Author Topic: Baha Aches  (Read 6742 times)

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Re: Baha Aches
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 11:36:02 am »
I'm not going to mess with BAHA.

Just not that important to me to have a mic on my AN side. I'll try out sound bite if it goes public though. I kinda wonder about BAHA. I mean just put a mic in one ear like a hearing aid and run a wire to the other like another hearing aid. I wear MP3 ear buds all the time.

Baha does not go into the ear.  It sits on an abutment which it is attached to your skull.  See here; http://products.cochlearamericas.com/baha/introduction-to-baha/baha-and-natural-hearing

It only requires an outpatient surgery and it can be done under local. 
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 12:00:19 pm »
I understand it.

Its not that I'm worried about a implant. I did get big Screw in my mouth were a tooth used to be.

Its just my SSD doesn't seem to bother me to the poiint that I would need or want it.

With my electronics back ground. I would just wire a small mic to my mp3 player and tape it to my glasses on my AN side. If I wanted to hear on that side that bad.

I think I will be trying soundbite out.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 10:06:18 pm »
Just not that important to me to have a mic on my AN side.

I kinda wonder about BAHA. I mean just put a mic in one ear like a hearing aid and run a wire to the other like another hearing aid. I wear MP3 ear buds all the time.

Funny -

a BAHA is much more than a "mic in one ear".  Trust me, I have one and it's nowhere near what you describe.  In fact, what you are suggesting sounds pretty similar to the Cros.

I use a MP3 player a lot.  And the beauty of it is with the MP3 adapter that attaches to my BP100 (BAHA processor) I don't even need ear buds.

You may be one of those whose SSD doesn't bother them to the point where they want or need assistance (BAHA, TransEar, etc.,) but if you haven't tried it, don't knock it.

I found the BAHA demo to be incredible.  One of the things that convinced me that I definitely wanted - and needed - one. 

The BAHA is not for everyone, but I for one am very happy with the titanium post in my skull and the "mic in one ear".

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways