggest people who dont want a BAHA to try this out, I have tested the BAHA for two weeks and was very good, but dont want the operation ect. I tried on a pair of these glasses and it gave the same results as wearing the BAHA band. I am very happy  ;D

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 12:42:39 pm »
Micky ~

Thanks for the suggestion (and the link) regarding the bone conduction 'hearing' eyeglasses.  They're an attractive option for those of us who are SSD and don't chose to use a 'regular' BAHA unit with it's implanted post and attached sending unit.  Its always nice to have options and now, we do.  I hope this works out well for you.  I await your 'report'.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

k3vbr0wn

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 03:10:23 pm »
Hi Micky

Wondering how you got on with the Coselgi aid, would appreciate UK contact details and how you managed to arrange a trial. Did you try any other spectacle aids?

Regards
Kevin

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 07:43:18 pm »
Mickey,

very interested in your trial.

cheers

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz